VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay I have video files from a large number of sources. AVI, MP4, MKV I also have a lot of these that I have the same video where I have an original video and then one with maybe a few added slides from some video editor. I am also ripping a ton of older DVD's from family members but then I have others who sent me other family video stuff in a raw MP4 format. The problem is the sheer numbers of files. I am looking at close to 800 video files from 25 megs up to 2 gigs and all different formats. What I need is a program that will look through ALL my video files types and will tell me how similar they are to other video files (so something that is a raw video would show up at 95% similar to a video with some slides added in EVEN IF the format and size of the file is different).

In list form I am needing.

Video comparer (no Video comparer listed here does not do what I am looking for)
    Multi format.
    Compares videos across the formats.
    Does NOT compare just based on size and date similarities.
    Does this comparison in bulk so I can view these side by side to go through them.

Does such a beast exist?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by IMADVDNUT View Post
    Does such a beast exist?
    Technically possible. But unsure if there's one commonly available.

Originally Posted by IMADVDNUT View Post
    What I need is a program that will look through ALL my video files types and will tell me how similar they are to other video files (so something that is a raw video would show up at 95% similar to a video with some slides added in EVEN IF the format and size of the file is different).
    How similar is similar is an important question...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't this what Youtube does with their content recognition?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video Comparer, really that the name! Does what you need and is really good. I've been using it for years and highly recommend it. Start with the Free Edition and see how you like it. I upgraded to the Expert edition.

Here are a few things you should know.

Be sure to make a complete backup of the videos as it's easy to accidentally delete the wrong video. More on this below.

The minimum duplicate length it will detect is 10 seconds.

DON'T let it automatically delete the smallest file as the quality may be better on that versus the larger file.

It will show the % of duplication, but it's not always accurate, both high and low. Depending on file length, a 99% match may mean seconds or minutes.

Despite the site claim that it's really fast, it's not still slow, taking hours or even days if you have large files like Blu-Rays. You may see the progress % seemingly stuck, but it's still working. It's also CPU intensive. Even on my 17 Kabylake, 32GB system, I notice the slowdown.

Which leads to adding files. The free edition has a limit of 500 files in a single directory which is fine because it may show every duplicate instance. For example, if Videos A, B and C share the same frames, you may see multiple comparisons, A & B, B & C, A & C, etc. Gets confusing and sometimes you'll only figure it out when you can't delete the second instance. Because of this, work in batches. It will take longer, but you'll be less likely to accidentally delete something you shouldn't have.

It will scan .vobs, but not in an iso, so you'll have to rip your DVDs to folders/files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @IMADVDNUT

Re-reading your post, I thought you meant no video comparer does what you need, but I see your claim is the actual program doesn't fit the need. It absolutely does! Have you tried it? Despite the description on the software page, it compares the content of the files themselves as shown in his screenshot of it running right now:
    [Attachment 51616 - Click to enlarge]

I haven't checked the folder these files are on and started it a couple of hours ago, and you can see how slow it is in thorough mode. The folder is 1.66TB, 1113 files, 37 folders. At the rate it's going, it may take a couple of days to complete, which I why I don't run it too often.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Lingyi when I ran it it did not compare or show close matches to two known close avi and mkv files I manually had verified. So not sure what it is comparing but I just used a small sample for quickness sake and it didn't work. According to what it states it check the first 10 seconds of a video and I need more like the entire video because the first 10 seconds can be someone adding a slide show at the front. I need something that compares full files no matter how long the compare takes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems you've set the min and max duration wrong or the default setting is max 10 seconds. I've set my max to 8 hours and it definitely does scan the whole video, though not as thoroughly as the Full mode below. Also, was wrong about the minimum duplicate time detection. It's not 10 seconds, got confused with the duration page.

[Attachment 51621 - Click to enlarge]

Set your Scanning to Full. I tried at once, but it's really, really slow, compared to just slow in the Thorough mode that I use.

[Attachment 51622 - Click to enlarge]

The site lists http://duplicatevideosearch.com/ as an alternate on their benchmark page https://www.video-comparer.com/product-benchmark.php. I get a Malwarebytes warning (I use the paid version) for the Teemoon Video Matching link so beware.

The below shows what I was a talking about the A, B, C comparisons I mentioned above. A & B have exact matches and C&D have exact matches, but B&D are only close for one scene, yet ABCD are grouped together. I know that these are all news clips, so they're all unique. Confirmed by the low % score.

[Attachment 51624 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 51625 - Click to enlarge]

Quote Quote