VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everybody.
    First of all, i need to say that i've read this tread (Thumbnails for MKV files) by Steve01351, but it didn't solve this problem i have.

I recently switch to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Ultimate, And all my videos (Mostly MKV) custom thumbnail's background goes black after one or two refreshes in the folder.

Now, i installed K-Lite Codec Pack last version, like i always used. I always make covers in PS and save as .PNG for so many years in Win7, never have this happened before, I tried thumbnail catch deletion via DiskCleanup, I remove Photos app, i uninstalled Codec, Re-Install, I brung back Windows Photo Viewer via registry edit with capability to open most common image types, I even installed fresh win 10 pro twice !

This is what its look like:

Before refreshing the Folder:

[Attachment 51563 - Click to enlarge]

After refreshing the Folder:
    [Attachment 51564 - Click to enlarge]

List of My Installed Programs

[Attachment 51565 - Click to enlarge]

My PC:
    Cor i7
    AMD 470 RX (AMD Radeon)
    16 GB RAM

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    K-Lite Codec Pack is a crappy way of installing codecs,just install the needed ones such as lav filter,as to thumbnails install Icaros.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    K-Lite Codec Pack is a crappy way of installing codecs,just install the needed ones such as lav filter,as to thumbnails install Icaros.
    Hi, Thanks for responding.

I did those already, No luck. As i said before, I didn't have any problems on Win 7 for years.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's really annoying me. Wish somebody could point to something !
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Tombless View Post
    It's really annoying me. Wish somebody could point to something !
    Probably you should report this issue to Microsoft... (thumbnail generation mechanisms of the Explorer) or whatever software responsible for your custom thumbnail display.
    Quote Quote  
  6. install Win 10 on another SSD fresh and load the files into file explorer and see what happens.

Covers should not be displayed, but a screenshot of the movie itself sholud be displayed.

Install Icaros standalone.

Then the covers should work, if you enabled it in options.

You still can put your old SSD in the pc and use it if you like.

But stay away from Codec Packs like K-Lite, you also don't need AVICodec or whatever you've installed there.

You oly need MPC-BE which has Filters for almost every filetype and Codec used in it. You can also instzall LAV Filters which can also almost everything. Do not install more, because it is simply not needed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    install Win 10 on another SSD fresh and load the files into file explorer and see what happens.

Covers should not be displayed, but a screenshot of the movie itself sholud be displayed.

Install Icaros standalone.

Then the covers should work, if you enabled it in options.

You still can put your old SSD in the pc and use it if you like.

But stay away from Codec Packs like K-Lite, you also don't need AVICodec or whatever you've installed there.

You oly need MPC-BE which has Filters for almost every filetype and Codec used in it. You can also instzall LAV Filters which can also almost everything. Do not install more, because it is simply not needed.
    I'll try to do this things you mentioned. Thanks for reply.
    I had no problem in Win7 with all these codecs installed. Maybe it's Win 10 fault.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gdgsdg123 View Post
    Originally Posted by Tombless View Post
    It's really annoying me. Wish somebody could point to something !
    Probably you should report this issue to Microsoft... (thumbnail generation mechanisms of the Explorer) or whatever software responsible for your custom thumbnail display.
    It's possible. I saw people in Microsoft forums discussing the Png issue in Explorer. I'll do that to. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What you should do is for png files is right click on a png and choose 'open with' choose another app and look for Windows Photo Viewer' and click on always use this app to open png files.Check the box so it remembers your choice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What you should do is for png files is right click on a png and choose 'open with' choose another app and look for Windows Photo Viewer' and click on always use this app to open png files.Check the box so it remembers your choice.
    Just did that, brung bacl Photo Viewer via registry, Was good for 3 minute ! but it came back to black background again !

Installed new windows again, but no luck. Try another HDD on another system, no luck there too
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check the box to make it remember your action?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Did you check the box to make it remember your action?
    sorry for late reply. Something unfortunate happened
    Ok. Yeah i did all that. still no lock and no workaround from microsoft
    Quote Quote  
  13. PNG images show fine.. But when the Cover.png merged with MKV, it'll look like the photo i posted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am no expert here and I do not have win 10, but it looks like windows 10 can put shadows around thumbnails. https://www.google.com/amp/s/winaero.com/blog/disable-thumbnail-preview-border-shadow-...indows-10/amp/

Could it possibly be this is occurring for png?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    I am no expert here and I do not have win 10, but it looks like windows 10 can put shadows around thumbnails. https://www.google.com/amp/s/winaero.com/blog/disable-thumbnail-preview-border-shadow-...indows-10/amp/

Could it possibly be this is occurring for png?
    tried it. didn't work
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok just be sure you try with new file. Windows doesn't like to change its thumbnails unless the video is new or at least new to that folder. Even renaming fails
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Ok just be sure you try with new file. Windows doesn't like to change its thumbnails unless the video is new or at least new to that folder. Even renaming fails

I deleted thumbnails via DiskClean, restart, make a new mkv video w/cover somewhere else.. No luck ! same thing happening.
    Quote Quote