VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Okay so I needed to install Windows 10 now that Windows 7 is no longer supported. I've had been using MPC with ffdshow in order to see frame numbers in MPC.

I use the K-lite codec pack and installed the the mega version as that had ffdshow included. Somehow I'm not able to figure out how to use the ffdshow and configure MPC with OSD so I can see the frame number.

Seems I've tried many things things but output is stil the LAV filters. I can see MPC is 64-bit version and not sure if ffdshow is supporting this? Also I can't find a 32 bit version.

Would it perhaps be better to just uninstall the K-lite pack and separately install MPC (32 bit?) and ffdshow?

Or is there are another way to get frame numbers show? Also I can see ffdshow is not being worked on since 2014 so maybe there's a better alternative?

Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Disable MPC's internal decoder for the codecs you want ffdshow to handle: View -> Options -> Internal Filters -> Transform Filters..

You can right click on the MPC window while it's running and hover over Filters to get a list of filters being used. You should see "ffdshow Video Decoder" in the list when ffdshow is being used. If you configure ffdshow to use Tray Icons you'll see it in the Tray whenever it's running.

Or use an editor like VirtualDub2 to get frame numbers.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Jan 2020 at 08:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK, but is unticked making the filter disabled or is it the other way around that ticking the filter will make it disabled? I'm trying run a mkv/matroska file with DTS audio.

The "issue" is that I can't see ffdshow anywhere ind MPC. I've manually added ffdshow raw video filter and ffdshow audio processor under External Filters in MPC options. But right clicking when playing a movie only gives me the "default" filters and still using the LAV filters.

The path to ffdshow is C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\Filters\ffdshow when running the ffdshow VFW interface tool. I also see a ffdshow64 in C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\Filters path. Since MPC is running 64 bit should I use the ffshow64 folder instead maybe?

In the codec section of ffdshow video encoder configuration raw video is supported.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Unticking a filter disables it. By disabling MPC's internal filter you are forcing to use an external filter, one not built into MPC, a system installed DirectShow filter This happens automatically so there's no need to configure anything else in MPC. Make sure that ffdshow has the decoder for that codec enabled, Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow x64 -> Video Decoder Configuration. It's also possible another installed decoder has a higher priority than ffdshow, so it gets used instead. If so you can use a filter manager to give ffdshow the highest priority.

I didn't realize the raw filter also knows the frame number. So you don't need to don't need to disable MPC's internal decoder(s). Just enable ffdshow's OSD (and Current Frame) and Raw filter. Set the Raw filter to All Supported.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you. I somehow was able to give ffdshow a higher priority than LAV so I got it working. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I have similar problem, my soundbar only plays ac3 and I want to use media player classic with ffdshow sound filter to make the decoding. Can you tell me how you gave priority to ffdshow over LAV cause I can’t
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm using the K-Lite mega pack and during install you can chose to use ffdshow as filter.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply I did it but I couldn’t get ffdshow to work the way I want. I installed mpc be and it worked like a charm with its internal filter
    Quote Quote