VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in the USA but have many 8mm tapes to archive from a Sony TR2200E Pal Camcorder. The analog outs work but I get no signal from the s-vhs out. I checked the cable (newly bought) on another camcorder and it works. I don't recall if I ever successfully used the s-vhs out on this camcorder. I may have tried a few times in the long ago past when I was using it. Now I read s-vhs is superior to analog. When I'm back overseas I can look for another pal 8mm I guess but I tend to favor using the camcorder that most of the tapes were made in. I've had a lot of trouble in variations of I guess head alignment as I've archived my other minidv tapes. Do you think I should just go ahead and do analog. It's pretty time consuming and I'd prefer not to do it all over again. Thanks for any tips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hpcampr View Post
    I'm in the USA but have many 8mm tapes to archive from a Sony TR2200E Pal Camcorder.
    Are you sure?
    Video8, Hi8, or Digital8 recordings?

The analog outs work
    From Hi8, all outputs are analog.

but I get no signal from the s-vhs out.
    You mean s-video (chroma/luma separated video), not S-VHS (another entirely different tape format).

Now I read s-vhs is superior to analog.
    That makes no sense.
    s-video (black DIN cable) is superior to composite (yellow wire)

When I'm back overseas I can look for another pal 8mm I guess
    You can source PAL Hi8 decks on eBay in USA.

but I tend to favor using the camcorder that most of the tapes were made in.
    This is often a mistake, especially for VHS formats.

Do you think I should just go ahead and do analog.
    Hi8 is analog.

It's pretty time consuming
    How so? All video is realtime, even DV transfer.
    Quote Quote