VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, are all movies and videos are made with fixed frame rate , say 23.97 or 29.97 or it is left to users choice.
    Normally every mp3 adi has fixed rate of 128 kpbs.
    i want a detailed reply to this query.
    can i make settings in vlc media player to have this rate for all my playing playable videos.
    If so, please tell how to fix that.
    If i change the fps rate and save for one video, normally the settings are not changed in vlc media player in convert and save settings like choosing container or profile
    why then i had the problem of playing a vfr file, when i experienced a fast moving movie in my samsung tv, which supports 30 fps
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vlc is in this instance a player so you can not alter the frame rate of the video that plays.

Your quoted mp3 at 128 kbps has nothing to do with frame rate.

Frame rate is generally fixed - do not confuse this with bitrate - yet some applications do create variable rate. Even then audio will still be at a fixed rate (Others may correct me yet in all my years I have NEVER seen variable bitrate audio and audio can not be counted in frames)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i create vbr mp3s all the time for audio listening.

[Attachment 51497 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    are all movies and videos are made with fixed frame rate
    No.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    are all movies and videos are made with fixed frame rate
    No.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    vlc is in this instance a player so you can not alter the frame rate of the video that plays.
    You can, despite the ability is rarely used.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ...audio can not be counted in frames.
    How can't?..

Originally Posted by jraju View Post
    why then i had the problem of playing a vfr file... in my samsung tv.
    Decoding capability limit. Consult the TV manufacturer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No. Vhs, Dvd, bluray, broadcast are all fixed frame rates. Commercial.

Things home users create - can be anything.

Vfr properly encoded should play fine on any computer whether connected to monitor or tv. Else, player or encoding has an issue.

If you attempt to play a vfr directly with a tv that supports media playback from a drive or network, most don't support vfr right.

Test by re encoding in handbrake set to a fixed frame rates, then test playback.
    .in the future, lock encoding frame rate.

No, not all videos use mp3 128. Tons of audio formats in use in videos.

Further diagnosis, upload 10-20 seconds clip with the issue
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    ...in the future, lock encoding frame rate. (CFR assumed)
    Note: the reason to use CFR over VFR is mainly for legacy support, while the CFR schema itself is suboptimal. More on the Topic
    Last edited by gdgsdg123; 21st Jan 2020 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Note: the reason to use CFR over VFR is mainly for legacy support, while the CFR schema itself is suboptimal.
    Apparently not always, I read recently about ffmpeg's internal AAC encoder :
    “This VBR is experimental and likely to get even worse results than the CBR.”
    Yet it's also mentioned that : “as of 2017 libfdk_aac may not always be better than aac for AAC-LC. The built in aac encoder is quite good.”
    Quite confusing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. http://soundexpert.org/encoders-320-kbps

Video or audio, vfr/vbr can save bits and/or produce a higher quality encoding at a certain data rate.

However, simply increasing the cfr/cbr rate somewhat negates that.

Also, switching to a more efficient codec at the same bit rate improves the quality much more than cfr to vfr. Like h.265 vs h.264 or aac vs mp3.

But when doing that, you're simply saving bits, but reducing compatibility and easy encoding/decoding.

Cfr mp4+cbr mp3 is the easiest way to test the tv and ensure compatibility across a wide range of devices.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Note: the reason to use CFR over VFR is mainly for legacy support, while the CFR schema itself is suboptimal.
    Apparently not always, I read recently about ffmpeg's internal AAC encoder :
    “This VBR is experimental and likely to get even worse results than the CBR.”
    Yet it's also mentioned that : “as of 2017 libfdk_aac may not always be better than aac for AAC-LC. The built in aac encoder is quite good.”
    Quite confusing.
    Wrong topic...

Anyway, there seems to be a serious bug with the FFmpeg's native AAC encoder. Test if you have the interest.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    ...switching to a more efficient codec at the same bit rate improves the quality much more than cfr to vfr. Like h.265 vs h.264.
    Correct in general but you used a wrong example...

Originally Posted by gdgsdg123 View Post
    After various testing I choose to stick with x264 as x265 actually yielded worse result (both efficiency and quality wise) for my usage.

Also check this.

Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    ...ensure compatibility across a wide range of devices.
    Note: compatibility and performance are usually mutually exclusive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Wrong topic...

Anyway, there seems to be a serious bug with the FFmpeg's native AAC encoder. Test if you have the interest.
    Oops, sorry, how inattentive of me, I must have been low on sugar at that moment...
    I should try that woman's regimen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395589-one-video-and-subtitle-play-well-in-vlc-and...t-fast-in-tvHi, all that posts i missed reading, as i did not receive any email alerts for days. I then came to this fourm from googling and then found so many answers.
    i request all the answerers to see the post in the link.
    i am mixing bitrate with frame rate, as video is only having frame rate
    My query is, to gdgs
    how that cfr could be achieved in vlc, could you say. there is no direct settings for this in vlc.
    The link i mentioned is
    Quote Quote