Sorry all, as a lead poster of "This has been discussed and answered XXX times!", I'm trying to help the OP in this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395506-Help-digitizing-large-collection-dvd-s/page3#post2569182 with suggestions for organization and playback of his locally stored DVD collection.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about Video Organizer software as 99.9% of what I collect is Asian and couldn't be properly, even semi-automatically be organized. I've pointed the OP here and hopefully he participate[s and] give[s] clearer expectations of what he wants/needs.
From what I know from our posting back and forth on his thread. Sorry for the wall of text, but IMO, the other thread has been derailed with suggestions that don't address his primary need. A good Video Organizer.
- He's building a PC (which he has other uses for) and will use it for ripping his already decrypted movie only DVDs to a local hard drive. No Blu-Ray rips for now (he has an Oppo) or UHD.
- He can store everything and play everything from a hard drive connected to his PC which I'm very, very highly recommending. NO streaming or re-encoding whatsoever.
- The HDMI output of the PC will be feed into his A/V receiver with the outputs already hardwired to his projector and TV in separate rooms.
- He likes [the] interface of Netflix and the interface of Plex (again, for local playback only), but decided against it because it doesn't handle .iso(s). Suggestions for converting his DVDs to .mkv is a possibility, but hasn't been confirmed or declined.
- He's currently leaning towards the DVDFab Movie Server because he likes the interface, but which I'm highly discouraging because it's an Android Box running a customized version of 5.1! Also, from his last post, I think he's a bit confused about its function as a standalone device.
- He's hoping to have as much of the thumbnails and metadata automatically updated as possible, but is willing to add/correct the data himself as needed.
- Some are recommending NAS and RAID, but since his collection is ~900 DVDs, movie only, it will easily fit on a single 8TB or larger hdd. Again, NO streaming whatsoever. Sorry, posters aren't reading past the OP's first post. Backups will be through a second hdd placed into an internal drive cage on the PC.
- Remote control of his A/V receiver will be his excellent whole home system, but PC or other device control may be an issue. Roku is out, [requiring] a $1000 upgrade to his system to include, in addition to being IMO, a poor device for local playback only.
I look forward to everyone giving strong suggestions (ideally low cost or free) that will suit the OP's needs well.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Last edited by lingyi; 16th Jan 2020 at 02:57.
WOW, a strange silence here. Haven't had a chance to start my build but like the idea of converting to MKV as it seems that most Video organizers will play this type. Hopefully other posters will chime in and I'll keep you posted on build.
The other reason for no response is that -- and this opinion of mine goes way back to the mid-1990s when I was briefly involved in ultra-high-end home theater systems and people were just starting to put their DVD collection on LAN servers -- a video organizer is, if you will pardon the expression, "polishing the turd." I mean, if I want to watch "Casablanca," how hard is it to find that? And, if I can't quite remember the title, and only remember Bogart and Bergman, I can Google it, or go to IMDB, have the answer in five seconds, and then fetch the movie from my server.
Also -- and this one comes from someone with massive DVD collections, some of them one-of-a-kind, but many just garden variety movies and music performances -- 99% of the stuff most people have in their collections can be streamed.
I'm not saying you shouldn't be doing what you're doing because, as the French say: À chacun ses goûts. Instead, my point is that, given what I said above, you may find that not many people are doing what you are doing, and therefore not able, or not interested, in helping.
In what other thread has it been discussed ?
Appreciate your input.
Thread is listed under Help-digitizing-large-collection-dvd-s