VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    after one captures a vhs movie using virtualdub at the recommended size format what's the best way to resize it without loosing quality
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you mean by resize? Smaller video frame (eg 720x576 to 320x240) or a smaller file size (eg a 5 GB file to a 1GB file)? Do you have playback restrictions (eg DVD, Blu-ray, must be mkv with high@4.1 AVC, whatever)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    sorry video frame size to it come up to the tv size
    its in 320240 and its a wide screen movie so there is huge black top and bottom

interlace and noise is a problem what's the best codes to use to gain a better picture

I know this sounds dumb but I must have hit some thing as now I can't get a monitor picture on the screen from the capture card
    just white screen and the sound working at the bottom
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by xenon1 View Post
    sorry video frame size to it come up to the tv size
    its in 320240
    If the tape is PAL, go back and recapture at 720x576 25fps. If NTSC, then 720x480 at 29.97fps. What ever possessed you to cap at 320x240? Don't worry about upscaling to the television's resolution. It does its own upscaling.

To deal with the black bars, after the capture crop them away and resize to the correct aspect ratio. And after the recapture, provide a 10-second untouched sample so we can have a look.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Agreed.

Cropping (cutting off the black letterbox from the video captured) generally retains the best video quality.
    Resizing it (eg. 320x240 to 640x480 if done in an integer multiple (320x2 = 640 pixels) is the best option available.
    A non-integer multiple means things won't resize up evenly per pixel, so you'll have more quality loss.

Capturing at the higher resolution of 640x480, 720x480, or similar (depending on your hardware) is FAR better since VHS tapes have much more info than 320x240.

Without doing a TON of post-processing, feed it through Handbrake to output to a 720x480 (or appropriate resolution for your needs) with crop.
    This will give you an idea of the quality you can get with a 320x240 input, then you can decide if you need to recapture at a higher resolution for better quality.

Otherwise, tons of programs out there that can resize - any video editing program from free Blackmagic Davinci or Avid Media Composer First to Adobe Premiere, Vegas Video, etc.

While these are based on older mathematical resizing algorithms that have been in use for decades, the latest are AI image / video resizers which can re-generate image detail that isn't in the original from AI calculations.
    eg. https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/
    (Pulling out each from isn't hard with virtualdub, etc to feed such programs.)
    https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/05/tutorial-upscaling-video-with-topaz-ai.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Cropping (cutting off the black letterbox from the video captured) generally retains the best video quality.
    Wrong. Mask, not crop.

Resizing it (eg. 320x240 to 640x480 if done in an integer multiple (320x2 = 640 pixels) is the best option available.
    No. Recapturing is.

since VHS tapes have much more info than 320x240.
    Wrong. VHS is about 250-300x480 in digital equivalent (NTSC), or x576 PAL.

feed it through Handbrake to output
    No.

Otherwise, tons of programs out there that can resize - any video editing program from free Blackmagic Davinci or Avid Media Composer First to Adobe Premiere, Vegas Video, etc.
    Not all are equal. There are many resize algorithms. I'd far prefer Avisynth for resizing, specify my own algorithm, rather than let the computer make my choice.

While these are based on older mathematical resizing algorithms that have been in use for decades, the latest are AI image / video resizers which can re-generate image detail that isn't in the original from AI calculations.
    eg. https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/
    That's not AI, I get so tired of people/companies misusing the term. The "AI" is just branding/marketing here. This filter is just a non-basic algorithm. And TopazLabs isn't doing anything new, and them having resize software isn't new. In fact, they're known (infamously) for BS before/after.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I would love to retry and do this again but somehow I made mess of the program and these is no monitor picture in capture
    it simply won't come up the sounds there's the ntsc is correct this applies to both video and svideo inputs
    I don't have the foggiest what I did but that applies to the normal program 64 and the mpeg version just installed
    Quote Quote