VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using OBS to record a 3Mbps sports video stream (in Chrome) on an old laptop. It works fine but I'm still interested in other, hopefully less resource intensive options.

I'm a novice at this and not sure what specs I need to provide so here's....a ton of them -

System

Processor - Intel Pentium Dual Core 2020M 2.40 Ghz (full spec sheet)
    GPU - Onboard Intel HD Graphics (Shared system memory)
    RAM - 6 GB DDR3 1600
    Operating System - Windows 8.1

Current OBS Video/Output Settings

Original Resolution - 1280 x 720
    Output Resolution - 960 x 540 (I'm downscaling because 720p maxed out CPU)
    Format - MP4
    Encoder - x264
    Rate Control - CBR
    Bitrate - 1920 Kbps
    Frames Per Second - 30.00
    CPU Preset - Veryfast
    Profile - Baseline
    Tune - None
    Process Priority - Normal
    Renderer - Direct3D 11
    Color Format - NV12
    Color Space - 601
    Color Range - Partial
    Sources - Enable Browser Source Hardware Acceleration

With this setup the load on the CPU stays right around 50% and RAM around 30% but, as mentioned, I'd like to use less and still get decent quality results.

I'm fine with free or paid ( under $100) options. If you have a suggestion I'd love to hear it. Any suggestions on what settings I can tweak for quality/resource balance would be a bonus.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Is the laptop using a ssd drive?
    If you increase the bitrare/resolution/etc, and the hdd isn't fast enough to handle the data rate, it'll max out.

2. Mp4 is very cpu intensive to encode without an Intel cpu that has Quicksync (typically all i3-i9 cpus after the second generation.)

Lighter formats like mpeg-2 can help lighten the load on her cpu during recording. You'd have to encode to mp4 afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You shouldn't... unless you don't care about quality.

Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    ...sports video stream (in Chrome)
    The best approach is using utilities like youtube-dl to grab and store the stream directly.

Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    1. Is the laptop using a ssd drive?
    If you increase the bitrare/resolution/etc, and the hdd isn't fast enough to handle the data rate, it'll max out.
    This is not the case.

This post may help you get some ideas on in what case such situations may occur...

Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    2. Mp4 is very cpu intensive...
    MP4 is merely a container format... in which various video formats can be used.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The best approach is using utilities like youtube-dl to grab and store the stream directly.
    Yeah, been down that road. There's a ton of additional scripting necessary that's way, way over my pay grade.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try BBflashback. That program has been around since forever and worked on much older hardware. Says minimum requirements are lower than OBS studio's. Prettty sure the configuration is a lot more limited though. Might even only output to more ancient formats like .avi and .wmv.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    ...a ton of additional scripting necessary that's way, way over my pay grade.
    Is the CLI really that hard?..

Leave information about the streams you're trying grab, I might have the interest to figure it out for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Actually, I think taking screen recording can consume lots of source of the computer. I think upgrading your PC is a better choice. Or you may try some light-weight ones.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also recommend you upgrade your laptop or buy a new laptop, there are a lot of budget laptops nowadays and I'm sure you can buy a cheap one and can perform more than enough with your task.
    Quote Quote