VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does it have a file size limitation? It opens a 140GB file with no problem on the same RAID drive. I want to cut the MOV file without compression, is there another software that can do that? Video uses v210 codec. I'm using AJA Kona Quicktime codec 4.0 to decode. MP4Box, Yamb, MPEGstreamclip all crashes. Avidemux says it only supports H.264/265. Below is the error I get on Windows 7 64bit.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: QuickTimePlayer.exe
    Application Version: 7.79.80.95
    Application Timestamp: 56689a14
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_ef1a
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c000041d
    Exception Offset: 74954bfb
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: ef1a
    Additional Information 2: ef1a5c26c968aa33f0b7c9bb536b7677
    Additional Information 3: e146
    Additional Information 4: e14619e67cc3e02c71653e942a45defa
    Last edited by digicube; 9th Jan 2020 at 22:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    He clearly says Windows 7, did he edit it after you moved it?

OP: I don't think it's a problem with Quick Time, I think it's a RAM limitation, that's a huge file to try and open in a media player. Can you open it in an NLE or other media player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by aedipuss; 9th Jan 2020 at 12:21. Reason: dupe
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I added Windows 7 after he moved it but the error message was in original post. I have 32GB RAM. The video plays fine in MPC and VLC. Adobe Premiere can open it but I can't export it without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. another option to cut / streamcopy is ffmpeg

And re-encoding doesn't really matter in your case since v210 is uncompressed 10bit 422; as long as it's decode properly , not some RGB conversion in between. So premiere will work
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks ffmpeg seems to work and my choice. If it can't go through the whole 700GB, I'll report back.
    Quote Quote  
  8. For ffmpeg v210, make sure you use -c:v copy (ie. not re-encoding -c:v v210)

Re-encoding v210 to v210 isn't necessarily lossless in ffmpeg, because it's v210 encoder actually clips to 4-1019 (but usually you won't have data in that range for "normal" sources, and even if you did, the impact would be negligible in most cases) . It's just something to be aware of, because other v210 exports from premiere, resolve, avid, fcp/x, vdub2 etc... do not do that. I filed bug report but apparently nobody wants to fix it
    Quote Quote  
  9. My source is SD capture of VHS tape. I used -codec copy which should be the same as -c:v copy. It retains the MOV container, so it's preferable to Adobe Premiere which may take longer and uses AVI container.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved back to editing forum.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ffmeg was able to cut the 700GB file to 350GB and Quicktime was able to open it without crashing but Quicktime crashes when I try to open a 150GB file captured using Blackmagic Media Express. I notice the difference between the two in MPC media info is the writing application. The 350GB file cut by ffmpeg is Lavf58.26.100 while the 150GB file is Apple QuickTime. Maybe it has something to do with AJA Quicktime codec. I should try a different v210 Quicktime codec. I'm trying to find Blackmagic v210 Quicktime codec, does anyone know where I can download it?

The problem occurs with small and large files, so I've conclude it's not a size limitation.
    Last edited by digicube; 10th Jan 2020 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote