VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am trying out a Betacam Compact Player J-30SDI that has not been used some years. I connected it to my MacBookPro via the FireWire 400 cable, opened up Final Cut 7 and it recognized it. But when I put in a tape no image and no timecode appear, on the deck and also on the Laptop. Any suggestions? There is filmed material on the tape. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The best way to capture Betacam tapes in their full original format is to use SDI output, then use SDI to USB 3.0 adapter, DV is a bottle neck for the format, Essentially the player down convert lossless SD SDI to a lossy DV for convenience when DV tapes were used by semi professionals, it does make no sense nowadays to use such port at all, That's the reason I got the J3-SDI instead of the J30-SDI because that's the difference between the two units, a useless firewire/DV card.
    Possibly you got a bad firewire card in the player, try other outputs and see if they are working.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you dellsam34! I only have this deck and have to make it work. My main problem is that when I put a tape in the deck and press play, no timecode runs. I have tried several tapes. Thank you for your ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is a button for 3 types of timecodes press it and it will go from one to another, also try another output like composite or S-Video to make sure the tape has contents.
    I didn't say get another deck, I just said use SDI out instead of DV port.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I will try it out tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your answers, they were very helpfull. Now I would like to know what software do you recommend to capture on MAC?
    Quote Quote