VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm capturing my old Video8 cassettes videos with VirtualDub2 and Pinnacle PCTV 100i (pci-card). I am using x264 VFW with Superfast CRF 25 and fast decode and zero delay and "virtualdub hack" checkbox enabled.

It all works very well, except some parts of some videos are captured with a high pitched (Mickey mouse voice) and appear to be played too fast. It happens in the middle of a cassette and stops in the middle of a cassette, so the rest is "normal". And I have no idea why?!

I am using a separate very old video 8 player(Sony EV-P10E) with cinch output and no LP or SP options ( I know of) although it states in the device manual it can play LP and SP. Furthermore I don't know if the tapes where initially captured partly in LP, accidently.

* What is causing the high voice and faster replay?
    * Does VirtualDub2 recognise LP automatically?
    * Do I have to change anything on the cassettes if it's LP?
    * Is it possible that the PC was too stressed and wrote the data too fast to the avi x264 file?
    * What's the best way to troubleshoot this? (Cassettes and player are very old, so I don't want to stress them alot by trying myself all sort of different solutions.)
    Last edited by Capturix; 3rd Jan 2020 at 16:09.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me add: Virtualdub2 shows not a single dropped frame, no errors and I finish the capturing process in time (30 minute cassette finishes after ~32 Minutes). And I chose PAL B with VCR and 25 FPS.

I will try to locate the sequence on the tape and try capture it with no audio compression. But the tape and player are very old, and Im afraid to stress them too much, and I dont want to brake them with trying different methods.

My first quess was the LP/SP (longplay/standardplay) ... and I couldn't figure out how Virtualdub2 deals with this. Maybe I'm wrong, but could this be the issue?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's possible that the player you got does not support LP (or fails to swap to LP mode). Switching between SP/LP is something that's up to the playback device, virtualdub does not have anything to do with that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ^ Test whether these "high-pitched"/"too fast" portions play correctly when you connect the player directly to a TV.
    Quote Quote