VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My son wants to make gaming videos on his Xbox One S, and says he needs an elgato (a friend has one).
    my research reveals he needs a computer too!
    Elgato give minimum requirements:

• Windows 10 (64-bit)
    • 4th generation quad‑core Intel Core i5 CPU (i5-4xxx or comparable)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10xx (or better) for Windows
    • 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 3.x port
    • Internet connection

I've found 2 refurbished computers, one has a graphics card, the other does not.

Will the cheaper one work with elgato? Not planning to play games on the PC, just do to the video capture and upload to Youtube.

£184.00: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Black Desktop PC, Intel Quad Core i5-4570 3.20GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD with Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-EliteDesk-Desktop-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B077P6W39M/ref=sr_1_2

£425.00: Gaming HP 800G1 Elite Quad Core i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, WiFi, Windows 10 64Bit Gaming Tower Computer (Renewed)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RN7Y68Q/ref=dra_a_ms_bb_ho_xx_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay...6332f608933_CT

Hoping the cheaper one will do what we need, but don't want to blow £184 on something that won't work!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not build your own and use an SSD,e.g. Samsung 860 EVO,500gb as the main drive and the cheaper HDD for backup.That way you get value and parts warranty without the worry of somebody else's problems.The biggest hurdle is getting started,if I and others can do it,so can you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Would that really work out cheaper?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jonbey View Post
    My son wants to make gaming videos on his Xbox One S, and says he needs an elgato (a friend has one).
    my research reveals he needs a computer too!
    Elgato give minimum requirements:

• Windows 10 (64-bit)
    • 4th generation quad‑core Intel Core i5 CPU (i5-4xxx or comparable)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10xx (or better) for Windows
    • 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 3.x port
    • Internet connection

I've found 2 refurbished computers, one has a graphics card, the other does not.

Will the cheaper one work with elgato? Not planning to play games on the PC, just do to the video capture and upload to Youtube.

£184.00: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Black Desktop PC, Intel Quad Core i5-4570 3.20GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD with Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-EliteDesk-Desktop-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B077P6W39M/ref=sr_1_2

£425.00: Gaming HP 800G1 Elite Quad Core i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, WiFi, Windows 10 64Bit Gaming Tower Computer (Renewed)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RN7Y68Q/ref=dra_a_ms_bb_ho_xx_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay...6332f608933_CT

Hoping the cheaper one will do what we need, but don't want to blow £184 on something that won't work!
    see this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShRy4dzBJSc
    you don't need a desktop, a laptop will do just fine.
    Last edited by october262; 2nd Jan 2020 at 18:48.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can build to whatever budget you have,just visit your local computer stpre and they will provide many options.A home build may be marginally dearer,but will outlast a second hand one by many,many years with the bonus of warranties and self satisfaction.
    My first build was in 2006,with a PSU the only replacement.My second was June 2019.
    Quote Quote  
  6. An idea ...

I had an oldish PC, but it died. I bought a new power supply but that did not work. I still have it all as I was planning on putting the HDD in a new PC at some point ... loads of photos on it etc.

This is what it was, bought in May 2012:

Elite 3450 BTO
    System Base Price: £ 540.83
    CiT Vantage Black Midi Mesh Gaming Case, w/ 4x 12" Fans + Card Reader
    Modular 450W Quiet 80+ Dual Rail High Efficiency Power Supply
    ASUS P8Z77-V LX, USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/s, Quad-GPU CrossFireX™
    Intel® 3rd Gen. Ivy-Bridge Core™ i5-3450 Processor (6M Cache, 3.10 GHz)
    8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4GB) Memory Kit - CRUCIAL Ballistix
    1TB SATA III 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64Mb Cache, 8ms Hard Drive
    22x SATA Dual Layer DVD-Rewritable Super Format ±R/±RW/RAM

The new power supply: Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU (UK) Hybrid Modular Power Supply Unit

I assume the motherboard died as PSU started some things (cant remember exactly now, was in Nov) but mobo was dead.

So maybe I could get a new motherboard with CPU, and maybe the RAM, HDD, DVD, new CPU will all work.
    I also bought a graphics card for that PC ... searching emails ... Sapphire Radeon 7770 GPU - guess that is not good enough now.

Maybe something like this, with 8GB ram, comes to £236
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/intel-i5-9400f-4.1ghz-six-core-coffee-lake-asus-h310m-k-mothe...r4-bundle.html

i'd be scared to fry it though ... my last PC died because of dust during building work, I think. One day smelt burning smell, error message came on about power problems, then tried cleaning and it never worked again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thanks for the video.

I assumed a desktop would be cheaper than a laptop for same spec?
    Maybe something like this would work OK? Refurbished, £329
    https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-elitebook-840-g1-14-intel-core-i5-4300u...gb/version.asp
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jonbey View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thanks for the video.

I assumed a desktop would be cheaper than a laptop for same spec?
    Maybe something like this would work OK? Refurbished, £329
    https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-elitebook-840-g1-14-intel-core-i5-4300u...gb/version.asp
    Based on the technical requirements that you posted it appears that your son wants an Elgato HD60 S+.

The technical requirements say the CPU should be at least a "4th generation quad‑core Intel Core i5 CPU (i5-4xxx or comparable)". The i5-4300u is a dual core CPU with 4 threads, so if Elgato is serious about a requirement for 4 cores, the CPU in that laptop is a little under-powered.

The requirement for an "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10xx (or better) for Windows" GPU is probably related to the Elgato 4K Capture Utility capture software. Other capture software that supports the Elgato HD60 S+ could allow using an AMD GPU or a recent Intel processor's Intel Quick Sync Video for video encoding instead.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks - I assumed every i4 4xxx was OK!

Such a headache, still not sure what I am going to get, or build!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've ordered the
    Dell OptiPlex Gaming Desktop (Intel Core i5-4570, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB Graphics, Windows 10, WiFi) (Renewed)

Same price as the Dell OptiPlex Gaming Desktop (Intel Core i5-4570, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB Graphics, Windows 10, WiFi) (Renewed), but with better GPU, double ram.

Fingers crossed it works. Seems to fit the bill.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Hauppage Colossus 2 and it hardly takes up any resources on my 1700x. Sometimes takes up to half of my GPU (Rtx 2070) usage though with the default Hauppauge capture software. I know it's not an El Gato but I think you'll be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jonbey View Post
    Thanks - I assumed every i4 4xxx was OK!

Such a headache, still not sure what I am going to get, or build!
    A laptop i7 is more like a desktop i5, or even an i3. Never use a laptop for video. They're underpowered and will overheat with full CPU usage. And they cost more than a truly equivalent desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  13. One thing you need to know: the Elgato (the hardware recorder) uses the computer only to encode (if the recorder itself doesn't) and store the captured information.

And the minimum requirements they gave are rather vague and likely overkill.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A laptop i7 is more like a desktop i5, or even an i3. Never use a laptop for video. They're underpowered and will overheat with full CPU usage.
    Not necessarily true. Let alone the fact that an I7 does not necessarily have higher performance than an I3...
    Last edited by gdgsdg123; 11th Jan 2020 at 16:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run the Elgato HD60Pro pci in my desktop build. Works like a champ.

Elgato HD60 pro
    Samsung 870 M2 500GB OS drive
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
    Gigabyte Aorus B450 motherboard
    GTX 1660Ti
    32GB DDR4 3200 RAM
    Quote Quote