VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
    Oh, almost forgot. I don't go out much and if someone breaks in, I want to introduce him to my two brothers Smith and Wesson. They are always with me as we are a close family. Thats what nice about living in Nevada a gun friendly carrying state.
    LOL

i prefer browning, remington, glock and springfield amory all my homeboy besties. NH here.

babygdav - is a newb poster here and i'd beware...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Ok get the M.2. Pardon me for not knowing but what programs go on this SSD besides the operating system.

Any computer needs a storage device to boot from because the operating system is typically stored on it (eg. mac os, windows 10).
    Applications are usually installed on the boot drive as well - office, dvdfab, vlc, etc.

Now, for what you are doing, you DON'T need a separate BOOT drive (m.2 or ssd) AND a DATA drive (the 8TB HD).

Windows 10 + DVDFAB + Plex etc won't take more than 50GB installed.
    This means you could install a 8TB HD as the boot and data drive alone - Windows, dvdfab, and ripped movies all go on it.
    If you enable RAID on the motherboard to MIRROR the 8TB drive with a 2nd 8TB drive, then the system will automatically make backups (the boot drive is copied to a 2nd drive, and if the boot drive fails, the 2nd drive can be used to boot your computer and has all of your movies.)

Then, to be safe, you can buy 1 8TB external USB drive to copy all of the movies to as another backup.
    (Or automate it using Windows Backup to automatically backup the contents - OS and movies - of the 8TB internal RAID drives to the external 8TB drive.)

There are those who say it is better to use separate data-only drives so that only the data/movies are copied for backup, not the personal information tied to your dvdfab / windows registration when you copy a boot drive that holds data.
    For a business, makes sense because you may have thousands of PCs and you don't need to copy the OS, Office, etc. - only the data for backup.
    For personal home movie watching, it doesn't matter - I've done it both ways and they work fine. You'll only sacrifice about 50GB on each drive because you are copy the OS, DVDFab, etc, too. (Up to you if 50GB is important - can store at least 10 4.7GB DVD RIPs.)

A SSD/M.2 boot drive is faster booting than a HD boot drive, runs cooler with less power draw, and faster launching apps and booting the PC.

2. Graphics card. I thought the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 had graphics integrated (too much reading and not reading enough). Would a graphics card be of any benefit if I am only watching movies from the HDD? If not then I assume that the cheaper way would be upgrade the processor.

Only the AMD CPUs that have a G in the model number have integrated graphics so you can hook up a monitor and see things on the screen.
    Without built-in graphics or a graphics card, you will see nothing 0 when you plug in a monitor into the HDMI/VGA output on your motherboard.

A FAST Nvidia graphics card is useful for faster video encoding and Plex transcoded video serving (sending movies in a different video format to devices like your phone that can't handle the original format. Not needed if you have PC plugged into TV and simply watching movies on TV). A FAST video card also takes up much more power, requiring a higher wattage power supply, additional cabling and cooling, etc.

A decent Nvidia graphics card ought to be sufficient for DVD encoding, and use less power without needing additional cabling,etc.
    eg. https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-mini

AMD Graphics is also sufficient for DVDs, but not BluRay discs (https://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-copy.htm?trackID=homebanner22 - needs Nvidia card for Bluray officially).

3. I have no movies on the MAC. I have to transfer all the DVDs to the new pc HDD. That was why I was asking if I had multiple optical drives , whether internal or external, DVDFAB would recognize all the drives and make copying faster. I would then give these away to someone that needs them.

https://www.dvdfab.cn/manual/settings/General
    In the manual, it says there is an option to run multiple instances of DVDFAB, so you should be able to rip multiple discs simultaneously.
    Naturally, you can contact them directly to confirm.
    (In the past with AnyDVD, I was able to rip from three DVD drives at the same time.)

My intention is to copy everything to a 8 TB HDD and make an additional copy. That was why it was talked about having an external 5.25 swappable drive. I could then copy everything that was on the internal HDD to the HDD in the swappable bay. I could then remove it for safe storage. I am on the right track.

Ok. One way is to have 2 3.5" to 5.25" trays, ejectable, holding 2 8TB drives. On the motherboard, you set these two drives to RAID MIRROR mode and they'll automatically copy each other. Rip a movie to the RAID array, and both drives get a copy. Then, eject 1 drive at any time (preferably when the PC is powered off) for safe storage. (If needed, you can buy a $10 SATA to USB adapter for the Mac, plug that ejected drive in, and quickly check a few files to make sure the drive has the movies files in good condition.)

Another way is to not use RAID on those two internal, ejectable drives. You would manually copy everything from one drive to another, then eject one to put in storage. (There's software that can help copy drives and verify contents are identical.) Manual copying can also be done with 1 internal and 1 external, 2 external drives, etc. - any combination. RAID only works with internal drives attached by sata cables to the motherboard (in general).

4. I am getting ahead of myself here, but question: If I rip additional movies to the internal HDD and I put the spare drive back in the swappable bay, does the pc just copy the new information or does it have to do an entire new scan.

If the 2 drives are setup using RAID MIRRORING, that depends on the implementation used by the motherboard.
    It ought to be intelligent enough to check for differences then copy only changes, but it might not and copy the entire drive.

It's only a matter of time - so you're usually just inserting a backup drive, walking away for the day while it copies, then ejecting it later.
    If you need to be faster at that (only changes) and the motherboard RAID doesn't to it intelligently, there's software to mirror drives intelligently.
    Or, simply select all movie files from the main drive, copy to the backup drive, and when it asks Do you Want to copy these files already on the destination, no. - Windows will then copy only the new movies files over.

5. Ripping using multiple drives

You can go crazy with this one for speed.
    People have built PCs with 5-10+ dvd drives all in use at once to rip. One drive per 5.25" slot in the pc tower.... Or external drives.
    Your limit will be the write rate of the hard drive you're ripping to.

(Roughly, 9GB in 15 minutes, 10 MB/second per disc. But it's a variable read rate, so double that to 20MB/sec.

Ripping 5 DVDs at the same time, 20x5 = 100MB/sec write rate.
    A fast 8TB hard drive can handle that near its maximum; ant SSD can handle many more.

No idea which Oppo you have, but one owner did it this way
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180228/its-time-ripping-all-dvds-and-blu-rays-to-nas
    Last edited by babygdav; 10th Jan 2020 at 00:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the link of the OPPO it was an interesting read. Beautiful player but way out of my price range. I have the OPPO BDP-103D.

Looking at DVDAB site for compatibility of graphic cards. Did not know that I needed one. Thought that the Ryzan integrated graphics would be enough. But it seems DVDFAB wants min 4gb. This build is starting to get up there and with no drives yet. Been surfing and looking at PCs for sale. Seems a lot of gaming PCs for sale have almost all the components I am looking at but with higher power supply's.

What are the thoughts on this. I do not know how much noise these generate or power consumption (assuming more but how much more). Seems i have a ways to go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. "Windows 10/8.1/8/7 (32/64 bit)
    Core 2 Quad and above
    2GB of RAM
    100GB of free hard disk space
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 and above
    A Blu-ray Drive"

On dvdfab.cn official site for the bluray ripping (dvd doesn't even need a gaming graphics card, just integrated), that's all they need.
    No, you don't need $$$$ equipment for this unless you are transcoding the original dvd/bluray into a different format.

E.g. If you rip dvd straight into iso / mkv / mpeg-2 files with no transcoding, it's a fast ~10 minutes per disc. It's mostly a straight days copy from disc to drive - cpu and gpu not even taxed.

If you're transcoding into mp4, etc (non-native format), your cpu/gpu will be used to calculate the changes for the encoding (so here, faster cpu/gpu needed).

Bluray ripping doesn't need hardly any cpu/gpu ; transcoding to mp4 etc does.

Eg manually here, I can rip blurays and dvds on a 2012 i7-3xxx generation laptop using Intel Graphics and 8gb ram perfectly fine all day long to mkv/iso using makemkv (free disc decrypt and rip. No transcoding).

Any store bought pc with integrated graphics will do fine for straight mkv/iso ripping of dvd and bluray, any game pc with a nvidia card sufficient for bluray transcoding.

Game pc will have more fans, more heat generation (when working hard), more airflow - most will be noisier when taxed to the max.

Your use case? Unlikely to push the machines hard, so they'll be fine as well (again, more fans, more air noise).

A store like microcenter.com if near you or a store with gaming PCs that let you stick your ear up next to a machine when running still let you know how noisy they are. Most that aren't running the fastest (2060 - 2080 cards) are cool enough not to matter.

Anyways, unless you're transcoding, won't never use the nvidia gpu - only to drive the monitor, so a waste of powerful gpus.

If transcoding, 2060 to 2080 will be amazing on multiple bluray transcodes, but for dvd, even a cooler integrated graphics or nvidia 1050ti card will do fine.

Oppo
    http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-103_Media_Files_FAQ

Nice! Plug in a hard drive and the Oppo can play ripped dvds stored in mkv/vob/etc formats! So after you rip the movies to the hard drive, even without setting up the pc as a media server, plug drive into oppo and control /view using that.

(Ie. You could just be cheap - external dvd drive and hard drive for mac, rip on that, plug drive into oppo and play).

If you get bored of the idea of swapping hundreds of dvds into the dvd drive to rip.... Automatic dvd changers!

https://www.amazon.com/d/Computer-Optical-Drives/Acronova-Nimbie-USB-AutoLoader-NB21-DVD/B00HQOOQCG
    Last edited by babygdav; 11th Jan 2020 at 00:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. you are 75 years old. why bother? i did it when my kids were youngins so they couldn't ruin cds, dvds, and blu-ray discs but now... seems an unnecessary expenditure of time and money. i do still have 3 nas fileservers with over 1000 movies and 20,000 songs but i don't add much to them these days.

[Attachment 51414 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why do it?

Lol. Why do people climb mt Everest? Even at 80 years?

As for dvd rips, they used to have services where you could mail in your library and they'd rip to drives for you, but ugly copyright laws in the USA shut that down.

Nowadays, it's mostly sneaker nets - friends borrowing full drives to copy and share.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'm 82 and I'm still adding stuff to my NAS and fixing other peoples systems decades younger than me.. The message about a higher end video card ONLY relates to using their AI app to increase the size of a DVD to UHD dimensions. My GeForce 9500 GT on this computer is not up to the task but my new PC I'm building will have a much better beast. Not that I want to upscale very old DVD material to faux UHD.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Lol. UHD/4K.
    So obsolete now that 8K is out for the Olympics in Japan, nation wide 8k broadcasts have started there, too, and slow America will have to tell everyone sorry... You thought 4K was the end of it, nope.
    https://8kassociation.com/8k-association-certified-program-now-available-for-high-perf...rmance-8k-tvs/
    Quote Quote  
  9. aedipuss

All my DVDs are in envelopes, titled and alphabetized in Snap-N-Store DVD boxes https://www.zoro.com/b/SNAP-N-STORE/. With all those movies, I forget what the movie is about. So having a movie manager with a nice GUI showing the artwork and all the info would be nice and I think look really cool on my 110" screen.

babygdav and netmas56

So, it sounds like I will be ok with the integrated graphic to use with DVDFAB. As I mentioned in my original post all the DVDs are formatted as VIDEO_TS files, so when I now copy everything to HDDs I may want to format them to MKVs just in case down the line I want to use PLEX. Is the integrated graphics ok with doing this.

Looking at that OPPO video, I don't think it populates with art work.

Now after all these posts and everyone taking their personal time to reply with a lot of information and me researching for hours on what is being offered, where are we. New build vs buying used PC cheap and refurbish with what I need or buy, for example, from a box store.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. no need to learn how to build a computer and install an os on it though. buy a decent dell or something from best buy. you don't save anything building your own once you have to buy windows.

i'd try using makemkv and add them all to a folder on what ever type off storage you want. then use a movie manager on the folder.

it is a time intensive hobby....
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. 1. If you need 2 ejectable hard drives and 1 optical drive in a tower....I can't find a tower from hp, Dell, lenovo that has three drive slots. Two, yes. (Probably something out there...)
    You'd have to put your own 2 drives into ejectable trays for easy access.

If you ONLY need two optical drives, then you're ok with adding your two drives internally (Or one internal, one as external usb), then any commercial tower pc is fine.

2. Ripping to video_ts or mkv won't take more than a 5+ year old Intel cpu. I'm ripping dvd/blurays fine to mkv using makemkv, and have tried anydvd and dvdfab for the same to mkv, mp4, iso, and video_ts folders.

Mp4 conversion is accelerated by Intel quicksync, so no issues with the speed of encodings to mp4 - even on a 5+ year old laptop.

3. That double conversion would be nuts.
    Video_ts rip so you can retain the full look and functionality of the dvd, convert to mkv simply for plex??

If you don't care, just rip to mkv. Plex handles that just fine.

Else, only major media server program that loves video_ts and dvd iso images with the cover library feature is Kodi. https://kodi.tv/
    Quote Quote  
  12. babygdav

[I]3. That double conversion would be nuts.
    Video_ts rip so you can retain the full look and functionality of the dvd, convert to mkv simply for plex??/I]

I thought that as all my DVDs are VIDEO_TS files, when I transfer them over, with whatever program I use, I could select MKV as a format. Any future rips would be done in MKV.]

[I]Else, only major media server program that loves video_ts and dvd iso images with the cover library feature is Kodi. https://kodi.tv//I]

I think you forgot about DVDFAB media software.

Going over all of this I am going to get a case with just 2 5.25 external bays; one for the optical and the other I will put in a swappable tray. I'll use the internal bay for the other HDD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what you'll get converting dvds to mkv is the main movie in mpeg-2 with all the audio, subs, and chapters. you don't get the "whole dvd" with menus and extras. that's only available in "dvd" or "blu-ray" format.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mkv - ok. Thank fix the Plex issue with vobs.
    Forgot about the easy DVDfab media server solution!

(Forgot, there's another media server that runs over dlna that handles vob https://serviio.org/features ).

Dlna is a universal media sharing method older than Plex. Many TVs, ps4, xbox, pc, etc all support this.

If you have a dlna nas drive, your PC likely can connect directly to it to play media files off one. (Need something like Serviio, putting each dvd cover image next to the movie file in a folder, etc to display cover art though. But for simply accessing a drive full of media, it needs no pc, no software - just a dlna tv and nas.)

IF you ever wish to rip 4k bluray movies, only certain bluray drives work.
    https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19634

Price isn't much different than the cheapest bluray drives, so a smart choice. If you buy a non 4k visible bluray drive, you'll never be able to extract, even watch such.

(Extracting 4k doesn't require much, but playback will.
    https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19144)

Again, back to the comment on how the pc build price and complexity is getting up there..

Another way - you can use you mac with a $20 external usb dvd drive for ripping, or get a dirt-cheap used $50-100 pc tower with a dvd drive for ripping. The mkv files get put on a synology nas $100s (which takes care of the raid for you and plex serving), which is connected to your tv through wifi using cheap roku/fire/xbox/ps4/etc that can install the plex client.
    No major assembly, just setup plex on the synology, download the plex client on the player, plug the roku etc into the tv, and add the nas over the network on the Mac. A simple 30-60 minute install and rip away as usual on the Mac with dvdfab.

The use of the home wifi from nas to roku has nothing to do with the speed of the external internet connection you have, and more than sufficient to support two dvd streams to two tvs.
    Last edited by babygdav; 12th Jan 2020 at 18:50.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I'm back because I can't believe how some, especially babygav aren't reading and addressing what the desertrider has stated he wants to do and his particular home setup. BTW, desertrider, to be clear, I didn't leave and stay away because of anything you posted, my apologies if you felt slighted in any way. I'll respond to any questions or comments from anyone except babygdav who is on my ignore list.

desertrider please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of your needs are:
    • Want to rip his DVDs, which have already had the encryption removed. I've posted that I've done this for 600+ three DVD drives at once, two external, one internal on my old Quad Core2 PC. The process took ~10 minutes per disc, which for me, meant I was able to swap the disc in drive 1, immediately after I inserted and setup (choosing destination directory, choosing a tile for the .iso and choosing which audio and subtitles I wanted to retain. I've provided proof that rip speed is independent of CPU/hdd speed since the limiting factor is the speed the DVD drive can transfer the data, ~10/min per disc, regardless if the drive(s) is internal or external.

Post #19 Page 1: "So my understanding is to get a pc/laptop with Win10, attached some sort of enclosure with Hdd(s), add program(s) to act as a movie manager, for ripping, and get some optical drives to speed up the transferring process."
    • He wants to connect a PC, which is was planning to buy/build anyway directly via HDMI to his A/V receiver which already feeds the signal to this projector and TV in different rooms. Post #29: "Ok, the a/v rack in the living room has the receiver which has HDMI outputs to living room tv and to the projector in the theater room. The proposed pc setup would go into another room off the kitchen.

All the rooms were wired with multiple cat5 and coax when we built the house. I would use Dual CAT5 Extenders back to the receiver from the pc in this room. The receiver has an HDMI input for pc[."

• His Mac is in another room and he doesn't want to move into the room that his A/V receiver is in. Post #23 on Page 2 of this thread:
      "Using the MAC is not an option as it sits behind the couch, which is in the middle of the living room and is used wirelessly. Anything that I use to store/send my collection (as previously posted) will be in another room and will be hardwired to the receiver."

• He has never expressed a desire to encode his rips into another format.
    • He was advised about Serviio by lordsmurf in Post #12 Page 1: "I'm currently looking at Pi4 as a Serviio DLNA server.
    • He said in post #19: "* Not knowing any better, I used the word "server" instead of explaining that all I want is a program that will organize my collection with cover art.
      * Referred to PLEX because I like the way it displayed the dvd,s with the cover art and descriptions.

• In Post #22 on Page 2 he explained why he has decided to go with the DVDFab server solution: "Been checking with ElanG Home system tech guys and found out that if I want to control a Plex system with my remote, I would have to go thru a Roku box. To do so I have to get the Roku driver but the controller I have is not compatible so I would have to get a new controller ($1000.+). So I am going to take another look at the DVDFAB system which I could control with an IR emitter with my current HR2 remote."
    • He planned to build/buy a PC anyway. Post #4 Page 1: 4. I like the idea of the pc and installing a removable drive cage. I was going to buy a pc prior to this endeavor and had set aside $500. Would it be practical to build a mini pc with a SSD for the OS and install the swappable drive and a DVD burner. This would also be a learning experience. Post #3 Page 2:
      lingyi,

Been busy getting ready to install solar for house. Hard part for me now is probably picking out parts for the pc. PCparts has a lot of info that I am sifting thru. If anyone has suggestions on parts for HTPC they would be appreciated. This will be used to only store movies. Simple HTPC, no streaming or gaming, motherboard with SSD attached, and quiet with 2 external 5.25 bays as suggested by "lingy". Budget $400-500.

• The plan to use a removable hard drive cage was to make it easier to insert a drive for backup
    • He was advised why I and others contend that RAID in any configuration is not a valid backup solution in my Posts #4, #5 on the Page 1 of this thread and Post #19 on Page 2
    • The only time he has asked about a NAS was in response to Poat #2 on Page 1:
      Post #2: You can save a lot of time by simply using MakeMKV bypassing DVDFab altogether. I have transferred all of my DVD's and BD's discs this way to my NAS.
      Post #3: Netmask56,

Thanks for the reply. Approx. how long to transfer a file to hdd using MakeMKV. Also did you build the NAS or buy. What are you using as a movie manager?
      Post #7: Netmask56: Popcorn A-500 media player has it's own built in media manager ~
    • It appears he plays his Blu-Rays on his Oppo. Post #19: * There are no bluray dvds in my collection. I play them in my Oppo.
    • Was informed that remuxing to .mkv will cause him to lose his menus. Post #4 Page 1: "A major plus to using an external drive box to play your videos from is that instead of remuxing to .mkv or any other container, which will cause you to lose the menus and file structure of you DVDs, you can save to .iso and retain/play the image exactly as if it were a DVD with almost any media player. If you save your Blu_Rays or UHDs to .iso, you'll need a (usually paid) media player as the Blu-Ray and UHD media playback requirements are stricter than DVDs."
    Last edited by lingyi; 13th Jan 2020 at 00:20. Reason: Remove dupe info
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TL;DR summary of my post above. IMHO, it's common courtesy and good netiquette to read ALL the posts in a short thread like this to get a full understanding of the OP's questions and wants/needs. It's a pet peeve and shortcoming of mine that I get irritated and frustrated when posters fail to do so and post what they believe is best, but may result in unnecessary cost, complexity or data loss. I didn't do well in sales because I'm more focused on the customers wants/needs rather than pushing my own agenda for commissions. 99% of what I've posted in this thread is based on actual experience and the remaining 1% is based on extensive study of the pros and cons of what I haven't had real life experience with (e.g. RAID and NAS).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes, his mac is in another room, not moved, so can't be used to store/send to the tv.
    That never discounted using it to rip movies to an external drive (not to play to tv or store movies).

Roku - there's 2 types of models and remotes.
    1 is the simple IR remote that can be controlled using any programmable ir remote controller. The other is a non-ir voice remote that can't (and probably what the vendor was focused on).

A roku with the simple remote ought to be able to be controlled line any tv with ir. If not, there's the simple (maybe not ideal) matter off having the roku remote in the same room as the tv it's connected to. (Or roku app on the phone).

RAID, nas, ejectable, cloud, network, etc drives.... It's all DATA on Something. If you want more than one copy, multiple drives or storage mediums. None of this is CRITICAL life altering data (ie. A thief walks off with it all....damn, but whatever. Life goes on.), so no need for a serious data center storage system and backup, imo.
    (Else, you'd be into ecc ram, verify after writes, etc etc at a far higher cost.)

Movies files sitting on 2-3 hard drives is sufficient.

Not asking about a nas doesn't mean can't consider one.
    The temporary matter of ripping can be taken care of by any computer with a dvd drive and the nas/external drive (mac, laptop, whatever).
    The idea here is rather than build a pc to serve files, simply buy a nas - hard drives usually with a cpu (think dedicated pc) designed to serve files. This reduces the media server setup from a lengthy build pc from parts, install os, plex, copy files to the drive, network to TVs, to simply buy nas, install plex (if not already installed), copy files in, network in far shorter time.

Then, the nas takes care of a lot of things automatically - file backup, drive mirroring, integraty checking, file serving, etc. Much of the setup you'd do on a pc becomes simply on/off settings on the nas to enable.

He plays blurays in the oppo today, but nobody knows the future - thus the suggestions for futureproofing with 4k uhd ready drive and specs today.

Anyways, it's all good suggestions - more than one way to skin the cat. Can all be done from a cheap $100 pc to a nas and external dvd drive for the Mac to a full pc build with multiple drives. They will all result in the same result - something filled with his dvd movies ready to serve to the tvs through his home theater system. People here and in AVS Forums have done this all sorts of ways and they all work fine.
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/#/forums/39?page=2
    Quote Quote  
  18. [I]lingyi/I] How was your vacation (LOL)?

babygdav

[B]Roku - there's 2 types of models and remotes.
    1 is the simple IR remote that can be controlled using any programmable ir remote controller. The other is a non-ir voice remote that can't (and probably what the vendor was focused on).

A roku with the simple remote ought to be able to be controlled line any tv with ir. If not, there's the simple (maybe not ideal) matter off having the roku remote in the same room as the tv it's connected to. (Or roku app on the phone)./B]

As lingyi pointed out, this is an expensive way to go and since I have 2 rooms to watch movies the second option would mean having an additional Roku. I want to use only one remote, the Elan (HR2).

aedipuss

My DVDs were ripped capturing the main movie only.

A build seems like a good choice as I have need for a Windows PC. I am going with a case that has (2) 5.25 external bays. One for the optical drive and the other a swappable drive. I will add an additional internal drive and an M.2 SSD.

I think that is was mention that I can get away with a CPU w/integrated graphics as DVDFAB does not require one. I will have to double check just in case I want to rip Bu ray DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My vacation and return is refreshing since I now use pest repellent!

There's no need for GPU power to rip Blu-Rays. For some reason some posters think/insist that you want to reencode your DVDs and Blu-Rays, reducing quality and taking time. Playing and ripping UHD 4K discs however requires very specific hardware and software. IMHO, UHD is best handled by a standalone player, unless you're looking to collect a large amount of discs.

Once you've completed/bought your PC, assuming it's Windows, I can give you suggestions software to facilitate copying and verifying the copies of your rips. Unfortunately or not I know nothing about Macs. Once step at time.

I think I may have mentioned this, but for re-ripping your DVDs, give DVDShrink a try. It's old, but still works on Win10 and fast. Oh, and anything I have to suggest is usually free.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't mind and if you're still on track to play everything locally through your PC, could you restate [that] despite this thread's subject, you have no interest or need [for] streaming. As I said above, some posters don't seem to be reading past your first post.
    Last edited by lingyi; 14th Jan 2020 at 01:20.
    Quote Quote  
  21. No streaming. My internet has 5mbps upload on a good day so no viewing outside of house.
    Quote Quote  
  22. To speed things up because internal dvd drives are only $10-20, two dvd drives ripping to 1 internal drive until the 900 disc collection is done. Then, swap one for the ejectable second drive. (Or use a 2nd more costly external usb dvd drive.)

E.g. 10 minutes per rip. 6 discs per hour. 900 discs in 150 hours with 1 drive, or 19~ 8 hour days of ripping. 2nd drops it to 10~ 8 hour days, or 19~ 4 hour days.

Otherwise, lazy 1 hour of ripping on one drive per day for 5 months while reading a book or paper.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    [*]Want to rip his DVDs, which have already had the encryption removed. I've posted that I've done this for 600+ three DVD drives at once, two external, one internal on my old Quad Core2 PC. The process took ~10 minutes per disc, which for me, meant I was able to swap the disc in drive 1, immediately after I inserted and setup (choosing destination directory, choosing a tile for the .iso and choosing which audio and subtitles I wanted to retain. I've provided proof that rip speed is independent of CPU/hdd speed since the limiting factor is the speed the DVD drive can transfer the data, ~10/min per disc, regardless if the drive(s) is internal or external.
    Oops...had to look. Seems someone has me on HIS ignore list, doesn't read anything but his own posts or just likes to hear himself post!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey I like repeating myself (though not what others have posted) too!

Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    [*]Yes, you can use multiple optical drives to rip and remux your discs to .mkv. When I had to re-rip my then 600+ disc collection to .iso because of a major brainfart (I formatted both my primary drive and backup), I set up three DVD drives. One internal and two external. Three drives was optimal because it took ~10min to rip each disc* and by the time I inserted and set up what audio and subs I wanted on drive 3, drive 1 had completed the rip. Rinse and repeat 600+ times = ~6000min/60 = 100 hours over a couple of months to complete.
    2nd Jan 2020 04:05 Post #4

*Sprays repellent" Okay, I'll try to be good from now on. I promise, I'm not always like this!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thought of this on my way home (do my best thinking while driving) and don't know if you're still considering the DVDFab Server, which is a standalone media plsyer, but just checked the specs and it's an Android Box running a customized 5.1 version. A huge red flag! Not only does the Android OS have limitations that I think I mentioned above (too lazy to go through my own walls of text at the moment <grin>), but 5.1 is five years old! The current version of Android is 10. 5.1 would be fine for a <$50 box, but no matter how customized the DVDFab version is, it's still years behind and potentially buggy. Please stick to your PC and find some other media organizer.
    Quote Quote  
  26. https://www.avforums.com/reviews/dvdfab-movie-server-review.14692

https://www.mytechlogy.com/IT-reviews/20072/review-the-dvdfab-movie-server-from-fengta.../#.Xh6tP_GIayV

Price aside, any media player whether old or new, will work fine for the use and media it's designed for.

Sure, I can buy a 2020 dvd player or a 2010 dvd player, and the former might have more "features" like network streaming, but the basics remains identical - dvd playback. I don't miss anything using the older dvd player, same with dvdfab on only dvd rips.

The dvdfab box was tested not to have support for certain file types - none of them in the 900 dvd collection. So for 2017 design, it works fine on the media it supports. Only option for an integrated dvdfab software+ hardware system with super easy setup.

New 4k/8k android boxes certainly do and support more, but none required for dvdv rip playback, have a fully integrated design with dvdfab software, latest android apps and games, but for dvd rips, they do nothing different or better.
    Quote Quote  
  27. The link (if works) shows the list of what I have decided to get. Can you look at this and make sure they are all compatible? I did my best to match them by going on different sites you guys had suggested along with looking at Youtube for builds using the case I selected. The parts list show the SeaSonic power supply with no price but I found one on EBAY for $30. and it is a plus Gold certified.

[COLOR="red"]https://pcpartpicker.com/list//COLOR]

For transferring my DVD collection over, I would use the internal optical drive (LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer) along with 2 additional cheap external DVD drives to make the transfer a little quicker as you guys have suggested.

Don't know much about the DVDFAB manager or how reliable it is but I know I can control it with my HR2 remote. Just trying to keep it simple instead of having another remote.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can control DVDFab Server though your remote, you should be able to do the same with any any Android Box with a newer version of the Android OS. You might also look at the Nvidia Shield for same but, but many more users and strong reviews. There's a lot of discussion about it here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395586-Streaming-media-solution-but-no-streaming-(...ardwired-only). The major potential issue that hasn't been fully confirmed or denied by anyone is if it can properly manage more than one hard drive a time.

Curious though, so you're planning not to use your PC for streaming? Going with the DVDFab Server instead?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I needed a Win PC to run some programs not compatible with mac, and no streaming, hence to build one. Just want to save the DVDs and watch them thru DVDFAB. I believe this setup goes from PC to DVDFAB Server to receiver and then out to sources.

AS all my DVDs are ripped to VIDEO-TS folders do these other programs support them.
    Quote Quote  
  30. FYI. Link to pc parts list doesn't work.
    Post screen shots.

In any case, the prior list I went over is perfectly fine (gotta add a CPU with GPU or GPU card).
    Power supply should be fine - almost anything 300W or better will run the system.
    Optical drive is fine.

Should be an easy 1 hour build if you have experience, otherwise, a lazy half-day reading manuals and double-checking everything.
    Quote Quote