VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    What do you think about the following parts for a new budget AMD Ryzen build?

1) AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or 2600 (price difference is not great, but I want Windows 7 compatibility so no integrated graphics or newer Ryzen)

2) ASUS PRIME X370-PRO or ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (price difference is not great, but B450 is newer and has HDMI 2.0b even if I will not use it for now)

3) KINGSTON KVR24N17S8/8 8GB DDR4 2400MHZ (least expensive RAM I can find, unfortunately without a heatsink, pair of two for 16GB in dual channel)

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Those cpu's/mb aren't compatible with windows 7 so you need to get a windows 7 iso that's been modified to work with them,there's a long thread here about the iso.
    For choices i would get the ryzen 2600 and asus b450.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I believe not compatible with Windows 7 are 2200G, 3200G, 3400G and every other 3xxx Ryzen. Any thoughts about the RAM?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the 2600 is not compatible with win7.
    • 6 Cores/12 Threads Unlocked
    • Frequency: 3.9 GHz Max Boost; Includes Wraith Stealth Cooler
    • 19MB of Combined Cache. Maximum temperature: 95 degree C; CMOS: 12nm FinFET
    • Compatibility : Windows 10; 64 Bit Edition , RHEL x86 64 Bit , Ubuntu x86 64 Bit
    • Supported technologies are amd storemi technology, amd sensemi technology, amd ryzen master utility and amd ryzen vr ready premium
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My 1700x wasn't compatible with windows 7 so i would guess every ryzen was made that way.As to the ram i have always gone with corsair,never gone faulty.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since Win 7 + Ryzen seems to not be a marriage made in heaven:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

It seems the OP will most likely have to switch to Win 10 (or Linux), in which case he may be better off waiting to see what the new Zen 2 based APUs will bring to the table.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I am aware of the issues, but from the many posts I read I think it's feasible to install Windows 7 on systems using the specific Ryzen CPUs. I am not sure though if it is a good idea to upgrade, if I don't plan switching to Windows 10 soon. And weren't Zen 2 based APUs supposed to be available by now?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Zen 2 APUs are scheduled to be officially announced at CES2020, which starts on the 7th.
    Quote Quote