VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17
FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by aertonda View Post
    Is there an alternative to x264_x64.exe that will use GPU instead of CPU?
    You can use any encoder (although the GPU based encoders produce a relatively worse image quality and the gain in speed is minimal). Just select Settings - AVC/HEVC Encoder - Use your own custom command for encoding. Then, in the last tab, type the command line you need to use your encoder.

For example, for nvenc, you can use something like this:

"path\\to\\nvencc64.exe" --codec avc --cqp 26 --profile high --level 4.1 --preset quality --sar ${sar} --chapter chapters_3D_delay.ogm.txt --key-on-chapter --input "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs" --output "video3D_nvenc.avc"

Of course, this is only an exemple. The exact parameters are up to you.

Note that ${sar} is a variable that will be replaced by the correct SAR value by BD3D2MK3D. Note also that the output file name must be copied (without the quotes) in the Filename field. And take care: the / must be replaced with \\ in the path names. See the help for more info.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks. Yes it's about 1.64 times faster, but the output is bigger. Maybe we can adjust some params.
    Last edited by aertonda; 29th Feb 2024 at 11:00.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A higher cqp value will give a smaller file, but a less good quality.

All parameters are here, but it is not easy to understand their exact usage. There are also many sites explaining the "best options" to use, but take care. Many sites are totally wrong. For example, the suggestion to use --cbr instead of --cqp is crazy, as CBR (for Constant Bit Rate) is certainly the worst mode. It creates a big file for a very bad quality. It should be used only in very specific cases, such as encoding for some VR lenses. In the other hand, --vbr (for Variable Bit Rate) is better, but to obtain a really good quality through the whole movie, it is necessary to use the 2-pass mode, and that require to encode the same file two times. In that case, x264 (CPU based) in one pass CRF is faster ! IMO, cqp is the best mode. It is equivalent to the CRF mode of x264 or x265, the default in BD3D2MK3D.

You can also encode in HEVC (h265) format. The quality is better than with AVC (h264), and the file size smaller, but the encoding time is much longer, and many hardware players do not support the HEVC format yet (or not correctly). The HEVC parameters are also more difficult to master.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 29th Feb 2024 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks! Makes sense. My initial reason to convert was because I couldn't figure out how to play bd3d files on my 3d tv. Apparently the Stereoscopic player can convert on the fly. It's a good alternative for this use-case.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to use nvenc then I started using x265, but now I stick with x264. On a decent machine, x264 is almost as fast as nvenc but with reliable quality. x265 takes around twice as long and has issues with low light and low bitrate scenes.

Originally Posted by aertonda View Post
    Thanks! Makes sense. My initial reason to convert was because I couldn't figure out how to play bd3d files on my 3d tv. Apparently the Stereoscopic player can convert on the fly. It's a good alternative for this use-case.
    Try mpc-be which is also able to convert on the fly. I remember helping the devs find a bug caused by a regression in the 3D rendering code. The only reason I no longer use it is because I can get almost identical picture quality for around half the file size or even less. But it's probably the best free 3D player.
    Last edited by cdx47; 9th Mar 2024 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi r0lZ,

As you know I often make use of your subtitling positions cloning tool. I wonder if you see a possibility to implement altering timecodes. I'm doing a lot of image-based positioning editing in Subtitle Edit's SUP editor (not to mistake for the standard text GUI). This tool offers to import video where image-based subtitles are displayed at the correct, authored positions. Often I find that adjusting timestamps is necessary, which I then do in this tool. I can export the result to both SUP and XML/PNG.
    Here's the thing. I'd like to see this result as my own "guidefile" (with the corrected timestamps and positions) and import it in your tool. Already possible of course, but I'd love to be able to replace the timestamps of the "Input subtitle stream (XML/PNG)" with those in "my guidefile (also XML/PNG)".

Any chance?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Ennio.
    I'm not sure I understand the interest. If you have an XML/PNG stream with the correct time codes, why do you need to use the original stream? You can easily apply the depth values of the original OFS file to the new subtitle stream.

The only problem you may encounter if you have changed some timestamps dramatically is that there will be no depth values corresponding to somewhat large regions of some subtitles. But you know already that, and I suppose that your timestamps edits are not so radical.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the interest. If you have an XML/PNG stream with the correct time codes, why do you need to use the original stream?
    Damn, I realise I'm going in a circle here. I was looking for a way to correct timecodes of a source-text, by replacing them with those in corrected imaged-based. But I totally overlooked that SE's "Import timecodes"-feature also accepts XML. I can already directly point to my edit. Doh...
    Please forgive the (hopefully temporary) malfunction of my brain, launching me into chasing my own tail once again.

Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    The only problem you may encounter if you have changed some timestamps dramatically is that there will be no depth values corresponding to somewhat large regions of some subtitles. But you know already that, and I suppose that your timestamps edits are not so radical.
    Here it concerned non-3D material. And indeed, the timing differences aren't that big generally, but a few times a couple of seconds had to be done. Both in start- and end times.

Anyways, back on track again
    Quote Quote