VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is the official BD3D2MK3D support thread at VideoHelp.

BD3D2MK3D is a tool to convert a 3D blu-ray (or a 3D AVC+MVC MKV created with MakeMKV) to Half or Full side-by-side (SBS), top-and-bottom (TAB) or frame-sequential (FS) 3D MKV.

BD3D2MK3D home (hosted at VideoHelp, thanks Baldrik !)

The current version of BD3D2MK3D is v1.19.
    The latest version of BD3D2MK3D cal always be downloaded here: BD3D2MK3D.7z
    The full modification history can be viewed or downloaded here: Version history

Please post all feature requests, bug reports or general comments about BD3D2MK3D in this thread, or at the BD3D2MK3D thread at Doom9. I will try to reply as soon as possible.

An old thread about BD3D2MK3D up to v1.17 can still be viewed here at Doom9. It contains a lot of useful information but is now closed. A search for BD3D2MK3D here or at Doom9 can also be useful.

Happy 3D viewing !
    Last edited by r0lZ; 1st Jan 2020 at 06:31.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  2. BD3D2MK3D v1.18 implemented several fixes and little improvements:
    v1.18 (December 24, 2019)
    - Added Subtitle Tools -> Crop Transparent XML/PNG Background to remove the useless invisible parts of a XML/PNG subtitle stream. This may be necessary fo convert full-width subtitles to 3D.
    - The --alpha-crop 0 argument has been added to all BDSup2Sub command lines so that it will not crop the transparent background of the XML/PNG streams any more, except when necessary.
    - The Verify 3D-planes Compatibility subtitle tool has been improved to include a global score indicating roughly the compatibility of each 3D-Plane with the analysed subtitle stream.
    - The presence of all required files in the toolset folder is now verified at startup, as some antivirus software may quarantine some exe files due to false positive.
    - Fix: eac3to crash when an AC3+ audio stream is converted to stereo.
    - Workaround for a possible bug when checking for M$ .NET v4 on some systems.
    - Little bug fixed: The _POSTPROCESS_2D.cmd file was not executed after a 2D encoding due to a typo in the filename.
    - Updated x264 to the latest version (v0.159.2991)
    - Updated mkvtoolnix to the latest version (v41.0.0 "Samarra")
    - Updated the Intel library libmfxsw32.dll to version 8.18.6.8
    - DGMVCDecode is now withdrawn and has been removed. It was useless anyway, and baby is happy.
    BD3D2MK3D v1.19 is not an important release. It has only the new links for the official home and support threads in the Help menu:
    v1.19 (January 1, 2020)
    - The home of BD3D2MK3D has changed and is now http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/BD3D2AVS/index.html
    - The support thread at Doom9 is now https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=177317
    - There is a new support thread at VideoHelp here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395498-BD3D2MK3D-Convert-3D-BDs-or-MKV-to-3D-SBS-T...Support-thread
    Happy new year !
    Last edited by r0lZ; 1st Jan 2020 at 07:07.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very nuch for this awesome application. I'm not an encoder expert, so I'm currently trying to understand how it works.
    There is one parameter that is not clear for me, at least which value I have to setup: the CRF.

What I would like to understand if is it possible to approximately calculate the size of the final encoded SBS file. For example, I have one BD (40 GB size). I setup CRF=15 and I got a final file of 18 GB. So it's about 55% compression. I would like to compresso it at least 40/45%.
    Obviously I can reduce the CRF value, but is there a way to calculate the right value before encoding?

Thank you
    Lucas
    Quote Quote  
  4. No. By definition, the CRF mode compresses differently according to the content of the movie and the quality of the images. For example, a clean computer graphics movie (like a Pixar film) will be compressed very much (because the frames of a same shot are very similar to each other), but an old film with much noise will be less compressed (because the noise makes it difficult to locate similar parts in the images). It's the interest of the CRF mode: it produces always s similar quality for the same CRF value, regardless of the difficulty to compress the movie. But that means that the final file size is difficult to predict. I have read somewhere that lowering the CRF value by 3 has the effect of multiplying the file size of the video stream approximately by 2. But you need to encode the movie at least once to apply that formula, and I don't think that it is always correct. Also, a slower preset compresses better that the fast ones, so the CRF value is not the only thing to take into account. (The CQ mode is similar to CRF, but without the ability, that CRF has, to compress more when the human eye cannot see the details, such as in a fast moving action scene. It is therefore not recommended to use CQ.)

In the other hand, the ABR and 2-pass modes can be used to obtain a precise file size, but the quality will greatly differ for different films, even if they have the same length. It's why you should NEVER trust the numerous advices found on the internet claiming that a specific bitrate is necessary to encode a movie correctly. That doesn't take into account the fact that a movie is not another one. Only the CRF and CQ modes are smart enough to offer a constant quality, BECAUSE they DO NOT use the same bitrate for all movies. Note also that ABR is forced to obey the bitrate specified on the command line, but it doesn't know in advance what parts of the movie will be difficult or easy to compress, and it will therefore encode everything the same way. That means that some easy parts will have an unnecessary high bitrate, and the difficult parts will exhibit artefacts because the bitrate is not sufficient for the difficulty. 2-pass is supposed to solve that problem, as the first pass is used mainly to analyse the difficulty of the encoding, and the second pass encodes according to the stats produced during the first pass. Although much better, the result is not perfect, as the first pass is a relatively fast analysis, that doesn't take everything into account. Constraining the bitrate is always a disadvantage, even if it is possible to minimize it. Therefore, the 2-pass mode is always slightly less good than CRF for the same global bitrate, and ABR is certainly the less good option. Of course, another drawback of 2-pass is that the encoding takes much longer.

Also, I really think that the bitrate of most commercial BDs is selected specifically so that the movie doesn't fit on a single-layer BD. It's probably some kind of protection and certainly a selling point. x264 and x265 are very good encoders, able to offer almost the same quality than a commercial BD for a much smaller file size.

So, my conclusion is that you should always use the CRF mode, unless you really need a specific bitrate or final file size, for example to burn the MKV on a DVD with the best quality possible. In that case only, 2-pass with file-size control is recommended. And trust your eyes instead of the misleading advices about the bitrate. It is perfectly possible to encode a clean movie with a very low bitrate. Just find the good CRF value for you, and use it for all movies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for the very good detailed answer. So I'll go to CRF for sure, the space occupied by final SBS mkv is not a problem for me since I'll keep my file in my NAS with enough space. So I'll try with CRF 12 and let's see.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the continued updates to this most excellent app!
    Steve
    Quote Quote