VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not talking about playing it on a TV, though, just looking at the file in VLC or the like results in two vertically-squashed side-by-side videos instead of two full-resolution videos. But it says the resolution is 3840x1080. Makes no sense.

It also looks the same on my TV, although I'm using an NVIDIA Shield as my playback device and not the TV directly. When I put the TV in 3D mode, it looks like it should.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    If I select Full SBS, I get a video file that's 3840x1080, but both sides are still squashed vertically. I'm confused.
    It's not the first time someone is confused by the way his TV shows FSBS. In fact, it's the player that resizes the 3840x1080 to display it full-screen. To examine the real size of the video stream, use MediaInfo, or a software player that can give you the correct information about the streams (like PotPlayer). And to display correctly the 3D content, you have probably to enable it in the menu of your TV (as well as, possibly, the correct aspect ratio).

Note also that there is a problem with the aspect ratio of Full-SBS and Full-TAB. Some TV require the AR of the final view (16:9), and some require the AR of the full image (32:9 for FSBS). Same problem for the SAR (1:1 or 1:2). So, depending of your TV, you may have to change one or the two aspect ratio options in the Settings menu of BD3D2MK3D.

Finally, note that only Half-SBS and Half-TAB are officially supported and well defined by a strict standard (except, of course, the frame-sequential standard of the 3D-BD). Playing with Full-SBS or Full-TAB is always hazardous.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 29th Sep 2022 at 05:07.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    I'm not talking about playing it on a TV, though, just looking at the file in VLC or the like results in two vertically-squashed side-by-side videos instead of two full-resolution videos. But it says the resolution is 3840x1080. Makes no sense.

It also looks the same on my TV, although I'm using an NVIDIA Shield as my playback device and not the TV directly. When I put the TV in 3D mode, it looks like it should.
    This confirms that you should try other aspect ratio settings in the Settings menu. Do a quick test with a short clip. (Some good ISO samples here.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    Originally Posted by koberulz View Post

This confirms that you should try other aspect ratio settings in the Settings menu. Do a quick test with a short clip. (Some good ISO samples here.)
    Huh? It looks correct when I enable SBS 3D mode on my TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    When I put the TV in 3D mode, it looks like it should.
    Oh, I did not pay attention to that sentence. So, what's the point ? A SBS movie MUST be watched in 3D. How a player or TV shows it in 2D is not relevant.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My concern was that it displayed squashed in 2D mode, which implies I'm only getting half the horizontal resolution.

The only other issue is subtitles. Is there no way to convert them to work in full SBS?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    My concern was that it displayed squashed in 2D mode, which implies I'm only getting half the horizontal resolution.
    The aspect ratio is defined for a correct playback in 3D. It is absolutely normal that it is not correct for 2D.

The only other issue is subtitles. Is there no way to convert them to work in full SBS?
    No, unfortunately, the dimension of the subtitles is limited to 1920x1080. Since the 3D subtitles must cover the whole 3840 x 1080 image, it is not possible to resize the subtitles to obtain the correct size.

However, there is a good solution. You can "hardcode" (or burn) the subtitles on the video. (See that option in the last tab.) That way, you are sure that the subtitles will be correctly displayed, by any 3D player (as otherwise, even for HSBS, some players move or resize the subtitles and therefore destroy their correct placement and depth, or, even worse, some TVs cannot display the PGS subtitles at all). The price to pay is that you will not be able to disable the subtitles, or to include several subtitle streams in the same MKV. Usually, that's not a problem for an individual usage.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 29th Sep 2022 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If that's true, how do 4K UHD titles have subs?
    Quote Quote  
  9. The subs for UHD are Full-HD (1920x1080), and resized by the player during the playback. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for 3D subs.
    Quote Quote