VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Thread
  1. What is the problem with MVCPlanes2OFS ?
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi !
    I just would like to thank you about BD3D2MK3D !
    Even if the first try are difficult for a newbie, the result is very good !
    One thing is missing: a base tutorial ... but it's a charm

Thank you and go on !
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your positive review.

I agree that a tutorial would be great, but since English is not my native language, I have never had the courage to write it. Sorry !
    Anyway, I reply to any question here or at the Doom9 forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...Et bien alors, faut commencer en franšais !!!
    Go , go gooo, ...enfin Allons-y, allons-y allons-y
    Quote Quote  
  5. Farpaitement !
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi r0lZ - thanks for your efforts with this software. Love my 3D movies, so it is great to be finally starting to look at converting them to Full SBS.

I use a Quest 2 with SkyBox or PC via Virtual Desktop (and Rift version of SkyBox if necessary) for watching these now (my 3D TV is gone to make way for the new one).

Do you have to finish the encode first, before you can Mux 3D? I assume with just remuxing it should retain the same quality as the demux output files? If encoding is required, is the default setting the best quality for the encode?

Update - was having an issue with DTS and the audio delays freezing, but I updated my AviSynth and it seemed to fix it.
    Last edited by Grocs; 2nd Jun 2022 at 05:20.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Grocs View Post
    Hi r0lZ - thanks for your efforts with this software. Love my 3D movies, so it is great to be finally starting to look at converting them to Full SBS.
    Thanks !

Originally Posted by Grocs View Post
    Do you have to finish the encode first, before you can Mux 3D? I assume with just remuxing it should retain the same quality as the demux output files? If encoding is required, is the default setting the best quality for the encode?
    Well, you have to re-encode anyway to convert from the format of the 3D video on the BD to SBS or TAB. The internal format is AVC+MVC, two completely separated streams, that most software players are unable to show in 3D. Anyway, BD3D2MK3D cannot keep these two original streams in a MKV container. If you want to try that, use MakeMKV (and don't forget to tick the option to keep also the MVC video stream, disabled by default).

BD3D2MK3D decodes the AVC and MVC streams to obtain the two views, combine them as full or half SBBS or TAB (or as the less used frame sequential format), and re-encodes the combined view in AVC (aka h264) or HEVC (aka h265) format, suitable for most 3D players.

Of course, re-encoding means a quality loss. You can modify the quality of the encoding by playing with the encoder options in the last tab. The most important option is the CRF value, set by default to 23 (for h264). That default value has been chosen by the authors of the x264 encoder, and IMO it is a good compromise between quality and file size, but most demanding users prefer to lower it. A small value offers an excellent quality, undistinguishable from the original. A CRF of 0 means lossless encoding, but a huge file size (that may be much larger than the original files on the BD !) A very good starting value is between 18 and 20, but you may try for example 15 if disc size is not a problem for you. I have read somewhere that lowering the CRF value by 3 produces approximately a video stream two times larger, but I'm not sure it's correct. I suggest to do a little test with a small clip to determine the best quality for you.

Avoid the "recommendations" of many web sites, telling for example that 2-pass encoding is better than CRF, or that a certain bitrate is necessary to obtain a good quality. It's totally wrong. CRF is certainly the best encoding method (unless you want to obtain a precise file size, for example to copy the movie on a DVD or BD while retaining the best quality). In CRF mode, the final bitrate depends mainly of the content of the movie, and is therefore difficult to predict or control, but that's useless. For example, a Pixar or other CGI animated movie is much easier to compress without much quality loss than an action movie with much grain and noise in the picture. With CRF, the quality is determined by the CRF value and remains constant, regardless of the difficulty to compress the movie.

Originally Posted by Grocs View Post
    Update - was having an issue with DTS and the audio delays freezing, but I updated my AviSynth and it seemed to fix it.
    Strange. I have never encountered that problem. Thanks for letting me know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks r0lZ for the detailed explanation. I have just tried encoding using 18 CRF and it seems like a pretty good compromise between file size and quality.

Yes, have used MakeMKV (and ensuring I select the 2nd video stream) but so far apart most player apps can't handle the frame packed sequential 3D, hence giving your excellent app a go.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just another question if I may. With the preset option - (medium, fast, slow etc) does that have an impact on the final file size as well?
    Quote Quote  
  10. The preset option determines a lot of other parameters. The presets have been added to x264 and x265 to facilitate the life of casual users, so that they can easily select an encoding that suit their needs, without having to cope with hundreds of more or less obscure parameters. Normally, a slower preset uses more sophisticated encoding techniques, and therefore give better results for a a similar file size, or a smaller file size for a similar result.

But take care. Since the encoding is more complex, the decoding is also slower, and if you select a preset too difficult to decode by your player, you may experiment jerky playback. I use the slow preset, that give good result with my Samsung 3D TV, but I need to avoid slower presets. If you use only software players running on a recent PC, I suppose you can select an even slower preset.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again r0lZ - that makes sense.
    Quote Quote