VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by MajinDustin View Post
    What is the best way to uninstall? Just delete the folder? Also, does it matter what folder I install it to?
    Yes. delete the original files, and replace them with the content of the re-downloaded archive. The installation folder doesn't matter much, as long as its path does not contain foreign characters, and the part is not too long.

As explained in the next post, try to uninstall avisynth and be sure to install avisynth+ WITH VCRedist. The absence of vcredist may be the cause of the problem.

BTW, that makes me think that the problem can also be caused by an auto-loaded anisynth plugin or script. Uninstalling everything or renaming the directory within the Program Files folder may solve the problem. Try it !

I'm interested to know when exactly the encoding crashes. Is it immediately, when the command-prompt window opens, or is it somewhere in the middle of an encoding, or at the end, just before the mux operation ? After the crash, can you see a file with a filename similar to "00000_3D.264" (where 00000 is the number of the MPLS file selected in the blu-ray) ? If it has been created, what is the size of that file ?
    Last edited by r0lZ; 25th Aug 2021 at 09:01.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by MarkS-Indy View Post
    I have been unable to find a version of AviSynth that wants to install in the Program Files directory. Version 2.5.8 wants to install in the Program Files (x86) directory.
    I strongly suggest to install Avisynth+ 64-bit. (You may have to install the version including VCRedist the first time: AviSynthPlus_3.7.0_20210111_vcredist.exe). Also, you may want to uninstall your current version first. If it's your version of avisynth that causes the crash, it is better to avoid it completely. And if you still have the problem with Avisynth+ x64, try uninstalling it and install the 32-bit version only. (BD3D2MK3D uses the 64-bit version when it is present, but can use also the 32-bit version, on a 32-bit system or if the 64-bit version is not installed.)

Note that avisynth is basically only a single DLL, installed in the Windows\System32 or SysWOW64 directory (respectively for the 64 and 32-bit versions of the DLL). The files installed in the Program files directory are not really necessary, and are mainly the documentation, some plugins and/or examples.

Originally Posted by MarkS-Indy View Post
    Addendum:
    I have MKVToolNix installed and use it quite frequently. Is there a tutorial that shows how to create a HSBS if you have extracted the left and right eye video files from the 3D BD (which I have already done)?
    Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately, to encode in HSBS format, you need anysynth and the MVC decoder (FRIMSource). It's what BD3D2MK3D automates. It is not easy to explain what you have to do. Basically, you need to decode the two views with FRIMSource (the MVC decoder), then combine them to form a side-by-side view, and resize that video to full-HD. If you don't know how avisyhnth works, it will be difficult. Otherwise, here is an example:
    Code:
    # AVC/MVC video decoder
    LoadPlugin("D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\plugins64bit\FRIMSource.dll")

# Load the two video streams
    interleaved = FRIMSource("mvc", "00000.track_4113.264", "00000.track_4114.mvc", layout = "alt", num_frames = 177167, cache = 2, platform = "")

# Current base view: left eye.
    # The views are in the common order: AVC stream = left view, MVC stream = right view.
    left  = SelectEven(interleaved)
    right = SelectOdd(interleaved)

# Build the Half Side-by-Side stream
    StackHorizontal(HorizontalReduceBy2(Left), HorizontalReduceBy2(Right))
    AssumeFPS("ntsc_film")
    Then, you can encode that script directly with x264, or with a GUI such as the Simple x264 Launcher. If it works, you can then mux the files with mkvtoolnix.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 25th Aug 2021 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    Originally Posted by MajinDustin View Post
    What is the best way to uninstall? Just delete the folder? Also, does it matter what folder I install it to?
    Yes. delete the original files, and replace them with the content of the re-downloaded archive. The installation folder doesn't matter much, as long as its path does not contain foreign characters, and the part is not too long.

As explained in the next post, try to uninstall avisynth and be sure to install avisynth+ WITH VCRedist. The absence of vcredist may be the cause of the problem.

BTW, that makes me think that the problem can also be caused by an auto-loaded anisynth plugin or script. Uninstalling everything or renaming the directory within the Program Files folder may solve the problem. Try it !

I'm interested to know when exactly the encoding crashes. Is it immediately, when the command-prompt window opens, or is it somewhere in the middle of an encoding, or at the end, just before the mux operation ? After the crash, can you see a file with a filename similar to "00000_3D.264" (where 00000 is the number of the MPLS file selected in the blu-ray) ? If it has been created, what is the size of that file ?
    I uninstalled avisynth, and installed AviSynthPlus_3.7.0_20210111_vcredist.exe and it's still crashing before the mux operation seemingly at random times. I have attached a screenshot of the files, and I wanted to ask, I have been using ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER, that's what I'm supposed to use, correct? Image
    [Attachment 60441 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 60440 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by MajinDustin; 25th Aug 2021 at 17:48. Reason: Added screenshot
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MajinDustin View Post
    I have been using ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER, that's what I'm supposed to use, correct?
    Yes. You may want to try to launch directly __ENCODE_3D.cmd that does basically the same thing, but at normal priority and without the trick to avoid entering sleep mode during the encoding. IMO, you will have exactly the same problem.

I see that the MKV3D_3D.264 file (normally created during the encoding phase) is empty. That means probably that the program crashes immediately. Also, the file name suggests that you are encoding from a MKV created with MakeMKV. Fine, but perhaps MakeMKV is the culprit, for example if something has changed in the way it muxes the 3D MKV file. I will do a test here, but be patient. Currently, I don't have much time for that kind of work...
    Last edited by r0lZ; 26th Aug 2021 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    Yes. You may want to try to launch directly __ENCODE_3D.cmd that does basically the same thing, but at normal priority and without the trick to avoid entering sleep mode during the encoding. IMO, you will have exactly the same problem.

I see that the MKV3D_3D.264 file (normally created during the encoding phase) is empty. That means probably that the program crashes immediately. Also, the file name suggests that you are encoding from a MKV created with MakeMKV. Fine, but perhaps MakeMKV is the culprit, for example if something has changed in the way it muxes the 3D MKV file. I will do a test here, but be patient. Currently, I don't have much time for that kind of work...
    I understand, thanks again for the help! I will try the other method and let you know! Also in this particular instance it did crash immediately, but it does seem to be random times while encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MajinDustin View Post
    Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post

I understand, thanks again for the help! I will try the other method and let you know! Also in this particular instance it did crash immediately, but it does seem to be random times while encoding.
    I seem to have gotten it working now! I didn't delete/rename the x264 x64 file before, but I just did and it seems to be working!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Great ! Thanks for letting us know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry for the long delay. BD3D2MK3D v1.23 is finally here. It should fix all issues reported so far.
    v1.23 (September 10, 2021)
    - Updated the mkvtoolnix tools to the latest version (v56.1.0 'My Friend')
    - Bug fix: Crash when checking if Avisynth+ is properly installed when the VC++ redistributable package is not installed.
    - Bug fix: Clone subtitle positions did not work correctly when Process only the subs in the upper half of the screen was selected and the last subtitle in the guide was in the upper part of the screen.
    - Bug fix: Clone subtitle positions: The warning (if any) was added to the XML even if it was already present.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your continuous maintenance & improvements on this great tool, r0lZ
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi All!

I second this, thank you for this amazing tool Two questions:

1) Is there no tune: animation option for h.265? It is not in the dropdown but it seems to be in the official h.265 documentation
    2) Is there any way to produce an h.265 output file that MadVR recognises as 3D? I have tried both h.264 and h.265 frame sequential without success

Reason I'm asking 2) is because I am currently using MadVR to play the Blu Ray rips created with MakeMkv. I would love to compress these to h.265 to save space, but still take advantage of all MadVR features (cropping out the black bars of 3D content and scaling the image correctly in high quality).

Thank you very much in advance for your time!

Best wishes
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the thanks !

1) Sorry, but I can't see the animation option in the help of x265:
    -t/--tune <string> Tune the settings for a particular type of source or situation:
    psnr, ssim, grain, zerolatency, fastdecode
    Maybe the animation option is supported only by some builds, or it is simply missing in the help. If it's the case, I will add it in the next version, but I need to be sure. Can you leave the dropdown menu to "none" and add --tune animation (or whatever is the correct syntax) in the additional options field, and let me know if that works without error message ?

2) Sorry again, but I don't use MadVR and therefore I can't help much. Anyway, as far as I know, it is not possible to define an HEVC encoding as 3D. Only AVC supports that (notably with x264). BD3D2MK3D sets also the correct 3D flag in the header of the mkv, regardless of the encoder. At least that flag should be recognised by MadVR, even for a h265 encoding. The two standard methods to define the 3D format internally are therefore supported by BD3D2MK3D, and I can't invent another one. If MadVR cannot recognise the 3D format, you should report that limitation/bug to the developers.

Note that you can also add a specific extension to the filename, that can be used by some players to recognise the 3D-format. (See Settings -> Output file name.) If MadVR requires another extension, please let me know, and I'll add it in the next version. Try also the official extension for 3D MKV: .mk3d. Maybe that will be sufficient, but it is not possible to specify precisely the frame sequential format.

Anyway, I suppose you will have a more precise information in a forum dedicated to MadVR. And let me know if you find a solution, even if it doesn't require a modification of BD3D2MK3D. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Dear r0lZ,

Appreciate the detailed and prompt response!

1) Yes, that's what I have done (albeit more cumbersome method via editing the _ENCODE_3D.cmd directly). The jobs indeed encode without error message, indicating that it should work. Here is the section form the h.265 documentation mentioning the option: https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/stable/presets.html#tuning

2) Ok no problem. I have tried pretty much everything at this point, including re-encoding the MakeMKV file in Handbrake, and then setting the stereoscopic option in the file manually via mkvtoolnix gui as well, no dice. MadVR is no longer being developed. I will check the file name and extension suggestions you mentioned, but am pretty sure that MadVR just expects certain parameters in the AVC file itself. It can obviously play TAB and SBS files, but then the black bar cropping and image zoom doesn't produce the desired results. The cropping does work for a frame sequential file, but it only shows it as frame sequential, and I need TAB output for my passive LG in 4k.

I was perfectly happy with full resolution TAB files and PotPlayer until I tried MadVR last weekend, and the difference is astonishing. Just can't go back after seeing it. Very performance hungry, but worth it.

Last question: do you know if there is such a thing as an h.265 encoded frame packed mkv? Sorry if this is silly, I'm still learning about all this and my 3 hours of googling tonight were unsuccessful

Best wishes
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sorry for replying only now. I have not been noticed of your reply, and I find it only now.

1) OK, I have just added animation in the list of tuning parameters for x265. But I will not release a new version just for that. In the meantime, use the Additional parameters trick explained above. (You can save the parameters with Settings -> Save tab settings now.)

2) Hum, as I wrote above, h264 is not supposed to encode 3D content. IMO, only x264 has the internal flag in the video stream to instruct the player of the 3D format. (Although that flag is less good than the MKV header for this: you can define, for example, SBS, but not HSBS/FSBS and the order of the views.) Anyway, good luck !

3) Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. It is of course possible to encode 3D content in frame packed format, regardless of the encoder, but only h264 is officially supported for 3D content (and therefore, encoding 3D in UHD is theoretically not possible). Converting a 3D blu-ray to MKV, even in frame packed format, can be made potentially with any encoder, including x265, but as you know, x265 cannot inform the player of the right format.

AFAIK, frame packed 3D is rarely (and perhaps even never) available on the internet. It's certainly the less used packing method, even for x264. HSBS and HTAB are the only official standards. (BTW, I have added the frame-packed format in BD3D2MK3D originally only because some projectors require that format.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi r0lZ,

Awesome, thank you so much Really appreciate you replying at all and being so dedicated to this amazing tool.

Ok, I thought "page flip" / frame sequential and frame packed were different things? Where frame packed is basically full resolution TAB at 24fps with 40ish pixels vertically between, separating the images? And frame sequential alternating left/right image in a normal 1080p image at 48fps?

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

On another note, I have a question regarding cropping and stretching the image to eliminate black bars at cost of losing some information at the edges of the screen.

I understand you don't want to support this option (and I respect that). I've found your reply in an old locked thread:

"Anyway, if your intention is really to crop and enlarge a part of the image to keep the original AR and size unchanged, it is easy to modify the avisynth script to do it yourself. You can add the Crop() and *Resize() commands on the left and right views, and you'll get the zoom you want. That's really simple, if you know some basis of avisynth scripting. I can help you if you wish."

Would you be able to point me in the right direction with this? I believe the section in the .avs file that is generated that's relevant is this:

left = SelectEven(interleaved)
    right = SelectOdd(interleaved)

Is that correct, or do I need to put it somewhere else?

The commands I want to apply are these:

For 1.85:
    Crop(39, 22, -39, -22)
    Lanczos4Resize(1920, 1080)

For Cinemascope 2.35:
    Crop(235, 132, -235, -132)
    Lanczos4Resize(1920, 1080)

I have spent a few days reading about the AviSynth grammar, and have tried all possible combinations of including these commands myself, but could not make it work. It is sadly beyond my skill level. Would you please be so kind and let me know how I could make it happen?

Thank you a ton in advance!!!

Best wishes,

Robin
    Last edited by tOXicSilence; 21st Sep 2021 at 06:57.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The correct names for the various packing methods is not well established, except SBS (Side by Side). Even TAB is not always accepted : many peoples prefer OU, and to add to the confusion, I have decided to call it T&B in BD3D2MK3D. So, IMO, discussing of what is what doesn't make much sense. SBS, TAB and Frame Sequential are widely used, and I have adopted that packing methods and (almost) their names. I know that some players require fancy (read : totally out of standard) formats, such as some kind of TAB with an additional black bar in the middle, but it's stupid, as no software is able to create that bizarre formats (especially when the width of the additional black bar is an odd number of pixels, totally impossible to encode with any encoder !) Anyway, I use "packing" as a generic term that means "method to put together the images of the two stereoscopic views". It's also the terminology used by x264: the flag telling what 3D format is used is called frame packing. Therefore, for me and I believe most users, frame packing (or frame packed) doesn't specify a specific... frame packing method. It may be used to designate one of those fancy non-standard formats, but I suppose it's simply because they do not have a better name.

To crop each view independently (before they are joined), you can concatenate the commands in a single line with a dot, like this:
    left = SelectEven(interleaved).Crop(39, 22, -39, -22).Lanczos4Resize(1920, 1080)

Or, if you prefer to keep the commands on separate lines, you have to specify the name of the clip:
    left = SelectEven(interleaved)
    left = Crop(left, 39, 22, -39, -22)
    left = Lanczos4Resize(left, 1920, 1080)

But note that cropping the black bars and then resizing them to 1920x1080 (16:9) is IMO a nonsense. You will deform the image completely. Of course, you will not see the black borders any more, but the price to pay is, IMO, way too much. It's only my opinion, but it's why I don't want to add a crop feature in BD3D2MK3D. Even without the resize, the movie will be distorted when played on some TVs, like my Samsung. IMO, it's a crime !
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi r0lZ,

Thank you for such a detailed response and explanation! That makes sense.

Your instructions for the crop/resize worked! I actually got really close, it just bugged out with file name errors. Tried the exact syntax you suggested previously, and just didn't have my NAS drive mounted then The values I settled for after testing are:

left = SelectEven(interleaved).Crop(248, 140, -248, -140).Lanczos4Resize(1920, 1080)
    right = SelectOdd(interleaved).Crop(248, 140, -248, -140).Lanczos4Resize(1920, 1080)

I understand that the black bars topic usually spark a really charged philosophical discussion about what the correct way to watch a movie is What I am doing is not cropping and distorting the image. It is zooming the black bars away at the expense of losing information on the right/left side of the image (if we're talking cinemascope to 16:9).

The aspect ratio of the image remains the same, the geometry remains the same, it is just zoomed in more so that the picture fills the entire 16:9 screen.

I have attached a demo render of the original in cinemascope, and a zoomed version:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ifdozhPqSmIyDWfDIKJIfY5svDoVu7VJ?usp=sharing

The screenshots in that folder compare the quality of the Bluray "live" upscaled directly from 1080p in MadVR, and the h.265 compressed TAB file after being conditioned with the optimal MadVR settings. You may notice chroma compression in the background in the h.265 example, but apart from that, the quality is amazing.

File size of the h.265 is under 30% of the Bluray file for animated movies (CF20, --tune animation). File size for "normal" movies typically reaches about 40% of the original with CF20.

Thank you for all your help, this is now working exactly as intended for my use case! I've even been able to feed the file to Topaz Video Enhance AI to upscale it to 3840x4320. The process works, but it takes about 20x the runtime of the file to enhance it offline (RX5700XT). And the results are not superior enough to warrant the 40+hrs of rendering per movie on top of the previous conversion.

Take care and best wishes
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks for the info. I like to hear what users do with my programs. It's why I prefer to document all files as completely as possible, and avoid the (IMO bad) philosophy of the "press one big button and you'll get the job done". Obviously, you are such a power user, and I'm happy to develop BD3D2MK3D for guys like you.

Have fun with your 3D movies.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi r0lZ,

Awesome, thank you so much Really appreciate you replying at all and being so dedicated to this amazing tool.

About 95% of my movies have the audio format of TrueHD. I'm new to this and don't know what to do. Would be grateful if you could help me. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. What do you want to know about TrueHD ? It's an excellent lossless audio format with 7.1 or 5.1 channels. If your hardware supports it and you don't want to do very light conversion (requiring the minimum of disc space), you can keep it. Otherwise, you can enable the option in tab 2 to keep only the lossy 5.1 AC3 "core" (in fact, the AC3 "track" - see below). The quality is less good, but you will retain much disc space and ensure a good compatibility with all hardware and software players.

Note that the BD players are not required to support TrueHD audio. For that reason, when a THD track is present on a BD, it must be doubled with a regular lossy AC3 5.1 track, although the two tracks appear as one single track in the list of available audio tracks. That means that the AC3 track is not really a "core", and if you select the option in tab 2, that regular AC3 track will be extracted from the BD instead of the independent TrueHD track. Therefore, BD3D2MK3D will not need to convert the TrueHD track to AC3, and will extract the original AC3 from the BD without any modification. But note also that the MKV format does NOT support the "double THD/AC3" tracks trick. You have to chose either the THD or the AC3 track, or mux the two tracks independently. (This is different for DTS-HD Master Audio, where the 5.1 lossy DTS part is really a core, required to decode the DTS-HDMA, and therefore included anyway in the MKV if you decide to keep the HD track. But for DTS-HDMA too, you can decide to keep only the lossy core, and discard the HD extensions, with the same option in tab 2.)

More info about TrueHD is available on Wikipedia.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 16th Dec 2021 at 03:50.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    What do you want to know about TrueHD ? It's an excellent lossless audio format with 7.1 or 5.1 channels. If your hardware supports it and you don't want to do very light conversion (requiring the minimum of disc space), you can keep it. Otherwise, you can enable the option in tab 2 to keep only the lossy 5.1 AC3 "core" (in fact, the AC3 "track" - see below). The quality is less good, but you will retain much disc space and ensure a good compatibility with all hardware and software players.

Note that the BD players are not required to support TrueHD audio. For that reason, when a THD track is present on a BD, it must be doubled with a regular lossy AC3 5.1 track, although the two tracks appear as one single track in the list of available audio tracks. That means that the AC3 track is not really a "core", and if you select the option in tab 2, that regular AC3 track will be extracted from the BD instead of the independent TrueHD track. Therefore, BD3D2MK3D will not need to convert the TrueHD track to AC3, and will extract the original AC3 from the BD without any modification. But note also that the MKV format does NOT support the "double THD/AC3" tracks trick. You have to chose either the THD or the AC3 track, or mux the two tracks independently. (This is different for DTS-HD Master Audio, where the 5.1 lossy DTS part is really a core, required to decode the DTS-HDMA, and therefore included anyway in the MKV if you decide to keep the HD track. But for DTS-HDMA too, you can decide to keep only the lossy core, and discard the HD extensions, with the same option in tab 2.)

More info about TrueHD is available on Wikipedia.
    Hi r0lZ. Thank you very much for your reply. What I wanted to know was that if my MKV has only TrueHD available, how would I get sound with the extracted video. Based on your reply it seems that you can just select the AC3 at the bottom to extract the AC3 or convert the TrueHD to AC3. I'm not sure. I'm asking because according to the image I have to do something else. I'm also confused about the fact that a second demux has to be done.

[Attachment 62475 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ebruce; 21st Dec 2021 at 06:41.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Oh, yes, I forgot that point.

Indeed, the default demuxer used by BD3D2MK3D is tsMuxeR, and unfortunately it is unable to demux the THD track properly. But if you decide to keep it, BD3D2MK3D will do the whole demux with tsMuxeR, with the exception of the THD track. Then, a second demux will be launched, this time to extract only the THD track with eac3to. Don't worry, it's automatic, and that should work without problem. The only drawback is that demuxing a BD takes a long time, and two consecutive demuxes are very long. (BTW, BD3D2MK3D doesn't use eac3to to demux everything, because it has several problems, especially with the subtitles of many 3DBD. Therefore, tsMuxeR is better, but it has also the THD limitation, that eac3to doesn't have.)

Also, I see that you are using a MKV produced by MakeMKV as input. That's fine, but as I have explained in my previous post, the "double AC3+THD" audio stream of the BD cannot be kept in the MKV. Therefore, you have to select either the THD or the AC3 option (or both) in MakeMKV. If you select the AC3 stream, of course, the second demux pass will not be necessary and you will keep the original AC3 "pseudo-core" stream from the BD.

In both case, the "Use 5.1 core" option is not present in BD3D2MK3D, because the selection of THD or AC3 has already be done with MakeMKV and there is only a single AC3 OR THD track remaining in the input MKV. You can of course use the option to convert the THD track to AC3, but it's a pity, as a re-encoding will be necessary, and the quality will be slightly less good than selecting directly the AC3 stream in MakeMKV, and that will also take some time.

To select the AC3 5.1 track in MakeMKV, you have to click the > button next to the title you want to copy to expand the list of streams, then you can unselect the TrueHD 7.1 track and select the DD Surround 5.1 track just beneath it. (MakeMKV uses "DD" instead of "AC3".) By default, the two versions are selected, and therefore you should be able to do the final selection in BD3D2MK3D, or to keep both streams.

In summary, if you want to keep the THD track, just ignore the warning, and let BD3D2MK3D do the two demux passes. Otherwise, be sure to select the DD stream in MakeMKV instead of or in addition to the THD track.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    Oh, yes, I forgot that point.

Indeed, the default demuxer used by BD3D2MK3D is tsMuxeR, and unfortunately it is unable to demux the THD track properly. But if you decide to keep it, BD3D2MK3D will do the whole demux with tsMuxeR, with the exception of the THD track. Then, a second demux will be launched, this time to extract only the THD track with eac3to. Don't worry, it's automatic, and that should work without problem. The only drawback is that demuxing a BD takes a long time, and two consecutive demuxes are very long. (BTW, BD3D2MK3D doesn't use eac3to to demux everything, because it has several problems, especially with the subtitles of many 3DBD. Therefore, tsMuxeR is better, but it has also the THD limitation, that eac3to doesn't have.)

Also, I see that you are using a MKV produced by MakeMKV as input. That's fine, but as I have explained in my previous post, the "double AC3+THD" audio stream of the BD cannot be kept in the MKV. Therefore, you have to select either the THD or the AC3 option (or both) in MakeMKV. If you select the AC3 stream, of course, the second demux pass will not be necessary and you will keep the original AC3 "pseudo-core" stream from the BD.

In both case, the "Use 5.1 core" option is not present in BD3D2MK3D, because the selection of THD or AC3 has already be done with MakeMKV and there is only a single AC3 OR THD track remaining in the input MKV. You can of course use the option to convert the THD track to AC3, but it's a pity, as a re-encoding will be necessary, and the quality will be slightly less good than selecting directly the AC3 stream in MakeMKV, and that will also take some time.

To select the AC3 5.1 track in MakeMKV, you have to click the > button next to the title you want to copy to expand the list of streams, then you can unselect the TrueHD 7.1 track and select the DD Surround 5.1 track just beneath it. (MakeMKV uses "DD" instead of "AC3".) By default, the two versions are selected, and therefore you should be able to do the final selection in BD3D2MK3D, or to keep both streams.

In summary, if you want to keep the THD track, just ignore the warning, and let BD3D2MK3D do the two demux passes. Otherwise, be sure to select the DD stream in MakeMKV instead of or in addition to the THD track.
    Thank you for that great explanation. I deleted my ISO's so I no longer have the option to choose DD. Just wanted to confirm before I do anything. If I keep THD track do I still need to select the convert audio tracks to AC3 option?
    Quote Quote  
  23. It's up to you. If your hardware supports THD, don't convert it. Otherwise, do it !

Note that you can convert it later if you wish, with the Tools -> Convert audio... menu. But you will have to edit the __MUX_3D_options.json file manually to include the converted AC3 in the final MKV. Not really difficult !
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    It's up to you. If your hardware supports THD, don't convert it. Otherwise, do it!

Note that you can convert it later if you wish, with the Tools -> Convert audio... menu. But you will have to edit the __MUX_3D_options.json file manually to include the converted AC3 in the final MKV. Not really difficult!
    Thank you again. I have one last problem. It seems BD3D2MK3D is not showing my audio stream. So I get this error.
    [Attachment 62476 - Click to enlarge]

Playing the file in VLC shows that I do have an audio track in the video file.
    [Attachment 62477 - Click to enlarge]

But the audio cannot be selected at all in BD3D2MK3D.
    [Attachment 62478 - Click to enlarge]

Here's some information that can help.
    [Attachment 62479 - Click to enlarge]

Anything I can do? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Damn ! I don't remember that. I will have a look...
    Quote Quote  
  26. Image
    [Attachment 62480 - Click to enlarge]

Well, I did two complete tests, and everything works perfectly. The THD stream appears in tab 2, where you can select it. And it is correctly demuxed with eac3to. So, sorry, but I don't understand what is causing the problem, and I can't help much more. Try again with a good source.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Thank you for all your help. Just one more question. Is it possible to manually add your audio source? So that I can convert the MKV to audio and then choose it as my source when selecting the MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I don't know. If BD3D2MK3D doesn't show the THD source, it's for a good reason. But you can try to demux the THD source manually with, for example, gMkvExtractGUI, and process the video alone with BD3D2MK3D (ignoring the No Audio warning). Finally, you will have to remux the new MKV and the THD audio together to create the final MKV with audio with MkvToolnix. If the demux of the audio works correctly, the rest should be straightforward.

Oops, no, it's even simpler. You don't need gMkvExtractGUI. Just install MkvToolnix, and create the SBS MKV without audio with BD3D2MK3D. When it is finished, load it in the MkvToolnixGUI, and add the original MKV in the MkvToolnixGUI as a new source. Deselect the video and subtitle tracks you don't need, and leave only all tracks from the SBS and the audio from the original MKV. Save. Again, if the audio is accepted, that should work.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd Dec 2021 at 11:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi r0lZ,

As a heads-up, latest matroska specs state that multiple tracks can have the default track flag set, to make them candidate for default playback. It's different from earlier days where only one track could be set.
    Therefor, I wonder if it would be proper to replace the "default" radiobuttons in the "2: Select streams" tab with "default" checkboxes?

FYI: https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/wikis/Default-and-forced-flags-and-default-yes-no-in-the-GUI

Cheers
    Quote Quote