VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    @ngkhj:

In addition, should you want to make use of the 3D subtitles on the bluray, re-ripping and converting using BD3D2MK3D also gives you the benefit of being able to keep the original subtitle-depth.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have played the BD I had rebuilt on two Samsung and one LG bluray players. I can confirm it contains 3D video. I am not sure if you had rebuilt differently from what I did. Anyway I will try other methods to make the 3D SBS mkv or maybe just bite the bullet & take the Makemkv path to recreate it. Thanks for all your help. Have a good weekend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    @ngkhj:

In addition, should you want to make use of the 3D subtitles on the bluray, re-ripping and converting using BD3D2MK3D also gives you the benefit of being able to keep the original subtitle-depth.
    Thanks for the info!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ngkhj View Post
    I have played the BD I had rebuilt on two Samsung and one LG bluray players. I can confirm it contains 3D video. I am not sure if you had rebuilt differently from what I did. Anyway I will try other methods to make the 3D SBS mkv or maybe just bite the bullet & take the Makemkv path to recreate it. Thanks for all your help. Have a good weekend
    That's right. In a 3D blu-ray, the depth of the 3D subtitles are stored in SEI messages attached to the MVC video stream. Unfortunately, when the video is re-encoded, that messages are lost, and therefore, the correct depths of the individual subtitles cannot be preserved.

The 3D subtitles can be converted for SBS or TAB by BD3D2MK3D, but of course if they are still present in the source BD. (BTW, the SEI messages are not lost when you convert a 3D movie from a BD to a MKV with MakeMKV, because MakeMKV doesn't re-encode the video. The copy is not destructive, and BD3D2MK3D can still find the 3D info.)
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm hoping someone can help me because I must be doing something wrong. I'm trying to use MakeMKV 1.15.3 and BD3D2MK3D 1.2 to rip some of my 3D blu-rays for playback on an Oculus Rift 2. The problem that I'm running into is that the left and right images are not being reassembled by the player correctly, which I suspect is something in the tags and not so much in the actual video files themselves. I'm using defaults everywhere for half (and tried full) side-by-side. The opening Paramount logo, for example, has the Paramount mountain dead center. However, what I see is the left half of the image touching the right edge of the screen and the right half of the image touching the left edge of the screen so instead of () I see )(, if that makes sense. 2D playback looks fine, opening the file in VLC appears to show the right and left halves at the same time and they look fine as well, so I just don't understand why the 3D player is struggling with it (I've tried two different players, BigscreenVR and GizmoVR. I downloaded a sample SBS file online and that had no problems. Ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have no experience with your VR players, so I can't help directly, but can you post here an image extracted from the sample SBS you have downloaded, or just post here the link where I can download the sample myself ? Perhaps that will help me.

Can you confirm that the aspect ratio of the movie created by BD3D2MK3D is correct (the image doesn't look stretched in a specific direction) ?

Also, have you checked BD3D2MK3D with several movies, or just one ? It is possible that a movie reacts differently for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm guessing that it's something in the metadata for aspect ratio or the like that is causing the issue because the image "looks" fine, see attached. But what I do notice is that unlike the sample video I downloaded, VLC is not properly stretching this video to take up the whole screen, so for some reason those black borders on the side appear to be messing with how the player reassemble the video into a 3D image. FFPROBE gives the following information but I'm happy to provide whatever will help me get to the bottom of this. This was done as a Full SBS with all defaults selected to my knowledge.

Code:
    Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'Star Trek Test 3D-SBS 1080p 3D-Full-SBS.mkv':
      Metadata:
        title           : Star Trek Test
        AUTHOR          : BD3D2MK3D 1.20
        creation_time   : 2020-12-01T14:27:00.000000Z
        TITLE-eng       : Star Trek Test
        ENCODER         : x264_x64.exe
                        : x264 0.161.3027 4121277
                        : (libswscale 5.6.100)
                        : (libavformat 58.33.100)
                        : (lsmash 2.16.1)
                        : built on Oct 26 2020, gcc: 8.2-win32 20190215
                        : x264 configuration: --chroma-format=all
                        : libx264 configuration: --chroma-format=all
                        : x264 license: GPL version 2 or later
                        : libswscale/libavformat license: LGPL version 2.1 or later
        ENCODER_SETTINGS: --crf 23 --preset medium --sar 1:1 --range tv --colormatrix bt709 --frame-packing 3
        DATE_ENCODED    : 2020-12-01
        ORIGINAL_MEDIA_TYPE: Blu-ray 3D
      Duration: 00:00:30.07, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 7905 kb/s
        Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 0.054000
        Metadata:
          title           : 1 - 0:00:00
        Chapter #0:1: start 0.054000, end 30.072000
        Metadata:
          title           : Chapter 01
        Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(tv, bt709/unknown/unknown, progressive), 3840x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 32:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.9
    5 tbc (default)
        Metadata:
          title           : 3D Full-SBS (x264 high CRF 23 preset medium)
          stereo_mode     : left_right
        Side data:
          stereo3d: side by side
        Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (LC), 48000 Hz, 5.1, fltp
        Metadata:
          title           : English (AC3 converted to AAC 5.1 quality 0.5)
        Stream #0:2: Attachment: text
        Metadata:
          filename        : __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs
          mimetype        : text/plain
        Stream #0:3: Attachment: none
        Metadata:
          filename        : __ENCODE_3D.cmd
          mimetype        : text/x-msdos-batch
        Stream #0:4: Attachment: text
        Metadata:
          filename        : BD3D2MK3D.log
          mimetype        : text/plain
    The original file shows this:

Code:
        Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
        Metadata:
          stereo_mode     : block_lr
          BPS-eng         : 37413487
          DURATION-eng    : 02:02:22.209875000
          NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 176037
          NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 34337205383
          SOURCE_ID-eng   : 001011
          _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release)
          _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2020-11-30 02:22:17
          _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID
        Side data:
          stereo3d: frame alternate
        Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s (default)
        Metadata:
          title           : Surround 5.1
          BPS-eng         : 640000
          DURATION-eng    : 02:02:22.240000000
          NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 229445
          NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 587379200
          SOURCE_ID-eng   : 001100
          _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release)
          _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2020-11-30 02:22:17
          _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID
    [Attachment 56026 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Unfortunately, there is no well designed standard for Full-SBS, and the aspect ratio necessary for a specific player may be different than for another one. It's why, in BD3D2MK3D, there are two options to change the aspect ratio for full-SBS : see the menu Settings -> Full-SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio. The aspect ratio is saved in two different locations, hence the two options, but most players take only one of them into account. Change the two options and try again with a short clip.

For Half-SBS, the standard is well defined, and should be OK for all players, including for VR. But it might be necessary to configure the player for the correct Half/Full mode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for those hints. I tried switching both the full/half setting as well as changing the AR setting but that didn't seem to make any difference, the output always looks the same in both players I try.

Does this sample help?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, the sample is encoded in HSBS with BD3D2MK3D, and it is IMO perfect. Full screen as it should (with only black borders above and below the picture due to the original Cinemascope format). A good 3D player should display it correctly. I'm not sure why the VR players display it wrongly. Perhaps there is a setting to change somewhere, but the two AR in the sample are correct, since there is no other choice for HSBS.

BTW, please do not test 3D material with VLC. Use a real 3D player like PotPlayer. Or extract the source image directly from the video clip, and do not post a screen capture of the player's window. In your capture above, the vertical black borders have been added at playback time by PotPlayer itself, to fill the empty space between the image and the border of the window. It's obviously not a problem in the video.

Here is a capture of an image from your sample made with PotPlayer. As you can see, there is no useless black border.
    [Attachment 56028 - Click to enlarge]

When the correct 3D options are used, the AR is correct, like with this anaglyph rendering, again with PotPlayer :
    [Attachment 56029 - Click to enlarge]

Sorry, but I can't help much more. Try to contact the authors of the VR players to get some help. And if you find the issue, please post the explanation here. I'm curious to know what's the source of the problem, and perhaps I will modify slightly BD3D2MK3D if it is sufficient to solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you for your help r0lZ. I had meant to download one of those recommended players but the kids had used up the internet cap so I was trying to avoid overage until this month started new, but I just grabbed PotPlayer for future testing. I agree with you that everything appears correct so I'll try to reach out to the VR player developers to see why both of their programs fail in the same way on this material but work correctly on something else I downloaded. I just figured I must have one stupid thing set somewhere that's causing an issue. If I find a resolution, I will let you all know. Or if you know of a good 3D player for VR headsets I could try, I'm all ears (and eyes). Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sadly, I have no experience with VR. I bought a cheap headset, but not good enough to watch a movie, and I gave it to a kid. Currently, I prefer my Samsung TV.

Good luck !
    Quote Quote