VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I only burn dvds for fights so I dont know a whole lot about the subject. But from what I know, having a HD video (1280x720) file results in video quality loss when transferring to dvd. I use convertx2dvd4. Do I have to use blank HD dvds to preserve the quality?

Also,

How does a 2004 panasonic es30v dvd recorder/ vhs compare to a current dvd burner from a lenova edge pc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by tysn View Post
    But from what I know, having a HD video (1280x720) file results in video quality loss when transferring to dvd.?
    Yes, a considerable quality loss. That's because it's not "transferred" to DVD but completely reencoded to the lower 720x480 DVD resolution.
    Do I have to use blank HD dvds to preserve the quality?
    DVD video isn't HD but standard def using the MPEG2 video codec. Here, read What Is DVD.

Give a try to AVSToDVD and see if you like the result.

Once you get a DVD you're satisfied with you should burn to disk using the freeware IMGBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume and hope you mean "flights" and not 'fights". As manono stated, DVD-Video is SD resolution 480p or 576p max. If you want to retain the 720p resolution (you'll always lose quality when you convert to any format) you have to either burn a AVCHD DVD (essentially a mini Blu-Ray) or a Blu-Ray disc, neither of which will play on a DVD player.

For $50-100 you can get an Android tablet that will likely play your files directly. No conversion or quality loss. Yes, it may be a bit pricey for you, but the savings in time and quality DVDs, currently only Verbatim AZO discs are readily available, will likely cover the costs in no time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you kindly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, thanks for this informatio to retain the 720p resolution you have to either burn a AVCHD DVD
    All is possible in this web
    Quote Quote  
  6. What's the player or play method?

If you're using a laptop instead of a portable dvd player, that would eliminate the conversion and quality loss

If you're using a dvd player, either the Panasonic or pc will give you about the same quality - lower than source.

Whatever is convenient.

Dvd costs are a 1-time purchase.
    Simply use DVD-RW discs and erase after the flight to reuse.

The android tablet is smart - just drag and drop into the tablet, which plays everything (vlc, etc players). Of course, this also begs the question - if you fly a lot, why even copy? A Microsoft Surface is a full pc, so you can do everything on that alone - ripping, injest, capture, playback, etc.

You always start with blank dvds so the videos you add have the full disc space to encode to. Higher quality than trying to add videos to a disc that already has some videos on it.

A portable bluray player and bluray burner can also give you better picture quality.
    Quote Quote