VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have downloaded subtitles from other sites before but I cant do it from the NBC site. https://www.nbc.com/saved-by-the-bell/video/wall-street/3752360

I looked at the network tab on my dev tools manager but none of the listed elements are a subtitle file whatsoever. I would appreciate any hints.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. simply
    Code:
    youtube-dl https://www.nbc.com/saved-by-the-bell/video/wall-street/3752360
    or more simple, use IDM (VPN USA)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Code:
    https://mpxstatic-nbcmpx.nbcuni.com/caption/451/631/180627_3752360_Wall_Street.tt
    Quote Quote  
  4. thank you, but could you please tell me how did you get that? I couldnt find it under the network tab.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    use IDM (VPN USA)
    I tried IDM but there is only one 1080p file listed and its only 7 minutes long. Where is the rest? The only file which appears to have full length is only 540p.
    Quote Quote  
  6. use
    Code:
    youtube-dl -F https://www.nbc.com/saved-by-the-bell/video/wall-street/3752360
    and have list of format available. then choose your preferred format, then use:

Code:
    youtube-dl -f hls-xxx https://www.nbc.com/saved-by-the-bell/video/wall-street/3752360
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    use
    thanks but I think I am kinda confused here. After I have downloaded the ts file with IDM it says the video lasts only 7 minutes but if I actually play it the duration is over 23 minutes (thats the full duration). That does mean the video is not really on my hard drive but it just is streamed as I play it? I use VLC to play it by the way.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    After I have downloaded the ts file with IDM it says the video lasts only 7 minutes but if I actually play it the duration is over 23 minutes (thats the full duration).
    Some of the hls versions of the videos on this site are constructed with "DISCONTINUITY" flags, or are otherwise segmented, at the ad insertion points.

Some download software merely appends the subsequent video segments (after the first ad insertion point). This results in the duration appearing to be the same as the length of the first segment (before the first ad insertion point). But in actuality the remaining video segments are appended and will play after the first segment finishes, usually resetting the time counter when each starts.

This usually can be fixed with a simple remux. However, in some cases, the audio will lose sync (or will progressively drift) after the first DISCONTINUITY point. Some extra steps may be required to keep the sync for the entire duration when remuxing those videos.

Not all hls versions on this site have "DISCONTINUITY" flags, and not all sources on this site are hls.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ffmpeg -i "Wall Street.ts" -c copy "Wall Street-Repair".ts
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you guys. And how do I get the subs only? Like chapun67 did?
    Quote Quote  
  11. And how do I get the subs only?
    Use this:
    Code:
    youtube-dl --all-subs --skip-download https://www.nbc.com/saved-by-the-bell/video/wall-street/3752360
    This will give you a tt file. Then put that into Subtitle Edit and save as srt for the whole show. Here are the first ten subtitles straight from Subtitle Edit:
    (Note: you can also try a tt>srt online converter like: https://transcribefiles.net/other/pages/caption-subtitle-converter.htm)
    00:00:08,367 --> 00:00:10,867
    Hey, Mikey, how are you doing?

00:00:08,367 --> 00:00:10,867
    How was your weekend?

00:00:10,900 --> 00:00:12,900
    Can I borrow $300?

00:00:12,933 --> 00:00:15,600
    Fine, great, and not a chance.

00:00:15,633 --> 00:00:17,800
    Mikey, do you still have

00:00:15,633 --> 00:00:17,800
    those savings bonds?

00:00:17,833 --> 00:00:20,267
    Okay, Zack, what gives?

00:00:20,300 --> 00:00:22,400
    It was all my father's fault.

00:00:22,433 --> 00:00:25,233
    He told me not to fool around

00:00:22,433 --> 00:00:25,233
    with his new video camera.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 31st Dec 2019 at 20:56.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you although I would like to know how did chapun67 get the download url.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    get the download url.
    Firefox>>F12>>search>>link
    Code:
    https://link.theplatform.com/s/NnzsPC/media/_sB6dWT9wdv_?policy=147097231&fallbackSiteSectionId=9244655&siteSectionId=oneapp_desktop_computer_web_ondemand&manifest=m3u&switch=HLSOriginSecure&_fw_h_referer=www.nbc.com&schema=2.0&player=One+App+-+PDK+6+NBC.com+Instance+of%3A+rational-player-production&auto=true&format=preview&tracking=true&formats=MPEG-DASH+widevine,M3U+appleHlsEncryption,M3U+none,MPEG-DASH+none,MPEG4,MP3&width=324&height=182&sdk=PDK+6.1.2
    >> open your link
    Quote Quote  
  14. Question for anybody and also chapun67,
    (see below screenshot1, red circles) I typed in
    "link"
    in the searchbox and among several entries, I found the http link that chapun67 mentioned above. If you open that link, you can easily find the subtitle link because it ends in "tt" and also has the word "caption". (see screenshot2, red circles)
    My question is, to get the captions, how did chapun67 know to type in "link", and also, once you get the link, there is no mention of subtitle, tt, captions, etc in the link, so how would anybody know to choose that link to get the captions?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	51297  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	51298  

Last edited by jimdagys; 1st Jan 2020 at 07:10.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thats a very interesting question! I would like to know that too.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Outfits like ooyala, brightcove, kaltura, and theplatform provide a content management system for online video platforms.

If there is network traffic to those systems, you'll be justified in having a reasonable hunch that various manifests, descriptions, or other payload about the content is being fetched by that traffic.

In this particular case, the discrete caption file is not used, because captions are also embedded within the hls/ts video, which is what the nbc player is using.

But theplatform is designed to support other formats, like hds or mp4, where a discrete caption file is needed. With dash and hls now becoming more and more dominant, a discrete caption file is now mostly just for legacy support.

youtube-dl retrieves the discrete caption file (for this site) using a similar request to theplatform. The authors of the youtube-dl code probably have background knowledge of the history of the various implementations of theplatform system.

Not every user of theplatform cms still implements a discrete caption file, but most do, so it is probably still the default in the system.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Also you can use the latest version of Tubedigger to instantly download the srt subtitles. I used Chromium3 browser setting. You can use the free trial version to download the complete subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I think there have been some changes on NBC site. How to get subs now?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by m0ck View Post
    I think there have been some changes on NBC site. How to get subs now?
    Link to content.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by [ss]vegeta View Post
    Originally Posted by m0ck View Post
    Link to content.
    Example link:
    Code:
    https://www.nbc.com/vuelve-a-mi/video/te-encontre/9000356927
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by m0ck View Post
    Originally Posted by [ss]vegeta View Post
    Originally Posted by m0ck View Post
    Link to content.
    Example link:
    Code:
    https://www.nbc.com/vuelve-a-mi/video/te-encontre/9000356927
    Hi, sorry for replying so late.

The subtitles are inside the mp4. Of course first you need to decrypt the file. Then, follow this post from ProWo to extract them as .srt
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/409058-Exraction-and-Convert-EIA-608-C608-subtitle...at#post2685124
    I was messing around with ffmpeg CLI and CCextractor CLI but I couldn't make it work.
    This Clever FFmpeg GUI did the work.
    Thank you ProWo! Thank you for making this tool!

P.S. This seems like it extracted the Spanish subtitles but there are English CC as well. Dunno what to do to get those. Perhaps ProWo can help us out?
    P.P.S File in question - https://we.tl/t-f7w6WYOxOv
    MediaInfo of file in question
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\User\Desktop\ffmpeg extract\adfrfg.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 173 MiB
    Duration : 53 min 20 s
    Overall bit rate : 453 kb/s
    Frame rate : 29.970 FPS
    Writing application : Lavf58.45.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L2.1
    Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 53 min 19 s
    Bit rate : 334 kb/s
    Width : 512 pixels
    Height : 288 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Original frame rate : 29.970 (29970/1000) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.076
    Stream size : 134 MiB (78%)
    Writing library : x264 core 164 r3095 baee400
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=9 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=6 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=334 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=509 / vbv_bufsize=509 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.41 / aq=1:1.00
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Duration : 53 min 20 s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 93.4 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 35.6 MiB (21%)
    Language : Spanish
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1

Text #1
    ID : 1-CC1
    Format : EIA-608
    Muxing mode : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
    Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
    Start time (commands) : 11 s 612 ms
    Start time : 12 s 246 ms
    Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)
    Count of frames before first event : 397
    Type of the first event : PopOn

Text #2
    ID : 1-CC3
    Format : EIA-608
    Start time (commands) : 13 s 580 ms
    Start time : 13 s 947 ms
    Count of frames before first event : 448
    Type of the first event : PopOn

Text #3
    ID : 1-1
    Format : EIA-708

Text #4
    ID : 1-2
    Format : EIA-708
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by [ss]vegeta; 14th Jan 2024 at 13:29.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by [ss]vegeta View Post
    P.S. This seems like it extracted the Spanish subtitles but there are English CC as well. Dunno what to do to get those. Perhaps ProWo can help us out?
    To extract the EIA-608 closed captions in English:

Code:
    ffmpeg -f lavfi -data_field 1 -i "movie=adfrfg.mp4[out+subcc]" -map 0:1 output.srt
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by pteque View Post
    To extract the EIA-608 closed captions in English:

Code:
    ffmpeg -f lavfi -data_field 1 -i "movie=adfrfg.mp4[out+subcc]" -map 0:1 output.srt
    Thank you. I was trying a very similar command but couldn't get it. Also, the FFMPEG in my PATH seems to be old, it's time to upgrade.
    Quote Quote