VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

Does any PC software exist that works like Faceapp for Android? I need to alter some photos for a project... like adding a hat or glasses, tattoo, scar, maybe aging a photo... eye color etc.

I prefer to do this on an actual computer as opposed to a phone... for obvious reasons like a giant monitor, mouse, keyboard... also don't want to have to send my photos to the app developers server as all of these seem to require.

I also don't want to simply use something like Bluestacks to emulate the Android app since like I said I don't want to upload photos to servers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not that i've ever seen. i use photoshop for things like that. a close second if you don't have it is the free "gimp".
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    not that i've ever seen. i use photoshop for things like that. a close second if you don't have it is the free "gimp".
    I use GIMP but not with any real skill. I can do some things with it but nothing like this.

I was hoping there would be some software that does this automatically like the phone app does just by selecting with a series of menus and options.
    I mean if this can be done on a phone a computer can certainly handle the job... although I understand that the file is uploaded to a server where the conversion is done but still... it a computer...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    Hey,

Does any PC software exist that works like Faceapp for Android? I need to alter some photos for a project... like adding a hat or glasses, tattoo, scar, maybe aging a photo... eye color etc.

I prefer to do this on an actual computer as opposed to a phone... for obvious reasons like a giant monitor, mouse, keyboard... also don't want to have to send my photos to the app developers server as all of these seem to require.

I also don't want to simply use something like Bluestacks to emulate the Android app since like I said I don't want to upload photos to servers.
    found this - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/faceapp-for-pc/hcfjmganobjchjpggjacekcmfjpmmike?hl=en-US
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use GIMP but not with any real skill. I can do some things with it but nothing like this.

I was hoping there would be some software that does this automatically like the phone app does just by selecting with a series of menus and options.
    I mean if this can be done on a phone a computer can certainly handle the job... although I understand that the file is uploaded to a server where the conversion is done but still... it a computer...
    The bolded part of the sentence is the key to many "How do they do this?" questions. Home PCs have gotten much more powerful and for most applications are do as well or better than server level machines. However, what people fail to understand that your home PC is doing multiple things in the background that dedicated servers or server farms don't have to, giving them more power to do their dedicated tasks better and faster.

A prime example are BitCoin mining farms. These use multiple GPUs on machines with a minimal OS install dedicated to a single task.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post

The bolded part of the sentence is the key to many "How do they do this?" questions. Home PCs have gotten much more powerful and for most applications are do as well or better than server level machines. However, what people fail to understand that your home PC is doing multiple things in the background that dedicated servers or server farms don't have to, giving them more power to do their dedicated tasks better and faster.

A prime example are BitCoin mining farms. These use multiple GPUs on machines with a minimal OS install dedicated to a single task.
    Do you really think this takes this much power?
    I can render video while ripping a Bluray, encoding audio files and doing many other tasks simultaneously and my PC is fine. I sure it could handle a simple jpg. alteration.... Apps like this have to have 100's or 1000's of pictures coming in constantly ... and the returns are practically instant. It can't require that much processing power to do a single picture...

If anything my guess is that most people are glued to their phones and for some reason use them as a substitute for a computer so for a program of this nature the profit probably isn't there. It's sad that people think a phone is a true substitute for a real camera, camcorder, media player, computer etc....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As with all things, there's a difference between doing things and doing them well and properly. Your home PC may have to the capability to run the app october262 linked to directly, but there are other processes that require dedicated machines and software to do properly. I always get a chuckle when someone posts "How do they did this video effect?" and when given consumer software like After Effects are disappointed the results or are surprised to find out it's not one click solution. The gap between home and server processors has shrunk significantly, but there's still a huge difference doing CGI at home and the work done by dedicated server farms staffed by professionals.

I remember the days when certain Photoshop filters were "Get and enjoy a cup of coffee." because it would take minutes or sometimes hours to work, versus seconds today. The fact that I can do it faster, doesn't mean I'm doing them well and properly compared to a professional.

I agree with your comment about people looking at their phone as an all in one solution which is related my by thread about how I believe the expectation of quality video is going down even though the technology available today and the near future is capable of so much more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I can't really debate this with you more since all my comments were simply based on assumption.
    I just figured this would be an easy task to accomplish these days... probably since this was popularized with the phone apps. (but until I tried one I never realized that all of them require uploading your photos).
    Honestly, if processing time was required it would not bother me... but I guess for most people in the world of instant gratification it wouldn't fly. If people had to wait 5-10 minutes or even 1 these apps wouldn't have 100million + downloads!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The upload requirement may just be data mining since the app has ads. Though since it's an Android app (at least the version I searched), the processing may be done on servers because Android devices vary so greatly in CPU power.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    The upload requirement may just be data mining since the app has ads. Though since it's an Android app (at least the version I searched), the processing may be done on servers because Android devices vary so greatly in CPU power.
    Yeah, the 'processing on their server' is the logic behind all of them uploading the pics. (at least this is their claim.)
    And although they have ads like most they can also be purchased to remove them but the files will still be required to upload.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    faceapp is owned by russians and they do reserve the right to use what you upload and other data off your phone.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i had a w98 program called kai's supergoo many years ago. did most of what you want. hasn't been around for years... worked fine even on ancient pIII cpus
    --
    Quote Quote