VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Xfinity's X-1 cable box does not have composite outs so I cannot connect my Slingbox 500. Frontier Factory seems to be the only converter that also includes an HDMI output so that both composite and HDMI signals are both sent to the Slingbox. I really don't want to spend $80 for the device but all other converters that I have seen do not have the HDMI out. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Get a $20 1x2 HDMI splitter and a cheaper HDMI to component (composite?) converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just pointing out that you say component in the title and talk about composite in your post. A bit confusing.

Edit: I see jagabo caught it too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Get a $20 1x2 HDMI splitter and a cheaper HDMI to component (composite?) converter.
    Don't you have to be careful to be sure the splitter strips the cable copy protection before feeding the signal to the converter?

Edit:From what I've read, Xfiinty's signal is definitely protected and either the splitter and/or the converter has to be able to strip the protection. Not all do.

I used to use a Slingbox, but found too clunky and slow. I'm on Spectrum and just recently found out that their online viewing apps allows me to watch whatever I've recorded on my DVR. No need for a Slingbox. I would think Xfinity has a similar app.
    Last edited by lingyi; 28th Dec 2019 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I really don't care about watching dvr'd shows. I need real time remote viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Xfinity's app for streaming live TV.

"Watch anywhere, on any device, any time you like

Stream live TV plus thousands of shows and movies with Xfinity On Demand."

https://www.xfinity.com/stream/

I didn't mention live TV streaming in my other post because I thought that would be assumed to be a standard feature.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    You can use Xfinity's app for streaming live TV.

"Watch anywhere, on any device, any time you like

Stream live TV plus thousands of shows and movies with Xfinity On Demand."

https://www.xfinity.com/stream/

I didn't mention live TV streaming in my other post because I thought that would be assumed to be a standard feature.
    I've seen posts here from people who are using Slingbox to access their US paid TV services while temporarily living or traveling outside the USA. I'm not sure if Xfinity's On-Demand and live streaming are useful outside the USA.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote