VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone

Im in the process of changing from windows 10 to linux, in recente years i started using premiere pro and i find it very good, but i've been plagued by the windows 10 errors before/after updates, the OS to me is getting slower and after being introduced to Davinci Resolve i want to try it on Linux, i know ill have to learn a lot but the basic stuff is almost identical to Premiere, with time i can learn the rest.

I plan on using multicam video/audio sync, thats why i choose Resolve.

I've tried different linux distributions over the years and one thing stoping me from making the switch was the lack of a good NLE.

Can anyone suggest a good linux distribution? from what i've been reading the most suggested distribution is ubuntu studio because of a "low latency kernel", is Ubuntu Studio a better solution?

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by ricardouk; 28th Dec 2019 at 09:05.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you look at the list of supported codecs in Linux (https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/SupportNotes/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Supported_Codec_List.pdf), you'll see that you can't encode to x.264 or x.265 in the Linux version. This is kind of a deal breaker for many, including me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Hoser Rob,i wasnt aware of that limitation, will check the link, thansk for the info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    h265 encoding is not a issue for me, the pdf says we can export to mov using quicktime h264, couldnt we just use something like avidemux on linux after the export to create an mp4 without reconverting audio or video.

for example using resolve i exported a file called "testing.mov", i could extract the audio and video and create an mp4 without needing to reconvert video and audio again, with avidemux on windows we can take the streams from the mov and mux them on to a mp4 file.

mp4/mov are just containers for the audio and video.
    Last edited by ricardouk; 28th Dec 2019 at 10:01.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ffmpeg is working well or even dedicated tool to mux mp4, mp4box
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi _Al_, thanks for the info, so in theory if using the mov (h264) export option and then having a ffmpeg auto script/mp4box/avidemux "extracting" the streams and creating an mp4 file with those streams the problem would be solved?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricardouk View Post
    hi _Al_, thanks for the info, so in theory if using the mov (h264) export option and then having a ffmpeg auto script/mp4box/avidemux "extracting" the streams and creating an mp4 file with those streams the problem would be solved?
    see this page - https://itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/
    Quote Quote  
  8. I do a lot of video editing on Linux (my platform of choice from my home desktop) and I primarily use Shotcut, which I find to be very good.

For Linux distros, for a primary system that needs to be stable and reliable, I only use Ubuntu LTS, primarily with the MATE desktop, though I like KDE and Budgie as well.

Having said this, If I was going to make money with my system, I would use a Mac, I know there will be a bunch of people that will have a conniption fit but to me professional grade editing pretty much means Mac/OSX and I would stick with FCPX because of it's ability to support ProRes RAW as well as numerous hardware accelerators.

If i didn't want to spend the money on a Mac, I would use Win 10 (I feel dirty just saying it), if using Premiere I would choose an NVIDIA gpu, if using Resolve I would use an AMD gpu, for Vegas I would probably use an AMD gpu as well.

But Linux? I like Linux and have been using it exclusively for years but I wouldn't consider it a serious platform for video editing. Yes Davinci runs on Linux but it has serious GUI scaling problems, the free version doesn't support a slew of features and frankly I consider it a mess.

For easy editing on Linux Shotcut, a nice step up would be Windows plus either TMPG's software or the cheaper Vegas siblings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone, just an updtate... like i said back in December i was trying to move from windows to linux, i've tried several linux distributions over the years from xubuntu, lubuntu, mint etc etc.

the past six monts i tried mint, manjaro, and ubuntu in different desktop flavours, they all worked well for the first 2 days but as soon updates/drivers got updated loads of problems started to appear ranging from video drivers stoping the login, desktop envrinoment crashes (xfce, mate etc), grub errors, the one i spent more time without issues was the latest ubuntu 20.04, i was surprised since it was a new version i thought i would have more issues, davinvi resolve installed without errors, no 3rd party scripts needed, nvidia drivers working well but after a week similar issues started to apear with the updates.

So i've decided to go back to windows 10, Thanks for all the tips.
    Quote Quote