VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have written many subtitles over the years but without crediting myself at the end and i want to add the same one in bulk to 500+ srt/ssa files.
    How do i do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In some jurisdictions subtitles of a published film are subject to the same copyright restrictions as the video itself. Here in Australia many internet subtitle sites are blocked along with pirate and others. So possibly a good idea to check the legal status of which ever country you are located otherwise simply remain anonymous.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was thinking username but its an easy missunderstanding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    In some jurisdictions subtitles of a published film are subject to the same copyright restrictions as the video itself. Here in Australia many internet subtitle sites are blocked along with pirate and others. So possibly a good idea to check the legal status of which ever country you are located otherwise simply remain anonymous.
    And they are my originals so how is it not mine?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Define "originals"
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you transcribed by hand the dialog of a movie owned by say Warner Bros, they then own your text transcription. Not in all jurisdictions but many.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, sharing is caring. If your work is good, word of internet will get you recognition. I usually strip subtitle credits, which is much easier than adding them, but there are a few fansub groups that I appreciate and leave their credits and seek out more of their work. There are a few really annoying groups and individuals who put their credits in the middle of their subs. Those I definitely strip or look for other subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normally people who like to put their name to subs put them at the end, just add say 5 seconds after the end timing or if there is a a few seconds of nothing before the first sub you can add them in at the beginning. Most people I know just strip them out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Define "originals"
    The text is my translation of what is said. Not sure what that counts as. They are not rips off disks or something.
    Last edited by jooj; 28th Dec 2019 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with credits at the end programmatically is how do you determine the end last time of the subtitle and automatically append your text with the correct timecode, though I'm sure someone could create or has created a routine that can do that.

I'm in the strip them out camp since they may distract from something integral or additive to the movie/video such as music only closing scenes or outtakes. Again, generally not a fan of creator credits on subtitles.

Edit: @netmask56. Seeing that you and I are only ones posting on this thread points to the majority of members on this site aren't interested in helping add credits to subtitles either.
    Quote Quote