VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I cannot find a solution of my problem so I ask here just in case:

I have a Sony bluray player connected to 2 hdmi tv, my goal it to use a usb stick connected on the bluray to be display on the tv's.
    I have transfer many .mp4 files into my usb stick and separate them in different folders, I also renamed them as follow song1.mp4, song2.mp4 etc... however when display on my tv screen I see the file twice as follow: song1.mp4 and "_song1.mp4" the following is display on screen as "Not recognise or corrupted" but the song1.mp4 does play. What does it mean, also does the "_song.mp4" is actually duplicates and how can I remove this ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I moved your post to a new thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    however when display on my tv screen I see the file twice as follow: song1.mp4 and "_song1.mp4" the following is display on screen as "Not recognise or corrupted"
    This can happen if the files you put on the USB stick were transferred to the USB stick from an Apple Mac computer. It has been a long-term extreme annoyance to those of us who use multiple computer platforms. Mac OSX randomly generates thousands of tiny duplicate files that it uses internally for housekeeping: these pointer files are invisible when you use the Mac but will often appear when you load a USB stick or data dvd/cd into a standalone player or non-Mac computer.

The only way to delete them is to plug the USB stick into a Linux or Windows PC. The "Organize> Folder And Search" menu of the Windows PC must be set to "View>Advanced Settings>display hidden files and folders". With this option activated, you will be able to see and delete (move to recycle bin aka trash) all the useless "_Song.mp4" files from the USB stick so they no longer appear when you insert the memory stick in a standalone media player or other non-Mac device. Deleting these ghost files will not bother your Mac: the next time you plug the USB stick into a Mac, it will read just fine and Mac OSX will not re-create those same duplicate ghost files. BUT: if you add any new files to the USB stick, the Mac will likely throw in ghost duplicates for some or all of the new additions, and you'd again need to delete those new ghosts the same way if you don't want them to appear in a non-Mac device.

If you NEVER use this memory stick with an Apple Mac computer, there may be another issue causing the "_ghostfiles", but I've personally never experienced this problem except when sourcing files/documents/media from a Mac.
    Last edited by orsetto; 27th Dec 2019 at 12:02.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I moved your post to a new thread.
    Thank you for this

Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    however when display on my tv screen I see the file twice as follow: song1.mp4 and "_song1.mp4" the following is display on screen as "Not recognise or corrupted"
    This can happen if the files you put on the USB stick were transferred to the USB stick from an Apple Mac computer. It has been a long-term extreme annoyance to those of us who use multiple computer platforms. Mac OSX randomly generates thousands of tiny duplicate files that it uses internally for housekeeping: these pointer files are invisible when you use the Mac but will often appear when you load a USB stick or data dvd/cd into a standalone player or non-Mac computer.

The only way to delete them is to plug the USB stick into a Linux or Windows PC. The "Organize> Folder And Search" menu of the Windows PC must be set to "View>Advanced Settings>display hidden files and folders". With this option activated, you will be able to see and delete (move to recycle bin aka trash) all the useless "_Song.mp4" files from the USB stick so they no longer appear when you insert the memory stick in a standalone media player or other non-Mac device. Deleting these ghost files will not bother your Mac: the next time you plug the USB stick into a Mac, it will read just fine and Mac OSX will not re-create those same duplicate ghost files. BUT: if you add any new files to the USB stick, the Mac will likely throw in ghost duplicates for some or all of the new additions, and you'd again need to delete those new ghosts the same way if you don't want them to appear in a non-Mac device.

If you NEVER use this memory stick with an Apple Mac computer, there may be another issue causing the "_ghostfiles", but I've personally never experienced this problem except when sourcing files/documents/media from a Mac.
    Much appreciated regarding your explanation, I will follow your directive and give an update if it indeed works. Like you suggested, files where on a windows system original then got transfert to a Mac computer for work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you discover the problem is definitely caused by Mac OSX "ghost files", it can be tedious to delete them one by one if there are dozens or hundreds on the USB stick. You can delete all of them more quickly by opening the main window of the USB stick, then entering "._" (without the quote marks) in the search box of the USB window. Wait a moment, and a list of all the ghost files should appear in the window. Pres CTRL+A to select all of them, then right click mouse>delete to remove them all at once.

Your Sony player may display these duplicate files with only a _ in front, but Mac OSX actually puts a period in front of the _ so the files you want to get rid of should all begin with "._" You might also see a few ghost files named ".DS_Store": these don't usually appear with media players but will be visible on Windows computers. Mac OSX only generates one or two of these for each folder you copy to a USB stick, so they should be easy to manually find and delete. Deleting them might lose any custom icon arrangement you set up for those folders when viewed in Mac Finder's icon view mode: if they don't appear thru your Sony and don't bother you in Windows, you might want to just leave them in place. If you never bother with icon view in the Mac Finder, and always view Mac folder contents as file lists, you can just delete those .DS_Store files in Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have indeed .DS that appear and I don't care that much regarding the icon view as I just need the file to be played for customer view (it is for my shop as entertainment)
    As i'm normally a windows, I knew Apple and Windows were in conflict but after so many years those two company exist those simple thing should have been avoided/adapted automatically by now
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    If you discover the problem is definitely caused by Mac OSX "ghost files", it can be tedious to delete them one by one if there are dozens or hundreds on the USB stick. You can delete all of them more quickly by opening the main window of the USB stick, then entering "._" (without the quote marks) in the search box of the USB window. Wait a moment, and a list of all the ghost files should appear in the window. Pres CTRL+A to select all of them, then right click mouse>delete to remove them all at once.

Your Sony player may display these duplicate files with only a _ in front, but Mac OSX actually puts a period in front of the _ so the files you want to get rid of should all begin with "._" You might also see a few ghost files named ".DS_Store": these don't usually appear with media players but will be visible on Windows computers. Mac OSX only generates one or two of these for each folder you copy to a USB stick, so they should be easy to manually find and delete. Deleting them might lose any custom icon arrangement you set up for those folders when viewed in Mac Finder's icon view mode: if they don't appear thru your Sony and don't bother you in Windows, you might want to just leave them in place. If you never bother with icon view in the Mac Finder, and always view Mac folder contents as file lists, you can just delete those .DS_Store files in Windows.

It work perfectly fine. Thank you very much
    Quote Quote