VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello I'm a Newbie here. I have been Recording My Desktop for a few years now. I first used FFSplit but now I have found OCam which is a Great Free Screen Recorder. I just want to know what the Best Settings are for the Smallest Size output with the best quality combination? There are so many Settings. I guess you would have to Download OCam Free Soft & look at it yourself to let me know. I record 1080p streaming videos to watch them later. Any Help will be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks so much.

The Setting I have it on are:
    Full Screen
    MKV Intel Quick Sync H.264
    Const Quantizer Parameter set on 22 out of 51
    Constant Frame Rate, 30 fps
    Keyframe Rate 5
    Decoder Resolution Compatibility Width Multiple Of 8, Height Is Multiple Of 4
    Sound Stereo Channel 1 + 2

A 1 Hour Recording is about 750 MB Total for 1080p Streaming Video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 5 frame GOPs is too short and will increase your file size by quite a bit. Shoot for 1 or 2 second GOPs, 30 to 60 frames at 30 fps.

Consider OBS. It's free and open source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OBS was the First one that I Tried out. It was good but the Video Quality just wasn't there for me. I was Recording 1080p & after I watched it it was like less than 720p. The Video was all Pix-elated even at the Highest Settings. That was about a year ago but Maybe It's better now though. Thanks for the Info for the GOP's.

OCam is the Best that I've Tried so Far & I've tried about 3 Dozen Streaming Video Recorders Free & Trial Versions. I just wanted to know the Best Settings for the Lowest File Size while getting as close to 1080p as Possible. Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my book, your question is impossible to answer.

What is known is that file size is determined by bitrate even when you have an encoding setting that does not permit you to set it. You can see the actual video bitrate by running the clip through mediainfo.

Why is the question impossible to answer ? Because for the video you have recorded it may be fine yet for a different type of video the relatively low bit rate < 2000 kbps could return you to that pixilation you saw before.

Others can answer this better than I can but the shorter GOPS could be the compensation factor for the bitrate or more I-frames than the h264 codec would typically have. It may be that the program needs to run like this since encoding is cpu-intensive and this is all being done in real time. You would inevitably get better quality recording in a high-bitrate lossless codec and later re-compress experimenting with various settings to match the type of video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MadMaxnightRider View Post
    OBS was the First one that I Tried out. It was good but the Video Quality just wasn't there for me. I was Recording 1080p & after I watched it it was like less than 720p. The Video was all Pix-elated even at the Highest Settings. That was about a year ago but Maybe It's better now though. Thanks for the Info for the GOP's.

OCam is the Best that I've Tried so Far & I've tried about 3 Dozen Streaming Video Recorders Free & Trial Versions.
    Most of them probably used the same encoders so the quality differences you saw were likely due to the settings used, not which program you used.

Originally Posted by MadMaxnightRider View Post
    I just wanted to know the Best Settings for the Lowest File Size while getting as close to 1080p as Possible. Thanks so much.
    You were using QS h.264 encoding with a constant quantizer of 22. That fact that that delivered such a small file (especially since it includes audio) indicates you were recording a fairly still picture, probably a desktop app, not high action gaming. In any case, switching to a GOP size of 30 will give you nearly the same quality at a significantly smaller file. Five frame GOPs is very short and is usually used when you want video that's very easily edited, especially for simple lossless editing (cutting only on I keyframes).

Using a lower quantizer will give you higher quality and a larger file. A higher quantizer will give lower quality and a smaller file. QS has lots of other settings and you didn't mention them so one can't suggest what else you might change. If you have a more recent Intel processor you can use QS h.265 encoding to get higher quality per file size.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for all the Helpful Info. I really appreciate it very much. OCam Software Doesn't have H.265 Encoding. It just has H.264 Settings.

There are 2 Encoder Settings:

Intel QS Video H.264 OR Open H.264
    With Rate Control 1-PASS Constant QP For Both

As far as Codecs I figure that MKV would have the Best Video Quality but that is just a Guess. I have tried both MP4 & MKV with the Same Settings & MKV seems to be better Picture Quality every time. I Don't know much about all of this.

There is another Codec Setting that is ISO MPEG-4 STANDARD with AAC or FLAC or MP3.

There is also an Auto Select Feature that Selects Open H.264 + AAC (.MP4)

There are MP4 MKV M4V MOV WMV FLV AVI TS or VOB

My Laptop:

I have an older Toshiba Satellite Laptop that is about 6 years old.

It has Intel Core i7 2.4 ghz 8 GB RAM 700 GB HD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MadMaxnightRider View Post
    Intel QS Video H.264 OR Open H.264
    Intel QS doesn't deliver the best possible quality per file size. I don't know if Open h.264 would be any better, I've never used it. But since it's CPU based it may not work (for realtime encoding) well on your old laptop.

With Rate Control 1-PASS Constant QP For Both
    No other settings? An Advanced button/tab maybe?

As far as Codecs I figure that MKV would have the Best Video Quality... There are MP4 MKV M4V MOV WMV FLV AVI TS or VOB
    Those are all containers, logical "boxes" that organize and contain audio and video. The container doesn't determine the quality of what's inside (except that some containers are limited to certain codecs and those codecs may be of lower quality). The codecs and codec settings used determine the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. https://download.cnet.com/oCam/3000-13633_4-75758209.html

There are other Settings. I just don't Understand them. It does have a Game Recording Option vs The Screen Recording Option that I have been Using. I wonder if the Game Recording would be Better for Recording Videos that have Fast Action Scenes in them or for any Videos Period.

On the Game Recording Option the Auto Select Codec is Different from the Screen Recording Auto Select Codec that it Automatically Picks out. The Game Recording Codec Auto Option is set at ISO MPEG-4 + AAC (.MP4) & The Screen Recording Auto Select picks out Open.H264 + AAC (.MP4).

No the Game has Different Settings than the General Settings.

The Game Settings have
    Show FPS Overlay
    Calculate FPS Interval Millisecond
    Round Mode UP DOWN OR ROUND
    FPS Limit
    FPS

Then There is a Resize Setting
    Resize A Video
    Resolution Many Options
    Quality Very Low Low Medium OR Fast
    MODE Consuming CPU Cycles OR Yield The CPU
    Limit FPS When Recording

General Settings
    Decoder Resolution Compatibility:
    Width Multiple of 8, Height is Multiple of 4 OR Width, Height are Multiple of 2 OR Width, Height are Multiple of 16

On The Encoder Settings there are just Const Quantizer Parameter From 1 High Quality to 51 Low Quality & ONLY ONE SETTING FOR Rate Control 1-PASS Constant QP & THAT'S IT.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I was using FFSplit but It couldn't Record in 1080p Because it would Record Jerky instead of Smooth Video but with OCam the Video is smooth & It Let's me Record with 1080p. Is there any Difference in Quality in a MP4 or a MKV Video. I can tell a Difference in AVI Video. It seems that AVI or WMV Videos seem to be the Absolute Worst Video Quality. This is just my Observation. I guess it Depends on the Codecs & the Encoding? I don't Understand that much about Video Stuff. I just Use the Software the best I can. I am not a Computer Genius. I am General Knowledge Guy that Knows just enough to get by on the Internet without looking really stupid. I just look Semi-Stupid.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There are also Performance Settings:

Encoding:
    Using Multi Cores USED OR NOT USED

Screen Recording:
    Capture Method Desktop Duplication API (FAST) OR GDI API

Game Recording:
    Stage Of Pipeline:
    3-Stage (Good Performance) OR 2-Stage (Normal) OR No Pipeline (Slow)
    Quote Quote  
  11. So In Your Opinion, What is the Best Free Streaming Video Recording Software for something like a 1080p Action Movie?

Just trying to get like a 2-Hour Movie that is close to 1080p but better than 720p that is like around 3 GB.

Doesn't have to have Blu-Ray Quality or 5-Channel Surround. I just want Stereo 2-Channel Audio that is like 192 kbps Quality.

What would the Best Video Bitrate that would keep the File to a Decent Small size?

Been Using FFSplit Software & the Settings Are:

Settings are 30 FPS using MP4, 4,000 Video Bitrate, Using Constant BitRate, Using H.264.

Right Now I can get a 720p Quality Recording with all of these Setting to 3 GB.

It seems that when I put it on 1080p Resolution to Record after about 5 or 10 Minutes of Recording the Video gets Jerky instead of Smooth. What could be causing this? Maybe my Processor is not Fast Enough. I have about a 6 year old Toshiba with 8 GB - 750 GB - 2.4 GHZ - Intel Core i7.

Also what does this Setting mean:

Encode Present with settings from Medium to UltraFast & Default?

Should I Use CBR or VBR?

I have been using CBR all of this time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. A 2 hour, 1080p, 24 fps, action movie in 3 GB with h.264 encoding isn't a realistic goal if you're looking for quality. You'll need 2x or 3x that size to get decent quality. Such a movie on a blu-ray disc is normally around 10 times that size. Using h.265 encoding will look better but the encoding may be too CPU intensive for real time capture.

Use the slowest preset you can without getting jerky video. The slower the preset the better the quality (generally).

Never use CBR encoding. There's no reason to waste bits on shots that don't need it. Using fewer bits on those shots leaves more available for shots that really need it.
    Last edited by jagabo; 31st Dec 2019 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Best screen recorder has already been told to you: OBS.
    If you are not getting best quality out of it, it's on you & your settings. So first learn more about basics of video & compression, and then when you read the manual/docs for OBS, you won't be as in the dark.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Alright Thanks so much for all the Info Guys. Will Do
    Quote Quote