VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the past I have used a Canopus ADVC-110 to capture Hi-8 and VHS material using WinDV. It always has worked flawlessly. Recently (after several years of not doing any) I tried to capture a VHS tape. During the entire length of the capture, the content showed in the preview window of WinDV as expected. Upon playback, the content showed fine for 15 or 20 minutes, then changed to a static picture of a bunch of colored squares, which remained for the remainder of the capture. Same result when trying a second source tape. Any idea what this could be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. False Macrovision response?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Failing hard drive? FAT file system limitation? A short in the firewire cable?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    some windv quirks - needs to be run as admin, needs to be installed somewhere other than in a crogram files folder. discontinuity threshold should be set to "0", or it sometimes gets "stuck". set max avi size to 1000000.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check the vcr to see if it was working such as not needing a cleaning?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't have a proper workflow.
    any old VCR > DV box will yield low quality, often uncapturable and unviewable video.

What you're experiencing is not unexpected.

All the suggestions about corrupt HDD, WinDV settings, dirty VCR, etc, is unlikely to change this. Those are far less likely than simply having a quality chain of hardware to create a proper workflow for VHS and Hi8 capture.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all for taking time to respond. Max AVI setting is high enough, discontinuity is 0, hard drive is okay, etc. I'm still not sure why this is happening. Like clockwork, it craps out just short of 20 minutes into the capture. Lordsmurf, I'm not sure I understand your comment regarding proper workflow. The fact that the capture fails at almost the exact same time point in the capture is what I find most peculiar, and would seem to weigh against this being a hardware issue. I have used the Canopus and WinDV to capture analog video many times in the past without incident and with acceptable results. This problem came out of nowhere.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It still sounds like false Macrovision detection to me. Some timing irregularity on the tape is interpreted to be Macrovision and the device intentionally messes up the picture. Try to start recording a minute or so after the irregularity.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Dec 2019 at 10:57.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds reasonable, but I have tried three different tapes and this issue happens around 18 or 19 minutes into the capture on all of them. Plus, I have (I think) set the ADVC-110 to ignore Macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 18-19 minutes of DV is remarkably close to 4GB. Have you definitely ruled out a maximum filesize problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dying advc? sounding more like a hardware problem.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr Chris View Post
    18-19 minutes of DV is remarkably close to 4GB. Have you definitely ruled out a maximum filesize problem?
    easy enough to tell. does the files stop at 4GB? or is it normal 13GB/hr in size.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It still sounds like false Macrovision detection to me. Some timing irregularity on the tape is interpreted to be Macrovision and the device intentionally messes up the picture. Try to start recording a minute or so after the irregularity.
    Macrovision should be a problem much earlier than over 19 minutes....
    So..... which file system do you use, eclipse95 ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Turns out the problem was not in the capture, but the playback. When I played it back in WMP and Corel VideoStudio it was fine. For some reason VLC was crapping out after 18-19 minutes. Thanks to all for the responses, though.
    Quote Quote