VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a big job to do.
    I found my old collection of decrypted DVDs with certain tv show. Literally 88 .iso images. On each image there are 3 episodes, with 3 audio tracks and subtitles.
    I want best possible quality, only one audio track and no subtitles. Keeping chapters also would be nice. Obviously it's important to set some automatic filenaming. There's no info on DVD about titles, they're literally just TITLE 1, TITLE 2, TITLE 3.
    I don't know if it matters but they're
    RESOLUTiON.......: 720 x 576
    FRAMERATE........: 25.000 FPS
    Can be H.265 but preferably H.264.
    I think VidCoder could do it, but I can't do it without help.
    I have a not so old PC with i7-7700, 16GB RAM and GTX1080 so there are Intel QuickSync and NVidia CUDA.

Many thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best possible quality means remuxing (placing the video file into another container like .mkv) and not encoding to another format like h.264 or H.265 which will always result in some quality loss. MakeMKV (you can remove unwanted audio and subtitles) is recommended to remux which should take less than 5-10 minutes per disc. You can't rename the files directly with MakeMKV, but you can use Lupas Rename to batch and number the files.

Not only will remuxing retain all the quality of the original file, but it's significantly faster than encoding. Also, IMO the space and cost savings by encoding is trivial. 88 DVD-9s = 704GB. If you shrink the file by 50%, you've saved 350GB. Even if you're not the U.S. where hard drives are going for $<$20 - $40/TB, you're looking at a savings of <$20 by encoding to a smaller format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your job is big, but I've done 100+ episode (Asian series) remuxes and renaming projects a number of times. You've already done the most time consuming part, ripping the DVDs, so remuxing will be much quicker. I just did a remux test on a DVD-9 .iso with 9 episodes and it took less than 2 minutes to complete with MakeMKV. Add a couple of minutes to choose the audio and subtitle plus batch renaming and the entire process was less than 5 minutes.

Edit: FYI, one of the nice things about remuxing vs encoding is that the speed isn't bottlenecked by the CPU. About a month ago I did test for a thread on this forum. I ripped the same Blu-Ray on two vastly different systems, An i7 tower and an A6 AMD laptop and remux times were virtually the same, ~40 minutes on both systems. A DVD took ~10 min.
    Last edited by lingyi; 25th Dec 2019 at 16:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would look at a batch job using mkvmerge. The batch job would depend on how the DVD is authored. If the three titles each is in a titleset it's pretty strait forward as the appending of more VOB files is automatically ,eg

mkvmerge -o iso2_out3.mkv G:\VIDEO_TS\vts_03_1.vob

would append all VOB files in vts03 in case there is more than one.

If the three titles are in the same titleset you'll need to split the file.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvmerge.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another advantage to remuxing using MakeMKV is that you can easily run multiple sessions at once. Especially easy since you have the .iso(s) on your hard drive already. I just did an experiment on my system with 32GB RAM and could barely keep up with four instances of MakeMKV running. By the time I loaded the fourth .iso into MakeMKV, the first instance was done!

There is an issue with doing it this way. The default filename for MakeMKV is Title01, Title02, etc and you have to be careful not to overwrite the previous file. To prevent this, setup a series of new sequentially numbered folders and point your output there. So you'll have Folder 1 with Title01, Title2, Title03, Folder 2 with Title01, Title2, Title03,
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank y'all but this process (remuxing?) is going very fast, and renaming is the biggest pain in the @$$.

Isn't there a tool that'll on-the-fly rename files? Based on date of creation/modification, or title of dvd image file (i named them DVD01.ISO, DVD02.ISO etc...). Now I don't really care about seasons and episodes, it could be literally 001, 002 etc...

Many thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should probably rip all the files to their own folder (each dvd have it's own folder?) and then bulk rename them. You can use something like Bulk Rename Utility to batch append the folder names to the files within the folders as a prefix/suffix/whatever you want.
    Quote Quote