VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a source that is unlike any other I have seen before. MeGui is claiming this is progressive, and MediInfo is claiming it's interlaced. I have not seen a 29.970fps progressive source. Usually progressive ends up 23.976fps.

Anyways, even if it is or isn't, there are some artifacts that resemble horrible aliasing and even when I try something like TIVTC, they do not get fixed. Backgrounds seem fine, but anything in the animation that's moving is not. Antialiasers like santiag do not seem to have much of an effect on it, though it does seem to very slightly reduce visiblilty of them.

Here is a sample from the source.
    https://mega.nz/#!MogQGShC!syXT4yVP_W3eVbUDXQYp2eQck_4mbGzAzdHW2Z9Whho

Whats up with those leftover artifacts on line? Is this interlaced or not, and if so, how can I fix those?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 21st Dec 2019 at 12:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not at a video editing computer now, but you can always tell for yourself whether video is interlaced (the flag actually means nothing and is sometimes wrong).

I do the following test EVERY TIME I first look at a video from someone else.

Simple use a two-line AVISynth script:

assumeTFF()
    separatefields()

Open this script and then walk through the video field-by-field. If the video is progressive, you will see no motion between each pair of fields (you'll see a slight up/down motion because the fields are spatially separated, but you'll see zero horizontal motion). With interlaced video, you'll see horizontal motion between every single field. With telecined video [note: telecined is NOT the same thing as interlaced!!] you'll see more than two fields with no horizontal motion, but the number of fields which come from the same moment in time will change, usually in a pattern that repeats itself.

If you see funky back and forth motion, then the field order has to be changed with the Assume() function. In my example it is set for top field first, which is how most (not all) modern video and film is encoded. You must get this correct, not just for this exercise, but for any further processing you do. Failure to get this correct will screw up everything else you do to the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The video is encoded interlaced but the frame content is progressive. It was originally interlaced but has been through a mediocre deinterlacer leaving behind some aliasing artifacts. A quick test shows that Santiag(strh=3).QTGMC(InputType=2) cleans up the aliasing fairly well. It does leave a little ghosing now and then.
    Quote Quote