VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking for a program where you can join one (or part of one) video to another (or part of another) without re-encoding the whole thing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The description for SmartCutter Ps/Ts indicates that it is able to join video in addition to editing video.

What is happening? If the segments to be joined were taken from different files and they are too dissimilar to each other in one way or another then any smart editor will completely re-encode some of the pieces being joined. Are you saying that SmartCutter Ps/Ts always re-encodes, even when joining segments that were cut from the same file or have identical properties? That would be unexpected behavior.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The description for SmartCutter Ps/Ts indicates that it is able to join video in addition to editing video.

What is happening? If the segments to be joined were taken from different files and they are too dissimilar to each other in one way or another then any smart editor will completely re-encode some of the pieces being joined. Are you saying that SmartCutter Ps/Ts always re-encodes, even when joining segments that were cut from the same file or have identical properties? That would be unexpected behavior.
    I don't see a way to join files with the program. Where is it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 90sTV View Post

I hadn't tried Smart Cutter Ps/Ts so it took me a little time to figure out how to join files. It turns out joining is done using batch list. The discussion of batch processing at https://fame-ring.com/without.re-encoding.html gave me the clues I needed to use Smart Cutter Ps/Ts to join some clips. I used pieces taken from just one movie to test, so I don't know exactly what happens when dissimilar clips are joined.

1. Open each clip to be joined in Smart Cutter Ps/Ts in order and use the "add batch" button to add the clip to the batch list in the order that they are to be joined.
    2. Clink on the "link" button.
    3. Press the "Start Batch" button to begin transcoding and joining.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM

I hadn't tried Smart Cutter Ps/Ts so it took me a little time to figure out how to join files. It turns out joining is done using batch list. The discussion of batch processing at https://fame-ring.com/without.re-encoding.html gave me the clues I needed to use Smart Cutter Ps/Ts to join some clips. I used pieces taken from just one movie to test, so I don't know exactly what happens when dissimilar clips are joined.

1. Open each clip to be joined in Smart Cutter Ps/Ts in order and use the "add batch" button to add the clip to the batch list in the order that they are to be joined.
    2. Clink on the "link" button.
    3. Press the "Start Batch" button to begin transcoding and joining.

Thanks, that seems to work.

What's the deal with "Whole GOP Mode" in Options? "GOP cut or frame accurate cut." And I guess when it's in yellow that means it's on?

I experimented with clicking it (so the box is yellow) and didn't notice any difference in the time when going forward and backwards with frames. Each frame displayed remained about .034 seconds apart.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by 90sTV View Post
    What's the deal with "Whole GOP Mode" in Options? "GOP cut or frame accurate cut." And I guess when it's in yellow that means it's on?

I experimented with clicking it (so the box is yellow) and didn't notice any difference in the time when going forward and backwards with frames. Each frame displayed remained about .034 seconds apart.

I don't use this program, but "GOP cut" would imply "cutting on keyframes" , so nothing would be re-encoded. But it's not necessarily frame accurate. It depends on where you mark the cuts

Frame accurate cut means there is some re-encoding of frames around the cutsite in affected GOP's . So some quality loss on some frames, but GOP's of unaffected sections should be passed through untouched

At least that's how other software work, such as videoredo, solveigmm video splitter

The frame display time per frame should not change in any of these types of programs , because the frame rate should be the same
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

I don't use this program, but "GOP cut" would imply "cutting on keyframes" , so nothing would be re-encoded. But it's not necessarily frame accurate. It depends on where you mark the cuts

Frame accurate cut means there is some re-encoding of frames around the cutsite in affected GOP's . So some quality loss on some frames, but GOP's of unaffected sections should be passed through untouched

At least that's how other software work, such as videoredo, solveigmm video splitter

The frame display time per frame should not change in any of these types of programs , because the frame rate should be the same
    Regarding re-encoding GOPs around the cut point...I read somewhere that NTSC GOPs are usually 15 frames, so would this mean that if you placed a cut in the middle of a GOP, say, 7 frames into that, and removed the rest of the video after that, only those last 7 frames would be re-encoded? Or if you removed a portion at the beginning, and that cut was 7 frames into a GOP, only the first 8 frames of the resulting video would need to be re-encoded?

I think I read someone say somewhere else that multiple GOPs have to be re-encoded even with smart cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by 90sTV View Post

Regarding re-encoding GOPs around the cut point...I read somewhere that NTSC GOPs are usually 15 frames, so would this mean that if you placed a cut in the middle of a GOP, say, 7 frames into that, and removed the rest of the video after that, only those last 7 frames would be re-encoded? Or if you removed a portion at the beginning, and that cut was 7 frames into a GOP, only the first 8 frames of the resulting video would need to be re-encoded?
    Maybe.

It depends if there were references or not to other frames in the GOP (or other GOP's if they are "open"). Also, the coded frame order does not always coincide with the display frame order

Sometimes it does not need to be re-encoded if there were no references to the discarded frames. But some software might re-encode affected frames in the GOP anyway if there is a cut

I think I read someone say somewhere else that multiple GOPs have to be re-encoded even with smart cutting.
    It depends on what you have.

Not if they are closed GOPs . Closed GOP's by definition are discrete sections - they cannot reference anything from other GOP's

If they are open GOP's then they might rely on data from previous GOP. Then anything that references another frame needs to be re-encoded

You can run some tests and verify what some software is doing by checking for differences (e.g. one way in a video editor is use "difference" mode, and place them on top of each other, then you can "see" which frames have changed)
    Quote Quote