VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am currently working on transferring a set of mini-dv tapes.

The problem with these tapes is that I need to clean the head of my minidv player after several minutes playing.
    There is apparently some (not visible) dirt on the tapes.

I think i can solve this by cleaning these tapes. But are there any cleaning machines for mini-dv tapes on the market?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is a coating on the tape of either liquid or dry lubricant. i'd try cleaning the heads then doing all the tapes of each brand together so the same lube is used consecutively.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by VideoEdwin View Post
    I am currently working on transferring a set of mini-dv tapes.

The problem with these tapes is that I need to clean the head of my minidv player after several minutes playing.
    There is apparently some (not visible) dirt on the tapes.

I think i can solve this by cleaning these tapes. But are there any cleaning machines for mini-dv tapes on the market?
    What makes you suspect that the problem is a dirty head? What, exactly, is happening?

I only know of two ways to clean mini-DV tape heads in a camcorder or deck: have them professionally cleaned, or use a dry cleaning tape. Sony used to make these for their camcorders, so I always figured they were "safe" to use. Having said that, most people in this forum generally frown on using cleaning tapes, because if over-used they might damage the heads. I don't know if that's true and I've never seen any actual evidence that it is true.

What IS true is that if you attempt to manually get into that little space and try to clean the heads with a moistened swab, you will almost certainly damage things. Resist that temptation.

As for cleaning the tapes themselves, I have never heard of anyone doing that, or even having the need to do it with DV tapes, unless the tapes were subject to a flooding event or something similar. You will find, in this forum, several discussions of massive mold on VHS tapes and what to do about that. There is no good solution to that one.
    Quote Quote