VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have youtube-dl installed in a directory on C: /youtubedl.

It is new. I just downloaded it and copied it into there.

I use powershell and navigate to that directory and issue a command: youtube-dl -U

and I get that message: that it looks like I installed with a package manager or something. But I didn't.

But I could have in the past. I used that graphic interface thing for a while YTDL downloader.

But this is new. Done today.

And I have this directory (C:\youtubedl) in the System env vars path and my user env vars path. And moved up to the top of the list..

Is something wrong?

How can I check the path to the particular instance of youtube-dl.exe that it being run when I issue the command?
    Last edited by abrogard; 11th Dec 2019 at 14:00.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try: in the Task Manager right-click on the process and go to the file path.

Otherwise try:
    Code:
    where youtube-dl.exe
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/where_1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    C: /youtubedl
    This can't be right on Windows though..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I found it. In the 'Details' of Task Manager. It was using the file in the c:\youtube directory even when powershell was in the c:\windows\system32 directory. So that's all as should be. Because that instance is in the PATH listing at the top of all, should be the first one run.

My powershell won't respond to the 'where' command. Doesn't object to it, just does nothing.

The problem has gone away. I don't know why. I run the update command now, just a minute ago, and it told me I was up to date. No error message. Nothing.

So I'm okay for the moment at least but it still leaves me wondering what was wrong, for whenever it comes back again.
    Quote Quote