VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Evening;

This is my first post, yup I'm a noob. I have many MKV files that I'd like to convert to Xvid....I think. I'm trying to save disc space and right now the MKV video files are the same size as the DVD (just over 7Gb each). What open source conversion software is recommended? I'm unfamiliar w/ "conversion software" and after trying (I'd say those programs tried me) a number of programs "out there" (off the net) I realized I need some help. I want an open source program that does NOT leave a watermark nor has time/size limitations. I've looked at a number of "converters", and, so far, the ones I've looked at have all had undesirable traits.

Thank You;

Rick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why xVID ? That is a low-quality/yesterday codec.

You can still compress a 2-hour film down to appr. 1 gb and have reasonable visual quality. A little more work than these one-click converters but it's worth the effort.

Try handbrake or avidemux for starters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. RE: DB83

To answer your question: Want/need to convert MKV to "smaller" size (less than 7+ Gb) So, if you have a method or program that would accomplish "compressing" the MKV file (or DVD) down to a smaller size file with reasonable quality, I'm willing to listen.

Rick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake 9.5 was the last to support Xvid in an AVI. There's also Megui that supports Xvid in AVI, you just have to update Megui inside the program to download xvid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
    RE: DB83

To answer your question: Want/need to convert MKV to "smaller" size (less than 7+ Gb) So, if you have a method or program that would accomplish "compressing" the MKV file (or DVD) down to a smaller size file with reasonable quality, I'm willing to listen.

Rick
    Well I already suggested two and you will now read that xVID is not supported in later versions.

The legacy program to create an xVID from a dvd (mkv will not be supported) is GordianKnot or the simpler autogk (auto GordianKnot)

File size is all about bitrate. The smaller the bitrate the smaller the file. But xVID is not an efficient compressor so bitrate must be bigger than AVC (h264)
    Quote Quote  
  6. RE: DB83

Duly noted and I'm trying HandBrake as we speak. Perhaps I should've stated my query this way; I have a number of MKV files and DVD's that I'd like to convert to a format that is smaller than MKV but yet retain as much quality as possible. The MKV file is the same as the DVD (7+ Gb's) and I know I can get a quality product that requires less space/ file size. Could you recommend a program that could convert both the files and DVD's to something smaller than MKV? Most of these "files" are not music videos, or even music, so the audio doesn't have to be of such great quality.

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mkv is just a container,xvid can be in a mkv,doesn't mean it will be bigger,H.264 is the codec file in a mkv that will give you a smaller file size than xvid with the same quality,going back to xvid is going backwards.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. EVERYONE: Just tried HandBrake to rip DVD to AVI. Horrible!!! Pixelated, choppy and not suitable to watch. There's got to be something better than HandBrake!!! Tried to use avidemux and it wouldn't "open" after install. This isn't going well???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Vidcoder and convert to mp4 - make sure you look at all the presets available versus size and quality.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. REply to johns0

"Super Moderator", huh? Like to explain that? Anyways...you didn't answer my question. EVERYONE, perhaps I should've worded my query differently (??) Let's try this; I have a number of DVD's and MKV files that I'd like to reduce the "file size". I'm soliciting recommendations for a suitable, over-all smaller format size and a software program that can accomplish a "conversion" to the desired format.... 7+Gb each file to a smaller byte size while maintaining good quality.

TY
    Last edited by Rixter; 10th Dec 2019 at 19:42.
    Quote Quote  
  11. RE: netmask56

As I'm relatively new to this, could you give me a few 'tips" on what might be the desirable settings?

TY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you open up the 3rd menu item 'encoder settings' it is a drop down menu with pretty extensive settings for a whole range of quality. Really self evident and best for you to experiment and try what suits you. "Desirable settings" is in the eye of the beholder and what suits your equipment and needs. I have heaps of storage so I rarely compress files as I prefer the absolute best quality. But then I have done work for a client who is basically pragmatic and wants a small file "and do the best you can with quality". So the best advice is really to try a few of the settings. Remember when you compress to reduce the file size the quality always goes down but subjectively some settings give better results. Good luck in you venture...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EVERYONE: Just tried HandBrake to rip DVD to AVI. Horrible!!! Pixelated, choppy and not suitable to watch. There's got to be something better than HandBrake!!! Tried to use avidemux and it wouldn't "open" after install. This isn't going well???
    Your dvd is encrypted. When you use MakeMKV it removes the encryption. If you merely copy the files/folders from the dvd to your HDD (or even attempt) to convert direct from the disk) you will get that pixelated rubbish you see. Virtually all, certainly all commercial, dvds must be properly ripped to your HDD first before using the programs suggest. Same applies for others.

Handbrake is NOT a ripper. Do not be fooled by this modern term 'DVD-RIP'. That is an encode/conversion. A DVD-RIP just transfers the folders/files to your HDD and removes the encryption. MakeMKV acts like a ripper.

Some rippers will also convert but you have to pay for these. For dvd-rippers look at the software section or simply do a forum search.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RE: netmask56

Thanx for replying. I saw that "3rd menu" but as I didn't know what settings to use, I backed away. Yes, I need to do some "learning" about what settings to use, what works best for what I want to accomplish. I've D/l'ed a number of videos and got many that were Xvid or Divx.. and those were of good quality; thus my referring to that format for use. And, as DB83 commented, I was fooled by HandBrake. OK, 'desirable settings" is arbitrary and I understand that. I want to reduce the 7+Gb size of the MKV file, as I stated, and am certain there's a way to do so without a drastic degradation in quality. So, I guess what I need to do is acquire a program that will 'rip" a DVD and be able to re-format/convert the MKV files that I have. Well, back to burning up the "net". I'll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully, I'll get some more good advice.

RE: DB83: Yes, what a mess HandBrake turned out to be. Ahm..little correction...the DVD was not encrypted, at least in the sense to prevent piracy. The MKV format (the files I have) played as it should...i.e. excellently! But, as I learned, I used the wrong program to convert those files. Back to the 'drawing board! THNX
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really am struggling here.

Read through the forum and you will find tons of posts about Handbrake. And I am not suggesting this blindly having used it myself. Not from dvd-vobs but from mpeg2 etc. And I am sure it will be one of the programs used for the so-called 'dvd-rips' that flood the www.

If your dvd is not encrypted then the only possible reason for this 'pixelation' can be bitrate. A 7 gb dvd/mkv will have a bitrate of some 5500 kb/s but you can quickly check that yourself using mediainfo.

Just like megui, which I have never used, yet both are quite similar (and unless I confuse with something else both use the same engine) there are various presets but you are not commited to them. As already pointed out bitrate determined both quality and size. There are bitrate calculators that can assist you to determine the bitrate for a target file size.

I also do not understand why avidemux would not install. Unless you tried to install the 64bit version on a 32bit system.

But what about autogk which is the simplest out there.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way to get started with Vidcoder/Handbrake is to select the "mediium" or "fast" preset and then set CRF 20.
    Everything else in the x264 settings leave to default. Both Vidcoder and Handbrake attempt to set automatic crop
    and it seems to work pretty well. I'm also struggling with this thread also, seems like an exercise in confusion and
    false assumptions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just rebox it use Rebox and switch containers to preserve quality, but if you insist on encoding use something like free Leapic Media Converter. It handles anything as input apart from h265(Super Simple Converter 2015 can handle that!) and you can manually crop too in Leapic tool, or tweak it a bit to do a fine job. Both work well in Win10 by the way, but I would just rebox. Handbrake is appalling quality for avi and very dated. Rebox.NET is here on this site.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/rebox.NET
    http://www.leapic.com/media-converter.htm
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/BOX4
    http://gromada.com/video_converter/
    Last edited by azmoth; 12th Dec 2019 at 12:37.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Vidcoder has a preview function where it encodes a small segment of your video file with the settings you have chosen, then you watch that clip and see if it is good enough for your liking. DVDs are 480p. CRF 20 does a good job quality wise I find. I like CRF because it gives you the encoding quality you need for action scenes and it uses less for less active scenes. You need to analize with MediaInfo exactly what the specs are for your mkv files. Take the time to learn how to manuever around in VidCoder settings, once you have figured out the settings you need you can save that as a Preset. I have a Preset for Full Screen and one for WideScreen. H264 encodes are relatively quick depending on your Computer Specs; hopefully you have an i5 chip or better. I watch my encodes on a small screen so I am happy with 360p or 360i. H265 takes longer to encode; I find about three times longer but you can get even smaller file sizes and fairly good quality as well. Vidcoder is pretty handy because once you have figured out your presets, if you have a lot of mkv files with the same specs you can batch encode.

One thing I learned is CF method is really the best. You don't want a bunch of pixilated action scenes from choosing an inadequate bit rate or bloated file sizes from overkill settings.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 13th Dec 2019 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 69Rixter View Post
    RE: netmask56

... . I've D/l'ed a number of videos and got many that were Xvid or Divx.. and those were of good quality; thus my referring to that format for use.
    They were all fairly small files when divx/xvid was the standard because of a lack of storage space/bandwidth at the time. But AVC or HEVC would give you MUCH better results in the same size.

I was fooled by HandBrake.
    All programs fool you if you don't read the docs.

There is no magic video encoder. It's a complex subject and hard to simplify. You can\'t expect users to give you all purpose settings that don't exist. Try presets/tunes.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EVERYONE:

Wow, what great feedback. Tons of good info and suggestions. I'll say this: "For what I want to do...Handbrake SUX." I've used a number of programs and think I'm learning a bit with each one. I'd like to say something that may put my question a bit more in perspective. For a number of years now, I've D/l'ed many a video from torrents. In doing that, I've watched quite a few good quality (video) movie/docs that were coded in DivX/XviD. They are/were considerably "smaller" in size (avg. movie...700+Mb to 1.3Gb) What I want to accomplish is "shrinking" the overall size of MKV and still maintain good picture/audio quality. I'm just trying to figure out/find out how folks can "rip" a movie to/in XviD/DivX and maintain quality. EXAMPLE: I ripped a DVD in MKV; just over 10Gb's. I would think I could get that to around 3-4Gb's and still maintain good quality.(?) Still open to suggestions and help. Right now, I'm trying VLC and IMO, it's taking an extraordinary amount of time to convert (I'll let you know later about the pic quality). So, anyone wishing to offer their opinions/advice....well...I'm listening

THANX ALL
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    You're using the wrong settings in Handbrake if you're getting a 10GB file from a DVD. Handbrake uses x264 and x265 compression, which is far more efficient than the MPEG-2 on DVD's. You need to adjust the quality settings as you obviously have them way too high. Ridiculously high.

Stop talking about divx/xvid. They're decrepit codecs from yesteryear and no one should be using them at this point. They're obsolete.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Image
    [Attachment 51370 - Click to enlarge]
    EVERYONE: Just tried HandBrake to rip DVD to AVI. Horrible!!! Pixelated, choppy and not suitable to watch. There's got to be something better than HandBrake!!! Tried to use avidemux and it wouldn't "open" after install. This isn't going well???

I ripped a DVD in MKV; just over 10Gb's. I would think I could get that to around 3-4Gb's and still maintain good quality.(?)

Try Handbrake DVD source to MP4 (one of the 720 presets).
    Usually does a very good job here, especially if you have an Intel CPU that supports Quicksync (video tab, H.264 QSV, quality 18).

Make sure you match the interlacing based on the source DVD (deinterlace on or off only if present or not).
    (Play the DVD vob video file in Media Player Home Classic, right click on the window, properties menu, and check the last tab for Media Info.)

If you already have encoded movies ripped from old DVDs years ago in XVID/MKV/etc, you might not be able to get a better re-encode due to the noise/artifacts present in those encodes.

Nowadays, people go from Blurays into web downloads (like 360p), so they look great and far better than going from a DVD into a web download type of file. MPEG-2 used in DVDs simply isn't great, and one encode is already breaking the quality noticably. Another re-encode will produce a mess no matter what you try to do. Handbrake, ffmpeg, etc, etc. simply can't do much with older videos.
    Last edited by babygdav; 7th Jan 2020 at 23:32.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TO EVERYONE

Hey All:

After much "experimentation", this is how I'm going about it. Kinda round-about but effective just the same. I "rip" the DVD to MKV, then use VLC to convert to mp4. Really cuts down the size of the MKV file and delivers good/decent video quality. Still checking out various ripping and converting tools, but for now, this is what's working. Seems there must be a good program out there that would do both in one operation???, but as yet haven't found it. OR, this is more likely, I would have to purchase such a program. THANX to all for the help and information.

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  24. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G7cHe93EiXI

Libdvdcss with vlc can do it directly without mkv.
    No guarantees it'll support all encryption methods.
    One that does is the paid anydvd - it runs all the time and automatically decrypts all discs so that any program can access the dvd directly.

Another that decrypts + encodes is dvdfab - one step.

And handbrake + libdvdcss can, too.

That said, if you have a ton to do, much easier to rip a bunch of discs first to hdd, even as iso/vob/mkv, then batch encode. This jets you walk away for hours without having to swap discs several times per hour.

Multiple dvd drives helps speed this up.
    Quote Quote