VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am struggling to copy videos from DVD to Blu-Ray.....

Material: 34 episodes of 1960's TV series (black & white). Image quality - soft but watchable.

Source Media: 33 videos on 6 video DVD-Rs. Each DVD has a simple menu. Total size of all DVDs = 23 GB
    MediaInfo on the 'video' VOBs says 352*288 (4:3) at 25.000 FPS
    No copy protection.

The episodes are currently not sorted correctly by original transmission date and need to be re-sorted.

Target Destination: 6 copies of a BD-R with a simple menu of episode titles. If, for some reason, BD is tricky then I would settle for DVDs.

Software currently available on PC: multiAVCHD (+ associated utilities); imgBurn; DVD Architect; Nero. I will get other software if neccesary.

Notes: 1) I live in PAL-land; 2) I want to avoid re-encoding to keep image quality as far as posible.

Can someone please outline the best steps for me to take in terms of sequence & software.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You will have to re-encode as that resolution is not allowed for Blu ray:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video
    AVCHD is the same:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Specifications
    That resolution is half of DVD stabdard.
    Most people here will tell you to rip the files and reorder them as a playlist on some medium such as a USB stick...
    Quote Quote  
  3. dvd3500, thanks for the response.

Ok, so I will need to re-code for Blu-Ray.

The resolution may be less than DVD standard, but they do play fine in a domestic DVD player. Likewise copy DVDs via imgBurn which keeps the 352*288 resolution, also play fine.

If I rip the source DVD into individual movies on HDD, does that re-encode them? Or would re-encoding be done at the stage of making a Blu-Ray image?

What software would you recommend for ripping the source DVDs?

TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Tim Berlin View Post
    The resolution may be less than DVD standard...
    No, less than the blu-ray standard. They're fine for DVD.
    If I rip the source DVD into individual movies on HDD, does that re-encode them?
    Not if you do it right.
    Or would re-encoding be done at the stage of making a Blu-Ray image?
    If making a true blu-ray out of them, then that's when the reencoding is done.
    What software would you recommend for ripping the source DVDs?
    Ripping is putting the DVDs onto the hard drive, minus any encryption. My guess is DVDDecrypter would do the job fine. You can even split them into episodes at the same time.

I don't think I'd reencode them for blu-ray. If I absolutely had to reorder them and stick them all on a single disk, I'd be more inclined to burn them to a blu-ray as a data disk. No menus, though. You should probably test first, to be sure your blu-ray player can play data disks. For computer playback there's no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Manono, for that very helpful information.

My aim is to give the episodes to several elderly relatives as Christmas presents. They do have Blu-Ray players but I can't test whether they will be able to play video data files on BD-R. So, based on your advice, I will reckon to:
    - Rip the DVDs into individual episodes, using DVDDecrypter
    - Re-order the episodes
    - Re-author the episodes for 6 DVDs with simple menus
    - Give each relative a set of the DVDs

Thanks again for the advice. Naturally, any further thoughts you might have would be welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Tim Berlin View Post
    - Re-author the episodes for 6 DVDs with simple menus
    Yes, that will work. No reencoding and no further quality degradation.

Now, if keeping to the DVD format, and if the out of order episodes are on the same DVD, you can just reorder then with the DVD commands. For example, if on the 3rd disk the order goes 12,15,13,14,16, you can fairly easily change the menu commands so that episode 15 plays after episode 14 and not after episode 12. And change the menu so that episode 13 plays after episode 12 and episode 16 plays after episode 15. If they're on different discs, that won't work.

Simple menus can be created within AVStoDVD, and make sure to specify no reencoding. But you may already know how to do that using different programs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Update: After some trial and error this sequence worked well:

- Rip DVDs to HDU as .mkv files using MakeMKV
    - In windows, rename and re-order the MKVs into one folder for each output DVD
    - Using AVStoDVD, for each output folder of MKVs, create a DVD folder containing the VIDEO_TS etc.
    - Using ImgBurn, for each DVD folder, make an .iso image.
    - Again using ImgBurn, burn several DVDs of each .iso.

This may seem a longwinded process but once worked-out, it was actually pretty quick to get the episodes a) in the right order, b) fitting onto a logical series of output DVDs and c) without re-coding. I know that it is possible to burn with IngBurn from inside AVStoDVD but the sequence above worked better for me.

Thanks to manono for advice that put me on the right track.

Tim
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are using avs2dvd, you are re-encoding. Avisynth always decodes to uncompressed streams.

Scott
    Quote Quote