VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, another newbie question.

I have a favorite movie on Blu-ray that I want to capture single frames from for use as Windows 10 desktop wallpaper in 1920x1080 resolution. What is the easiest way to do this?

Gary in not so sunny San Diego today
    Last edited by Gary Salisbury; 10th Dec 2019 at 00:20.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Alt+PrintScreen and then Ctrl+v in Paint?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How are you viewing the blu-ray?Is it still in your blu-ray player or in your computer blu-ray burner/player or already ripped to your hard drive?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    How are you viewing the blu-ray?Is it still in your blu-ray player or in your computer blu-ray burner/player or already ripped to your hard drive?
    I am viewing on my computer from the original blu-ray disk. Would it make a difference if it was already ripped? Maybe there is copy protection on the bluray disk?
    Last edited by Gary Salisbury; 10th Dec 2019 at 00:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The program you are using to watch it should have a capture feature,doing a print screen capture won't work due there being a video hardware layer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Alt+PrintScreen and then Ctrl+v in Paint?
    Oh, I forgot all about that one. So I start the movie, go full screen, and when the scene come up that I want a shot of I just ctrl-prt sc and I get a 1920x1080 shot. Good however, the movie appears to be played in 1920x810 mode so I get black bars above and below the screen image. Looks like I might have to do some picture editing.

It appears my max resolution on my HP Envy is 1920x1080 so I guess I am limited to that resolution for capturing. Generally speaking, there are only two types of resolution for a commercial Blu-ray disc: 1080P (1920x1080 pixels) and 4K UHD (3840x2160 pixels). So even if I had a 4kUHD disk, I wouldn't be able to see or capture at that higher resolution, correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The program you are using to watch it should have a capture feature,doing a print screen capture won't work due there being a video hardware layer.
    I have VLC Media Player so I will check that idea out. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So are you saying that I would need to rip it first? Where can I find Blu-Ray ripping instructions? Are there recommendation for the best software to use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no play the video with vlc. pause at the frame you want. click on "video/take snapshot".
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gary Salisbury View Post
    So are you saying that I would need to rip it first? Where can I find Blu-Ray ripping instructions? Are there recommendation for the best software to use?
    The ability to take snapshots while playing an original Blu-ray disc has long been disabled in Blu-ray player software that is licensed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (Cyberlink PowerDVD Pro, Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra and Corel WinDVD Pro) as a condition of licensing.

Blu-ray player software that has the ability to take snapshots but has no BDA license, for example, DVDFab Player, can make snapshots while playing an original Blu-ray disc.

If the Blu-ray movie is ripped to a file, video player software with the ability to take snapshots, for example, VLC or PotPlayer, can make them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Dec 2019 at 23:24. Reason: edited second paragraph for clarity, corrected punctuation
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote