VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Recently I decided to make a 2nd backup copy of my Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray set. I wanted to (instead of having it broken up into episodes, create a single file per BD or Season).

Much to my surprise, only 1 out of every several DISCS (original commercial discs) are readable in my drive.

I started reading, and found there were issues with the firmware version I had upgraded to a while back. After reading that, I downgraded the firmware to the original version that came with the drive. Guess what? Still doesn't work.

Anyway, during my trials and tribulations with this, MAKEMKV tells me there are several features that are possible but not enabled. See attachments below...

Does anyone know how I can enable those mentioned features?

Thanks much...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 2.58.46 PM.png
Views:	225
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	51042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 2.56.45 PM.png
Views:	242
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	51043  

Last edited by crjackson; 7th Dec 2019 at 19:09. Reason: TYPO
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks... I downloaded and inspected the contents. Unfortunately the pack doesn't contain a firmware for my drive.

There is a firmware for the WH14NS40-NS50 but not the WH14NS40. I have no clue what the diff is but, I've read it won't work...

However, after reading other threads, it seems I may be able to cross flash to to eliminate a sleep bug and activate the other features. I'll try this tomorrow.

Any idea why this drive would suddenly stop reading some of the commercial BD's that worked perfectly in the same drive last year? These things are stored properly and have no dust, scratches, or smudges. No damage of any type. Can BD's just fail like that out of the Blu (pun intended)?
    Last edited by crjackson; 7th Dec 2019 at 19:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you might also try the dvdfab firmware downgrade tool - https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-drive-tool.htm
    your drive is listed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you might also try the dvdfab firmware downgrade tool - https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-drive-tool.htm
    your drive is listed.
    Interesting, but I can probably replace the drive for just a little more.
    Quote Quote  
  5. from the MakeMKV *****
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Thanks... I downloaded and inspected the contents. Unfortunately the pack doesn't contain a firmware for my drive.

There is a firmware for the WH14NS40-NS50 but not the WH14NS40. I have no clue what the diff is but, I've read it won't work...

However, after reading other threads, it seems I may be able to cross flash to to eliminate a sleep bug and activate the other features. I'll try this tomorrow.

Any idea why this drive would suddenly stop reading some of the commercial BD's that worked perfectly in the same drive last year? These things are stored properly and have no dust, scratches, or smudges. No damage of any type. Can BD's just fail like that out of the Blu (pun intended)?
    As this thread is pretty old you've probably learned by now that this drive uses and older hardware revision and cannot be flashed with current LibreDrive compatible firmware. As for BDs failing to rip it's most likely the drive crapping out as opposed to the discs. These are $50 drives so basically disposable.
    Quote Quote