VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    First I tried to use a dvc dongle with virtualdub but I could net get anywhere with deinterlace
    the using Magix Pro the end result was noisy and soft focus
    so help please

I DID FINALLY COPY IT TO A DVD hard drive then to a disc and finally to a mpeg file
    THIS IS NUTS if the format 720 by 480 standard picture I could make a combined new dvd with chapters not a problem but poor quality
    But if the same format but in wide screen No matter how I try the end result half way through the movie the sound goes out of sync
    different program get the same result WHY and how to correct

I have 6 to do so if anyone can assist I would most appreciated
    I realise vhs is poor and I am thinking of obtain a svideo model as that should help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VHS is noisy. Can not get away from that. And dubbing from VHS to DVD-HDD and finally to a dvd disk will just capture all that noise.

I do not quite understand your initial comment about vdub. But you should NEVER, ever, try to de-interlace as you capture. If you must de-interlace do it post-capture.

S-VIDEO will do little to improve noisy VHS just improve the colours.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    sorry I don't use deinterlace before after but what ever code one I try it does nothing the interlace stayed
    if someone can guide me on this irt would be appreciated
    I would prefer to know how as this method appears to be the best

using a mpeg from the dongle works but the focus is poor of a different capture program

I used the vhs tape direct to a hard drive then made a dvd copy on that machine
    I wanted to make my own menu so I put it to a file again and cleaned it up with a editor , still not flash
    the problem I am having is this its a wide screen movie and for some reason the sync always goes out n the latter parts
    I did one with a full screen and no sound problem any one know what the problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The basic way to assist in detail is to upload samples of the captures.

There is no inherent 'widescreen' in VHS unless by transferring it to the DVD-HDD it has done something to it internally. An mpeg2 capture using a capture device should always be 720*576 PAL. But do also confirm that you are not trying to capture a NTSC tape. That will have its own issues in PAL land.

Quality is also determined at the point of capture by bitrate. This has to be 4000bps or even greater for mpeg2. Capturing at mp4 rates 1500kbps or less will result in poor quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    appreciate your assistance
    I have 3 movies that are vhs with letter box format 2.35 :1 dolby transfer
    can we do this a better way please
    instead of playing with my faults

can you do a run though from start to finish

the set up on record and the to remove interlace and improve the picture quality

I read that some uses scripts but have no idea how to right one or even insert it in dub

I have been told that the best way is to find the latest Panasonic combo unit as that has built in recording enhancements and the copies look like normal dvd quality
    That a bit hard to imagine but I guess possible

the rub is I have only 6 NTSC movies to transfer so that cost would not be justified
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We had better start at the beginning.

You have confirmed that the tapes are NTSC. Is your vcr also NTSC ? Not an unreasonable Q. in my book given your location.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    funny that question Yes it would not have got this far using a pal now would it so the question would have been why is there no picture :0
    but appreciate that question anyway
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But a PAL vcr CAN play a NTSC vhs. So not exactly a funny question.

I would prefer you to persevere with the capture to PC method rather than a 'round-the-block' multiple passes with DVD-recorders. Much more control over quality and avoid any issues that a recorder could bring in to the mix. The higher the bitrate the better. Get a decent capture first and then we can move on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    ok so we are on the same page on this
    what would you suggest as a compression and what settings
    virtualdub I guess we are talking about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I will start with the normal full screen movies that way our conversation is standard
    once I get results then move to the letterbox

Incidentally with letterbox it does not fill the width of the screen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's no difference at capture level whether the film is full-screen or wide-screen. You will always capture at 720*480.

If you are using vdub then select a lossless codec such as huffyuv. Bitrates will well exceed 8000 kbps but you will get the highest (apart from uncompressed) quality.

If you capture with the program that comes with the capture device it is usually mpeg2 and then you capture at 8000 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    down loaded but huffyuv just in case but either wont show as installed . used as instructed inf install
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    this is the last attempt but its impossible to do this way to many parts to it

just to give you how stupid it got
    copied the vhs to a HD then made a dvd from the same unit
    put it on a computer and merged all tracks as they were mpeg
    removed the audio to mp3
    remade the file to avi
    used videodub
    run it through neat video demo
    used compression ffdshow and added there sharpener
    then compiled to dvd format dvd disc with sound added again

if the sound was not added at the final stage it would be out of sync

but look at the size it makes not a full screen if one pushes it out then one looses the focus
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VTS_01_2.VOB_snapshot_02.25.468.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	51049  

Last edited by xenon1; 7th Dec 2019 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Get the movies on Blu-ray or DVD and be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a famous line in the film 'Amadeus' where the Emperor asks Salieri his opinion about the music of Mozart.

The response sums up my own opinion about the above work-flow "Too Many Notes"

You are encoding, re-encoding, filtering, re-encoding again all with probably little regard for bitrate. And every encode loses quality. The filtering probably is the most destructive unless you really know what you are doing.

Yet that would work if, for want of repetition, you had a high quality lossless source to work with. Go back to the huffyuy install and do it again but use the .exe. It will then appear in your compression list in vdub.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    installing it just won't install cant find a EXC one
    ride this rundll32 C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSectio n DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv64\huffyuv.inf
    that came up will cant install

bit of a pain in the ass
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies. Tis a long time since I installed this. There is no .exe

But there is a readme which states...

To install Huffyuv, right click on huffyuv.inf and select "Install."

which is the standard way to install from an .inf file
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    it just won't install come up as error
    even tried a older version and in command

what other codes would be workable
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We have no info regards your OS. You do have a 64-bit OS else I can well understand why the 64-bit version will not install.

There are alternative lossless codecs such as Lagarith. The installer may come as an exe but the OS rule still applies.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    OK ow we are ready to try a run with your help

so as not to complicate lets try it this way

what setting would you like me to try Lagarith as the compression any adjustment on that
    any suggestion on the section picture ratio and colour settings
    once we have the capture then I can get back in touch with you
    I realise that this method comes out with full interlace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I no longer have Lagarith installed. It is somewhat outdated now and there may well be a reason why I did not re-install it and favoured huffyuv.

I see no reason why huffyuv should not install and you appear somewhat reluctant to answer simple questions ie OS = Operating System.

If you MUST use Lagarith I suggest you search the forum for appropriate topics about it. There are some parameters there that I do not possess the knowledge of ie colorspace and it would be careless of me to attempt to guide you in that regard. There may also be some user-guides linked from the download page or even on the web.

If you must experiment - even just doing a short sample - then choose yuv12 as the colorspace. The source is NTSC VHS so picture ratio must be 720*480. If memory serves these codecs do not support aspect ratio so that is adjusted post-capture.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    at last its in can't explain why it did not show so many attempts
    64 so \
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Do a short sample capture (1 minute or so) of one of those wide-screen. Leave huffyov at default (Best) settings. Upload it here as an attachment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can I ask a few pertinent questions.

1. Is this VHS of The Alamo the longer edition ? If it is the slightly truncated one then simply, as already stated, get the dvd. I do own a two-tape version of the longer edition and, if memory serves, did a capture. No idea where that is tho right now.

2. You were writing about NTSC tapes. So why oh why is this capture at 25 fps and at a frame size which is neither NTSC or PAL. Look at your vdub settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for clarity, 640*480 is a valid capture size for NTSC - takes the 4:3 framing away from 720*480 but 640*470 ??. That smells of head-noise cropping at the point of capture which is a no no.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by xenon1 View Post
    That cap is full of duplicate frames and is missing many frames. Some general rules:

Capture NTSC video at 720x480 at 29.97 fps, PAL video at 720x576 25 fps. You can crop and/or resize later if necessary.

Hard drives are generally not fast enough to keep up with uncompress video capture. Always use a fast lossless codec while capturing. I recommend UT Video Codec these days. It installs 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the codec. And it installs both DirectShow and VFW (two different video subsystems on Windows) versions.

Don't attempt any filtering while capturing. Filtering takes time and may cause frames to be dropped.

Do not capture as RGB. Capture as YUY2 or YV12. Set the video codec to the proper settings for the chosen color format.

Don't capture to the boot drive. Windows will be using the drive for other things at times -- causing dropped frames in the capture. Capture to a second drive. If it's an external drive make sure it's USB3. USB2 and earlier versions may not be fast enough.

If you are using VirtualDub: do not play the audio while capturing (Audio -> Enable Audio Playback -> OFF). That will cause dropped frames and A/V desync.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/104098-Why-does-your-system-drop-frames
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/112800-Why-does-your-system-have-audio-video-sync-issues
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    1 I have both dvd and buray with 5.1
    this is the 3hour14 minutes and I have tried so many years to get a pull from the laser disc
    so its a try and get a reasonable one from this new was sealed vhs tape

2 I have almost no knowledge of virtualdb
    that why I was hoping to get a run though to save a lot of people time and my mistakes
    the tape is ntsc
    virtual acts storage on correction it from pal to ntsc
    after I set up the file location there is a dual picture Great
    then select the compression and select record
    No picture only a bottom guide its working
    all I want is the knowledge to get the best I can from this movie
    then I can do 6 more that have not gone to dvd or bluray

am I asking to such then I apologise
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But you are not answering the concern. How did you manage to select 25 fps where you know this is 29.97 fps NTSC.

On the 'Capture' menu the settings selection defaults to 15 fps so that was changed by you. I do not think there is another setting for frame rate.

And equally where did the 640 * 470 come from ? Do not go near the 'cropping' dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    strange thing happen
    I have reset it to 720*480 and ntsc with difficulty it just would not change from pal
    now I don't get two screens
    and no picture
    the right mouse klick does not bring up the display panel
    Quote Quote