Thread
  1. Hello guys, now I'm facing another situation, I have this file about 2.5Gb

Metadata:
    major_brand : isom
    minor_version : 512
    compatible_brands: isomiso2mp41
    encoder : Lavf56.36.100
    Duration: 00:54:37.67, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 5725 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: mpeg4 (Advanced Simple Profile) (mp4v / 0x7634706D), yuv420p, 1666x940 [SAR 1:1 DAR 833:470], 5592 kb/s, 18.67 fps, 18.67 tbr, 18666 tbn, 20 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
    handler_name : VideoHandler
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 127 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
    handler_name : SoundHandler

I need to filesize max of 650mb
    I need to do it fast because I have to convert about 45 files
    I need quality 480p or 720p

Any way to do it?
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i source.mkv -vf scale=w=-4:h=480 -codec:v libx264 -preset veryfast -b 1100k -acodec copy output.mkv
    That took about 7.5 minutes on my i5 2600K.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can convert all the files in a folder with a batch file:
    Code:
    for %%F in (*.mp4) do (
        ffmpeg -y -i "%%F" -vf scale=w=-4:h=480 -codec:v libx264 -preset veryfast -b 1100k -acodec copy "%%~dpnF.new.mp4"
    )
    Put that batch file in the same folder as a bunch of MP4 files and double click on it. All the files will be reencoded to 1100 kbps.

veryfast doesn't provide the best quality. Try a slower preset if you can bare the longer encoding times. Other presets for x264:

ultrafast
    superfast
    veryfast
    faster
    fast
    medium
    slow
    slower
    veryslow
    placebo

For example, the slow preset will get you better image quality but will take about 3 times longer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Jagabo, thank you for your help, the quality of this convertion is very poor, video show like slow motion and the camera transition is very notorius, so, I have to check with the slow preset. I have another question, maybe is not in this trend, I have some files in .ts I need to convert to .mp4 and I don't care the filesize, just need the same quality, I dont know if ffmpeg works on this kind of files or if I have to try another software, I have ubuntu server and only know about ffmpeg and mkvmatroska.
    Thank you four your help and time !
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tomasrage View Post
    Jagabo, thank you for your help, the quality of this convertion is very poor, video show like slow motion and the camera transition is very notorius, so, I have to check with the slow preset.
    Something isn't working right. Switching to the slow preset probably won't make much of a difference. Can you make one of your sources available so I can test it?

Originally Posted by tomasrage View Post
    I have another question, maybe is not in this trend, I have some files in .ts I need to convert to .mp4 and I don't care the filesize, just need the same quality, I dont know if ffmpeg works on this kind of files or if I have to try another software, I have ubuntu server and only know about ffmpeg and mkvmatroska.
    Thank you four your help and time !
    If the codecs are suitable for the MP4 container you can use ffmpeg to simply remux.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "input.ts" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "output.mp4"
    or with aac audio:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "input.ts" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -absf aac_adtstoasc "output.mp4"
    Remuxing will not change the quality of the video or audio.

If you need to reencode the video:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i input.mkv -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -acodec copy output.mp4
    The combination of preset slwo and crf 18 is pretty transparent at normal playback speed. But if you find it's not good enough use a lower CRF value -- that will give you higher quality and a bigger file. Around crf 12 you can hardly see a difference even with A/B switching still frames and using a magnifier. Conversely, if you find the result is too big and can live with lesser quality you can use a higher crf value.
    Quote Quote