VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am trying to connect my Black Magic Designs ATEM Television HD switcher to my PC using Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate editing software. I would like to use the MULTICAM CAPTURE feature. However, I need to select the correct HDMI to USB device and not sure which manufacturer/model to purchase to overcome the issue. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video that is delivered via a camera's USB connection is compressed by the camera prior to output. HDMI video output is a form of uncompressed video. Since Pinnacle Studio is designed to work with compressed video, you would need an USB capture device that accepts HDMI input and outputs compressed video via USB.

Unfortunately, I don't know which (if any) of that kind of HDMI capture device could possibly work with Pinnacle Studio for multi-cam. Pinnacle only mentions using cameras and web cams for this feature. Also, even though Pinnacle Studio can perform video capture, Pinnacle itself does not make this type of capture device or list any third-party HDMI capture devices as compatible with its software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Dec 2019 at 15:28. Reason: clarity & spelling
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would say, a Magewell Dual or Quad HDMI capture card, such as this: https://www.magewell.com/products/pro-capture-dual-hdmi. However, I do not see that app listed in the 50+ certified compatible apps, so YMMV.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Magewell also has a USB 3.0 capture device with a single HDMI input. https://www.magewell.com/products/usb-capture-hdmi-gen-2

I forgot about one unusual aspect of Magewell's USB capture devices that might be useful here -- capture software sees them as webcams. However, as already noted, neither Magewell's nor Pinnacle's documentation provide any confirmation that Magewell's devices work with Pinnacle Studio.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    usually_quiet & Scott; Thank you very much for your input. I watched You Tube videos on the Magewell HDMI to USB device and it seems like it will work. I have ordered it today and will post the results at a later date.
    Quote Quote