VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I own the shield, its a great device and I like the controller vs the remote but the OP wants an all in one box, I don't blame him some people have large collection of movies and videos and juggling them thru storage media can be a pain.
    True, the KDLINKS A400, has an internal compartment -- for one HDD. By your logic, it would also require users to swap out HDDs if their video collection spans multiple drives.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Nov 2019 at 21:46.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the OP already owns a NAS I don't understand why he doesn't just get a player that can access the files on his NAS. Maybe he want's something that he can take on the road with him?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    True, the KDLINKS A400, has an internal compartment -- for one HDD. By your logic, it would also require users to swap out HDDs if their video collection spans multiple drives.
    Still, 4 or 6 TB better than 64-128GB SD cards and flash drives, that's as high as a single player solution can go, any higher than that requires a NAS which I suggested in my first post.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still, 4 or 6 TB better than 64-128GB SD cards and flash drives, that's as high as a single player solution can go, any higher than that requires a NAS which I suggested in my first post.
    As I understand it, all models of the NVIDIA Shield TV are supposed to permit using one external storage device at a time for removable storage of files other than games or apps. That external storage device could be a USB 3.0 flash drive or a USB 3.0 hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1TB SD cards and 2TB flash drives are available, though at an extremely high price.

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't need or use a NAS for my 120TB (80TB+ used) of storage spread across 15 HDDs in two 8 bay multi-drive enclosures and connected to my laptop through a USB hub. The primary backup for my drives are another set of drives in three 4 bay enclosures with the remaining drives in bay docks on my main PC. My secondary backup are my original discs. Yes, I stand a risk of losing everything in a catastrophic disaster, but if that happens, rebuilding my collection will be the least of my worries.

Not only do I not care about [streaming] my videos to any other device than my TVs, [but] because 99.9% of what I critically watch is Asian, subtitles are a must and sometimes are flaky through streaming devices. I've tried DLNA, Plex and Mezzmo, but all fall short, especially when dealing with different types of separate subs.

For my secondary TV setup, I have a 4 bay enclosure with those videos, primarily series and variety shows that I can't watch on my primarily TV since it's a plasma and prone to image retention from the logos on these types of shows.

Edit: It's always fun to see 15 physical drives in Q-Dir (my alternative to Windows Explorer). What's really funny is that my collection is peanuts compared to what some others have. Why do I need all the drives available at once? When I sit down to watch a movie/show/video, I'll sometimes change my mind of what I watch on the spur of the moment. I plan to watch a comedy, but decide to what horror or something else. I have a general idea of what movies I have, but I collect primarily by director/actor/actress and strive to get as complete a collection of them as possible.
    Last edited by lingyi; 28th Nov 2019 at 00:36.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I understand it, all models of the NVIDIA Shield TV are supposed to permit using one external storage device at a time for removable storage of files other than games or apps. That external storage device could be a USB 3.0 flash drive or a USB 3.0 hard drive.
    As I stated above, I've heard conflicting reports about how the Shield handles multiple hard drives either through a hub or a multi-bay enclosure. Given that the Shield's OS is a customized version of the Android OS, and I've had issues with multiple drives with my Android Box, I suspect there's a limitation in the OS itself. It's not a power issue as my multi-bay enclosures are fully powered.

My beloved WDTVs could recognize 8+ external HDDs in their own enclosures [fed] through a powered USB hub. I recognized they were ready to die (the WDTV) when the drives either separate or in the multi-bay enclosure started to fail to be recognized.

Yes, I realize my situation is unusual, but just stating my nearly 20 year journey from my WDTVs and Seagate Theatre+ to Roku (streaming only) to an Android box to my laptop and PC for my media player needs.
    Last edited by lingyi; 28th Nov 2019 at 00:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    As I stated above, I've heard conflicting reports about how the Shield handles multiple hard drives either through a hub or a multi-bay enclosure. Given that the Shield's OS is a customized version of the Android OS, and I've had issues with multiple drives with my Android Box, I suspect there's a limitation in the OS itself. It's not a power issue as my multi-bay enclosures are fully powered.

My beloved WDTVs could recognize 8+ external HDDs in their own enclosures [fed] through a powered USB hub. I recognized they were ready to die (the WDTV) when the drives either separate or in the multi-bay enclosure started to fail to be recognized.

Yes, I realize my situation is unusual, but just stating my nearly 20 year journey from my WDTVs and Seagate Theatre+ to Roku (streaming only) to an Android box to my laptop and PC for my media player needs.
    I did just clearly state that an NVIDIA Shield TV device could only use one external storage device at a time for removable storage. I suspect this is indeed a limitation of the Android OS. However, with Kodi installed, an NVIDIA Shield TV device is supposed to be able to access files stored on a DLNA device.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for being "That guy", but remarks like these confuses me:

"I once saw a Nvidia hooked into a powered USB hub with 4 drives, I suspect the biggest flaw is the number of USB ports available. I have had my PC with multiple drives connected via USB to the Nvidia, and could access media. (I confess) Although I haven't had two drives on at once, I have had one drive + a router USB drive connected at the same time (which in my book counts as two)."

"I'll check - but with a USB hub I don't see any reason why the Shield TV would be limited to a single hard drive per USB port ? USB Hub support is normal on almost all USB devices. My current 6TB WD HDDs have an integrated USB hub built in - and it's quite useful to daisy chain them in some situations. A USB hub effectively allow multiple USB slave devices to share a single USB port on a master device. You are limited to the maximum bandwidth of the single port, but there are no issues with multiple devices being used simultaneously within that restriction.

***EDIT : Yes - as expected USB hubs work fine. My WD Hard Drive with integrated USB 3.0 Hub - with a second HDD plugged into one of the USB sockets on the drive's hub - works fine. Both drives are seen via the single USB connection to the Shield TV***"

Source: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336724

I've also read comments like yours that state the Shield will recognize only one drive at a time. I've been contemplating getting a Shield for several years and it seems the comments change with each new model. So it definitely seems due to something in the Android OS.

Oh well, I've moved past Android for my probably unusual media player needs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    We all have different ways to store and enjoy media files but this is not about us, the OP wants a player with internal storage and we gave him few suggestions it's up to him to make that call.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for being "That guy", but remarks like these confuses me:

"I once saw a Nvidia hooked into a powered USB hub with 4 drives, I suspect the biggest flaw is the number of USB ports available. I have had my PC with multiple drives connected via USB to the Nvidia, and could access media. (I confess) Although I haven't had two drives on at once, I have had one drive + a router USB drive connected at the same time (which in my book counts as two)."

"I'll check - but with a USB hub I don't see any reason why the Shield TV would be limited to a single hard drive per USB port ? USB Hub support is normal on almost all USB devices. My current 6TB WD HDDs have an integrated USB hub built in - and it's quite useful to daisy chain them in some situations. A USB hub effectively allow multiple USB slave devices to share a single USB port on a master device. You are limited to the maximum bandwidth of the single port, but there are no issues with multiple devices being used simultaneously within that restriction.

***EDIT : Yes - as expected USB hubs work fine. My WD Hard Drive with integrated USB 3.0 Hub - with a second HDD plugged into one of the USB sockets on the drive's hub - works fine. Both drives are seen via the single USB connection to the Shield TV***"

Source: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336724

I've also read comments like yours that state the Shield will recognize only one drive at a time. I've been contemplating getting a Shield for several years and it seems the comments change with each new model. So it definitely seems due to something in the Android OS.

Oh well, I've moved past Android for my probably unusual media player needs.
    I thought that there was a definitive answer to this question from NVIDIA somewhere but I can't seem to find it again. I could only find instructions for expanding internal storage for games and apps via a USB drive.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We all have different ways to store and enjoy media files but this is not about us, the OP wants a player with internal storage and we gave him few suggestions it's up to him to make that call.
    My response was in answer to your previous post:

Not only is a NAS not required for large storage solutions, but 256GB & 512GB SD and flash drives are common and reasonably priced. Also 8TB & 10TB external drives (always decase them) are the sweet spot for price per GB (at least in the U.S). and there was a sale a month or so ago for a 12GB WD external for $180 / $15GB.* While there are some devices that have a 4TB HDD limitation, most devices treat >4TB drives the same as 4TB.

*14TB drives are available now with 16TB around the corner.

Edit: I just checked and 16TB Seagate drives are available now. Surprisingly starting at <$30/TB / $480
    Last edited by lingyi; 28th Nov 2019 at 17:06.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Again, that's not what the OP wants.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Neither is a NAS that you recommended twice and stated is necessary.

"Still, 4 or 6 TB better than 64-128GB SD cards and flash drives, that's as high as a single player solution can go, any higher than that requires a NAS which I suggested in my first post."

I'll leave you the last word if you wish as I agree we've strayed off topic.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Get a USB drive. Glue an Adroid TV to it. Now you have a single device that plays local videos.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Get a USB drive. Glue an Adroid TV to it. Now you have a single device that plays local videos.
    Do you mean a smart TV with Android TV as its OS, like some of the recent Sony smart TVs?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Neither is a NAS that you recommended twice and stated is necessary.

"Still, 4 or 6 TB better than 64-128GB SD cards and flash drives, that's as high as a single player solution can go, any higher than that requires a NAS which I suggested in my first post."

I'll leave you the last word if you wish as I agree we've strayed off topic.
    Because the NAS is tacked away or stored in the closet or even the attic not a bunch of hard drives and wires dangling all over the place next to the player that's why I recommended it if he wants more storage than what a media player can internally store. I see what he is coming from, A lot of people don't like to see bare drives and wires around their HiFi and video setups. For the exact same reason I didn't attach any external drive to my shield in my media room.

He stated what he wants here:
    Look I appreciate that people are providing these suggestions but I want to make clear I just want to keep it really simple: one streaming or dvr device that happens to have the ability to play back media locally and offline. No PC, USB, blah blah blah
    So NAS still a good idea.

Last edited by dellsam34; 29th Nov 2019 at 15:51.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the return, but the OP (who has disappeared) stated: "And no external hdd, nas, pc, etc."

Originally Posted by connorhawke View Post
    Not sure what you mean by no USB, but media players that have a HDD bay are rare.
    I mean no USB dongle. And no external hdd, nas, pc, etc. Nothing beyond the one device itself. And not seeking a media player like the KDLINKS A400. Seeking something like Apple TV (which I have, but it seemingly can't accomplish this). Although I guess a streaming device with an hdd bay is even rarer if not nonexistent.
    Quote Quote  
  18. lets wait for OP to react to all of these..
    Quote Quote  
  19. At least one of the TVs can play audio/video directly via usb. I put the files on a usb stick and will try that. (I realize I may have said no usb before but that was before I learned what the options are limited to.)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read the manual for what limited types of files your TV will play. If you're not sure what it means, list the files that will and won't play with a complete Mediainfo log to see what the difference is and what you need to do to make the unplayable file(s) playable. Note that there will be quality loss if you have to (likely) reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do this with a streaming tv(phillips), a server (dell) running freenas, gigabit network switch (got tired of trying to stream all those big files), and a selection of emby, plex, and jellyfin servers (depending on what I wish to do). however he does not want this yet seems to want its functionality.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Read the manual for what limited types of files your TV will play. If you're not sure what it means, list the files that will and won't play with a complete Mediainfo log to see what the difference is and what you need to do to make the unplayable file(s) playable. Note that there will be quality loss if you have to (likely) reencode.
    So I plugged in the 512gb ntfs-formatted usb stick straight into the tv and used its media browser feature. The m4a audio files play but the mov files either don't or in one case seems to be stuck loading or takes a very long time loading. I will look into what conversion to do to get the video files to play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Dune HD TV-30 3D (discontinued):
    (http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/36)
    Similar to the "Dune HD Pro 4K Plus"
    My 303D ran so hot with internal hdd, I now only run it via usb hdd. Ditto my 'go to' player, my oold Argosy player. 3½' hdd = ran super hot!
    I got a Micca media player (MPLAY HD), to experiment with (NOT the speck!!!)(me with more money than good sense & not too many years left to squander it!) It has a micro SD slot (up to 128 G) 2 usb ports, etc. If internal drive is etched in stone, dont bother looking, but I think it is worth consideration, , , ,

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  24. So to test I converted a few to mp4, which played back on the tv via the usb stick but picture lagged at parts and usb got warm quite quickly, both presumably consequences of playing large video files via this device. I guess I'll have to try another method. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I'll take a closer look at these.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of my USB drives get hot, some really hot when writing or reading large files. It's a RAM stick after all and RAM get's really hot, especially in a PC, where high performance ones have heat sinks. I've pulled SSDs out of my PC and external case immediately after writing files to them and have learned to wait a few seconds for them to cool down!

There's a current thread where the OP (it's not you right? <grin>) is having issues playing his video files from a USB drive directly on his/her HDTV. He/she said a 20MB/s file is choppy, but a 10MB/s file plays fine. My initial guess was that it may be the USB 2.0 (most HDTVs don't have USB 3.0 or higher). but I'm able to play all my files from my external USB enclosures fine on my laptop which has only USB 2.0 ports.
    Last edited by lingyi; 31st Dec 2019 at 22:46.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    All of my USB drives get hot, some really hot when writing or reading large files. It's a RAM stick after all and RAM get's really hot, especially in a PC, where high performance ones have heat sinks. I've pulled SSDs out of my PC and external case immediately after writing files to them and have learned to wait a few seconds for them to cool down!

There's a current thread where the OP (it's not you right? <grin>) is having issues playing his video files from a USB drive directly on his/her HDTV. He/she said a 20MB/s file is choppy, but a 10MB/s file plays fine. My initial guess was that it may be the USB 2.0 (most HDTVs don't have USB 3.0 or higher). but I'm able to play all my files from my external USB enclosures fine on my laptop which has only USB 2.0 ports.
    ^ Not my thread. But I noticed the same: more lag the larger the file.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try playing the files through your external hard drive to eliminate the USB drive as cause of the slowdown which I suspect is the media player. Also check the specs of your [files] with Mediainfo as the range file settings on a built-in media player is very narrow. Also check your audio specs as that my be an issue.

jagago gave a good rundown of things to check here:

Check your TV's manual to see what h.264 Profile and Level are supported (Format Profile in MediaInfo). You'll probably see something like Main@3.2 or High@4.1. That is supposed to be indicate the properties of the video (settings used to create it, limits on certain features):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Levels

Most players outside a PC don't support High10, High 4:2:2, or High 4:4:4. High10 has become more popular in recent years as it is less susceptible to banding.

MediaInfo only reports what's flagged in the header -- any program can write anything it wants there. So its report is not always accurate.

Another property that limits many players is the max number of reference frames. The higher the reference frames the more memory a device has to have to decompress the video. Many devices are limited to 4 or 5 reference frames. The h.264 spec supports up to 16.

"Also the max number of consecutive B frames. Many devices are limited to 2 or 3. The h.264 spec supports up to 16."

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394956-How-can-I-tell-if-a-video-is-compatible-with-my-TV
    Last edited by lingyi; 1st Jan 2020 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If found something that would meet the OP's needs. Single box with an internal drive, but it sucks eggs! The DVDFab Media Server is basically a KDLinks knock/ripoff for $199. Okay, that's in line with KDLinks, but according to the website it's running a customized version of Android 5.1, circa 2014! Not just sucks eggs, but 5 year old rotten eggs!

I know the Android OS' don't have major changes with each release and apps are generally compatible several generations, but Android 5.1 in a premium box today would be like, ohhhh...Win XP?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Intel nuc pc with a nas or usb hard drive of sufficient size to hold all your movies etc. (Something with raid / nas backup to at least two drives ideal to protect against a single drive failure.)

Hdmi from the pc to tv.
    Wireless mouse/keyboard for control (mini handheld models available).

Add Hauppauge wintv 950 usb tv tuner if you want to watch and Record broadcast TV (like the superbowl, abc, cbs, nbc, fox) free.

Because it's a pc, not android, it streams, downloads, and plays all media formats without any issue. Add a dvd/bluray and it can rip everything. No issues with the "illegal" downloads either.

If you want it in one box, build a miniATX etc pc with drives, tv tuner, etc inside. Also, if you want to turn it into a Full gaming rig, drop in any nvidia card appropriate for the games you play. You can emulate tons of game systems, too - genesis, snes, ps3, wii, etc.

And best thing about it being a pc = your tv is now the monitor for your pc and it's 100% ready and capable of doing work, school, video editing (avid, premiere, Vegas Video, davinci, etc), photo editing (Photoshop, gimp, darkroom, Lightroom), social media, etc.

Can't even run full Photoshop in any android box to edit your photos right.

Later, if you want to set up a fully capable media and file server accessible anywhere, the pc can do it. Can even remote in from a phone to watch live tv.

https://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/build-pc-home-theater
    Quote Quote  
  30. The TV didn't play MOVs and converting all of the videos to MP4s/etc would take days so we just decided to use the usb as a vessel to transfer the desired media to a mac where it could be temporarily stored and played.
    Quote Quote