VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Please write me. which media do you recommend for creating bootable discs to install Windows or scan for viruses?

Please call the brands or media ids.

Regards,
    Александр
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    USB flash drives?
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used Verbatim DVD-R AZO for creating Windows installation media when I installed Windows 10 on a new computer and Windows 7 on an older computer this year. It is the same DVD media I use for video. However, there are now many computers that don't have a DVD drive or a Blu-ray drive so the use of flash drives as installation media is becoming more common.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    These days, dvd and even bd is too slow for most people.
    I'd go with a usb flash drive (or better, usb 3), or ssd.
    Big difference in speed.

But if you are STUCK using only dvd media, follow what usually_quiet said.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim DataLife AZO or Taiyo Yuden. The only two known and proven good media today.
    Quote Quote  
  6. best: commercially pressed discs
    next: Verbatim AZO Datalife Plus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL if you use inkjet printable discs you can almost even make them look like they're real. except the discs won't have a holographic hub....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Until you turn them over!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you for answer. Sucessfully used Arita. It is opened to be more reliable for Ihas 122 USB becomes more common, but when you need multibooting on UEFI board. It is very hard to make bootable DVDs with more than one OS. USB with Single OS USB is faster, but more expensive than disc.
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I used Verbatim DVD-R AZO for creating Windows installation media when I installed Windows 10 on a new computer and Windows 7 on an older computer this year. It is the same DVD media I use for video. However, there are now many computers that don't have a DVD drive or a Blu-ray drive so the use of flash drives as installation media is becoming more common.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks everybody for answers. Created installation DVDs of Arita. They opened to be most reliable for me drive. Tested with Nero discspeed.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I still make some bootable CDs and DVDs -- most typically like when there is a new edition of the periodic Gandalf or Strelec Diagnostic / Repair / Utility set. (Much less the former, whose releases became rather erratic, and some time ago went exclusively over to the flashdrive format, because his set insists on writing some data, and does not seem willing to write it to a temp RamDisk. Strrelec does not suffer from that limitation with his. I have some computers that just won't boot from a flashdrive, even though they are supposedly capable of it, and no matter what settings you apply in the BIOS.) I also regularly make some more music CDs for playing in the car.

Anyway, the other day I went looking for some more blank CD media that I hoped was not Ridata, and not made in China. Not so easy to find. Found some "HP" CD media that does not mention its mfr. origin, but I took the chance and Imgburn says that it is CMC Magnetics. I was struggling to recall what had become of CMC ? Hoping you won't be telling me that it's now part of that crappy Ridata . . . . If it is, I'd like to find out about any much better alternative that may still exist. For blank DVDs, too. (I still see the Verbatim AZO being sold. Or is that on the way out too ?)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For most of the world, the only available DVDs (not sure about CDs) are made by Ritek (which is in Taiwan) or CMC Magnetics. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden have sold the formula and manufacturing rights to CMC years ago. They have been manufacturing AZO and TY discs according the the original specs, but there's always the possibility that may drop the formula and quality in the future, leaving us with only the 2nd tier or worse discs.

Edit: Are you sure what you saw were AZO discs? As I posted in this thread, CMC is making it really hard to tell what are really AZO and what aren't
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    USB flash drives?
    Absolutely. Especially for virus and security scans since it is easy to update for the latest signatures. Also, much faster than DVD.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    For most of the world, the only available DVDs (not sure about CDs) are made by Ritek (which is in Taiwan) or CMC Magnetics. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden have sold the formula and manufacturing rights to CMC years ago. They have been manufacturing AZO and TY discs according the the original specs, but there's always the possibility that may drop the formula and quality in the future, leaving us with only the 2nd tier or worse discs.

Edit: Are you sure what you saw were AZO discs? As I posted in this thread, CMC is making it really hard to tell what are really AZO and what aren't
    I think I was aware of the controversial packaging issue. Pretty sure that I have never purchased any of the "Life Series." The last 50-spindle of AZO Verb DL that I got said "Made in the U.A.E.", which I was told here had been the case for some time, and which were still (supposedly) reliable and the best available. I believe it may still carry the same SKU as when that media was Made in Taiwan. (?) Of course, that may not mean anything . . . .

Those Maxells from NewEgg that reported themselves as being TY03: they aren't still available, are they ?

I have not ordered anything from Rima in quite some time.

If anyone has relevant, current, known good SKU #s and online order links (from places that accept returns, if it turns out not to be the desired item), it would be good to know them. Some of us do still have use for this media, in the overall scheme of things.

And, for whatever it may be worth, I just bought a small quantity of M-Disc blanks from Amazon. No idea exactly what that may be, or whether it could live up to its billing, but if claimed "long term archival grade" media is no good, what else could you call that but fraud ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote