VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    It works fine in the capture program it comes with, but I'd rather capture with less compression. I have the drivers downloaded, I can only get a video to appear in virtualdub2 64 bit if I have it set to "Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32) (VFW)" but even that captures odd, it doesn't deinterlace correctly. The device "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture (DirectShow)" does not show any kind of preview and will have an error when trying to capture. Only on virtualdub 1 (64 bit) does it show a black screen when set to overlay. I can change all the settings for it though and everything appears normal but it just doesn't work. I did try changing the settings around but still nothing.

Does anyone else who uses this have any ideas? Do I need any other software or drivers to get it to work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may be wrong here but I do not think that vdub can capture with DirectShow. It must use a vfw driver. That is what I use with this device.

If you want to use the Hauppauge with DirectShow then use Dscaler

And if you are capturing interlaced footage such as VHS then never, ever, try to de-interlace at the point of capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I may be wrong here but I do not think that vdub can capture with DirectShow. It must use a vfw driver. That is what I use with this device.

If you want to use the Hauppauge with DirectShow then use Dscaler

And if you are capturing interlaced footage such as VHS then never, ever, try to de-interlace at the point of capture.
    I'm not trying to capture it as progressive but it appears the VFW is capturing as progressive, how can I change that? In this tutorial with another DirectShow device it does work for them: https://youtu.be/sn_TDa9zY1c

If using VFW is right I will use that but I want to make sure that it is the "correct" way so I don't have to redo it if there is some problems with that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just did a quick test capture using vfw under the Hauppauge and huffyuv as the compression.

Mediainfo reports the capture is interlaced (the only thing I changed apart from the compression was the capture frame rate from 15 to 25fps for PAL)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Well I just did a quick test capture using vfw under the Hauppauge and huffyuv as the compression.

Mediainfo reports the capture is interlaced (the only thing I changed apart from the compression was the capture frame rate from 15 to 25fps for PAL)
    Where can I see that in mediainfo? When I go in VLC and go frame by frame (with deinterlacing off) it has two frames obviously interlaced then two or three which look like they aren't then back to two interlaced frames, and repeating that pattern.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies.

DirectShow does work for this device.

1. Select it under the Device Menu
    2. Select 'Capture Device' under the Audio Menu. Don't ask why it works that way but it does.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    My apologies.

DirectShow does work for this device.

1. Select it under the Device Menu
    2. Select 'Capture Device' under the Audio Menu. Don't ask why it works that way but it does.
    Unfortunately for me that doesn't work
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Actually, It does work now for some reason, but I can't see the preview, and see the attached file, it has some kind of problem, for me in Sony Vegas it shows it being progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Here is the sample
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both overlay and preview are working for me.

I do not have Vegas but mediainfo also reports your video as interlaced. As does another program that I occasionally use.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Both overlay and preview are working for me.

I do not have Vegas but mediainfo also reports your video as interlaced. As does another program that I occasionally use.
    I think you are right it is interlaced, I put it through QTGMC and it deinterlaced totally fine, but for some reason playing the interlaced file in VLC doesn't seem to work well with its real time deinterlacing, at least for me. Well if QTGMC works then that's all good I guess, I'm not really going to be looking at the originals. (I am keeping them though)

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. AVI doesn't include an interlace flag. MediaInfo is just guessing. VLC is assuming it's progressive. If you force it to deinterlace the combing will be removed (try yadif 2x) . The video itself is obviously interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by BillyJeanB View Post
    …..The device "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture (DirectShow)" does not show any kind of preview and will have an error when trying to capture...

Does anyone else who uses this have any ideas? Do I need any other software or drivers to get it to work?
    Try VirtualVCR. It works with the Hauppauge Cx23100 DirectShow filter.
    http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
  14. A lot of people report success with amarectv after having problems with VirtualDub. You don't need their $30 codec. It can use other system installed codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I captured my whole vhs-collection with Hauppauge USB-Live2 a few years back. I tried VirtualDub but could not get it to work so Amarectv was what I ended up using. With Huffyuv.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A lot of people report success with amarectv after having problems with VirtualDub. You don't need their $30 codec. It can use other system installed codecs.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. That program was going to be my next stop if Virtualdub didn't work but It seems to work fine now so I'm just going to stick with it as long as it keeps working
    Quote Quote  
  17. Don't use AmarecTV above version 3.10. The later versions will require you to buy their codec, and I seem to remember that I had to do a bit of registry cleaning after uninstalling v4.?? before I could get v3.10 working properly with my USB Live2.
    Quote Quote