VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this is the right place in the forum to ask.

Is it possible to speed up video playback to restore original playback speed? without screwing up video?

some TV networks i noticed speed up TV shows so they can fit more commercials, so instead of the original 44min, its now 41min.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
    Is it possible to speed up video playback to restore original playback speed?
    Wouldn't you want to slow it down to restore the original speed? 41 minutes back to the original 44, to use your example.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes you are right, sorry bad wording
    Quote Quote  
  4. So, you set a lower framerate than what it already has. That can be done with some videos formats, but it'll throw the audio out of synch so what's the point?
    Last edited by manono; 22nd Nov 2019 at 14:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    can be done, but not without loss, as the networks either do that through editing, or through time compression which BLENDS frames, so slowing down won't get rid of the blends, and could very well add more if you don't do it correctly. And as was mentioned, the audio would need to be correspondingly time-expanded also as well to maintain sync (though audio is MUCH easier to do in that respect).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ...or through time compression which BLENDS frames...
    Or time compresses by removing fields. I didn't even go into that aspect of it (that more often than not the video isn't just speeded up) because undoing time compression by someone that can't figure out how it was done in the first place is useless because more often than not he'll get it wrong.

If he wants to provide a short 10-second sample of something, we could offer more informed advice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use the AVISynth AssumeFPS(24) (or 23.976 if for DVD) and slow the audio to match.
    Quote Quote