VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Fellow forum users,

Who can help me with a little problem i have regarding the .TS to .VOB conversion.

I will explain as good as i can :

- I started with a Bluray
    - I re-coded the Bluray to a movie-only BD25 using BD-ReBuilder
    - I re-coded the resulting Bluray to DVD using DVDFab 11 (which does a pretty good job at that)
    - Then i had a problem, i was very disappointed of the quality of the Subtitles which DVDFab produced, they were NOT smooth and rather ugly
    - So i searched online for a solution and came up with the following, maybe lot of work but i'm totally satisfied with the result

- I used DVDShrink to clean up the movie (sometimes there are things i don't need or want like double audio-track or multiple subtitles), kept the highest quality video (DVD-9) with 1 audio-track (English) and 1 Subtitle (DVD produced by DVDFab)
    - Then i used VOBEdit to Demux all 3 streams
    - Used Subtitle Edit to OCR the Subtitle to the Retail Subs as .SRT (why DVDFab uses soo much Italic is beyond me but i remove them here)
    - Then i Remux the .M2V - .AC3 & .SRT using TSMuxer (this gives me total control about the correct Audio Language (set to English), the Subtitle and the Font to use
    - The output is one large .TS file aprox. the size of a DVD-9, which quality is perfect, Video-, Audio- & Subtitle-wise, i couldn't have wanted it any better

Now is the problem that i just can't find the right tool to convert the .TS to COMPLIANT DVD .VOB files divided in 1Gb chunks, and now the second important part, without re-encoding the video again, as it is as good as it can get already as .TS

It might be a really simple last step but i just can't find it anywhere (maybe i use the wrong searchwords)

I tried some tools like Bandicut (which re-encoded the whole .TS to terrible quality) and DVDStyler (which managed to remove my Subtitles, quality is pretty good by the way)

Please note, i don't care about DVD-menu's etc. Just the main movie but if there is a program that can do the job without re-encoding but adds some kind of menu, i can simply remove that using DVDShrink

It might be quite a story to read but it will almost certain avoid lots of questions

There must be a program that can do this, i think, rather simple task of converting a .TS to compliant .VOB
    (for FREE - Perfect, a paid program - as long as it does the job i won't complain)

If there will araise minor problems like, Subtitle Color, loss of Chapter-Times etc. I know how to solve such things

I have never used .TS files before but as far as i found online, it is quite common with camcorders and HDD-recorders so there should be an easy way to burn those recordings to DVD which will play in virtually every DVD- & Bluray-player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - Then i Remux the .M2V - .AC3 & .SRT using TSMuxer (this gives me total control about the correct Audio Language (set to English), the Subtitle and the Font to use
    - The output is one large .TS file aprox. the size of a DVD-9, which quality is perfect, Video-, Audio- & Subtitle-wise, i couldn't have wanted it any better
    Well what I would have done, if my DVD player could handle MKV files on a disc as data simply make a MKV file using the .M2V, AC3 and SRT files directly into MKVToolnix and burn the resulting mkv file onto the disc as data, no authoring etc... many newer DVD players can handle a range of video and audio formats as data either on disc or a usb stick. No menu's just the movie with subtitles that you should be able to turn on or off via the DVD remote.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no conversion. VOB is from authored DVD. TS is a transport stream from broadcast or some other conversion.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the output you selected in TSMuxer.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TS muxer.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	50939  

SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. @netmask56 I don't want a MKV, i can do that with DVDfab. My goal is a Compliant DVD with .VOB files of 1Gb each

Edit : Yes, i used the 'TS Muxing' since the other options aren't what i want, i've done quite some testing the last couple of weeks

@lordsmurf What do you mean 'There is no conversion' ? What do i need to author the .TS file to create the wanted DVD (without re-encoding if possible, because i've seen too many programs that give terrible results once they've done that)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you really want to Author the TS file to make a conventional DVD with the usual loss of quality from BD quality to DVD you could use Vidcoder, it happily accepts TS file with subs. Done it a few times for a friend who is old school an insists on playing off disc rather than hdd via a media player
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you, i will try it tomorrow, never heard of it, hope it does the job i want.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought that Vidcoder is similar Handbrake and can convert from TS to MP4/MKV but doesn't convert from TS to DVD.

AVStoDVD should be better able to convert Blu-ray video and some kinds of Blu-ray audio to a DVD with no menu or a simple menu, although it can't convert Blu-ray subtitles to DVD subtitles. AVStoDVD does take SRT subtitles as input to produce DVD subtitles.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Nov 2019 at 16:08.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Marauder20003 View Post
    Hardly. Why didn't you go directly from Blu-Ray to DVD using BD-Rebuilder, without jumping through all those hoops?

Backup Blu-ray to a single MP4 file(profiles for iPad and iPod) or a MKV file or a DVD-Video(movie only, no menus and extras).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oops I meant AVStoDVD not Vidcoder.... sorry about that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am still struggeling with various programs to get what i want. I totally overlooked a setting in DVDStyler to keep the subtitles. I'm gonna try that out a little more.
    AVStoDVD is next on my todo list, if only i had some time to do it, i'm pretty busy at the moment but will give it a go one of these days, thanks for the heads up.

I never tried BD-Rebuilder to convert to DVD, i always thought it converted to BD-9. I must try it to determine the quality of the video produced by it but since it produces good quality BD, the DVD quality can't be bad.
    Quote Quote