VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM

2. Making them, no. Owning a global media corporation, probably.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens

3. Billionaire? No.

Make money? Definitely.

However, you'll have to find a market to sell to outside of Kenya. My daughter worked in Kisumu, so I have a pretty good idea, through her, what conditions are like there. Even in Nairobi, money is hard to come by.

However, the other side of the coin is that Kenya has amazing sights and sounds, and if you have an eye for video and if you have a real talent, you can make big money. Your best bet is to do jobs for international corporations and other organizations that have deep pockets. I've sold video to both Sony Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel, to name two. Sony paid top dollar; the Smithsonian didn't have the same kind of budget, but still paid decently.

Don't be afraid to ask what you're worth. Find out what top videographers get in the field you choose to operate, and don't be afraid to ask for the same, if you are good.

My son-in-law has a sideline photography business where he travels to locations like Kenya and shoots products against various spectacular natural backgrounds. He is now getting really large retainers from over half a dozen well-known brands. Those retainers are now as big as what he gets from his main job (which pays quite well). He often hires a professional drone operator from England when aerial photos are needed as part of the assignment. That person mostly does videos, and does work for major advertisers, motion picture production companies, and extremely high-end weddings (quarter million dollar budgets and up).

You will NOT get big money by posting online or, for that matter, doing anything online. You need to deal directly with people or organizations that have money, and get them to pay you directly. The idea of making money by getting a penny a click from millions of people works for a few apps in the Apple app store, and for a few YouTube channels, but it is generally nothing more than a good way to starve slowly.

The key (as I've said twice already): you've got to be good.

4. if you are GOOD OR VERY TALENTED or POPULAR... maybe... But most of the time ... so so

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The path to great success is always same. Extreme hard work, extreme knowledge and extreme talent (artistic, innovative, etc). Maybe add in a bit of luck. Right place, right time, right product, right contacts, on and on.

6. Yes, easily -- if you live in Venezuela. But 1B Bolivars will barely buy you a decent new car in the USA.

https://www.exchange-rates.org/converter/VES/USD/1000000000

Search Comp PM
    1 Kenya shilling = 0.0098 USD

So a billion is 'only' 10 million USD.
    Over time, for a director, $10M net worth is attainable.

Good luck.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChapmanDolly View Post
    Making them, no. Owning a global media corporation, probably.
    thanks so much for the reply bro

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Billionaire? No.

Make money? Definitely.

However, you'll have to find a market to sell to outside of Kenya. My daughter worked in Kisumu, so I have a pretty good idea, through her, what conditions are like there. Even in Nairobi, money is hard to come by.

However, the other side of the coin is that Kenya has amazing sights and sounds, and if you have an eye for video and if you have a real talent, you can make big money. Your best bet is to do jobs for international corporations and other organizations that have deep pockets. I've sold video to both Sony Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel, to name two. Sony paid top dollar; the Smithsonian didn't have the same kind of budget, but still paid decently.

Don't be afraid to ask what you're worth. Find out what top videographers get in the field you choose to operate, and don't be afraid to ask for the same, if you are good.

My son-in-law has a sideline photography business where he travels to locations like Kenya and shoots products against various spectacular natural backgrounds. He is now getting really large retainers from over half a dozen well-known brands. Those retainers are now as big as what he gets from his main job (which pays quite well). He often hires a professional drone operator from England when aerial photos are needed as part of the assignment. That person mostly does videos, and does work for major advertisers, motion picture production companies, and extremely high-end weddings (quarter million dollar budgets and up).

You will NOT get big money by posting online or, for that matter, doing anything online. You need to deal directly with people or organizations that have money, and get them to pay you directly. The idea of making money by getting a penny a click from millions of people works for a few apps in the Apple app store, and for a few YouTube channels, but it is generally nothing more than a good way to starve slowly.

The key (as I've said twice already): you've got to be good.
    This is just priceless,l now know l need to get over the fear of getting outside and go and work my ass off as you have beautifully illustrated everything practically and realistically?

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, easily -- if you live in Venezuela. But 1B Bolivars will barely buy you a decent new car in the USA.

https://www.exchange-rates.org/converter/VES/USD/1000000000
    bro ur a funny one,thanks anyway or cracking me up

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    1 Kenya shilling = 0.0098 USD

So a billion is 'only' 10 million USD.
    Over time, for a director, $10M net worth is attainable.

Good luck.
    thanks for the feedback dearly appreciate it

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    The path to great success is always same. Extreme hard work, extreme knowledge and extreme talent (artistic, innovative, etc). Maybe add in a bit of luck. Right place, right time, right product, right contacts, on and on.
    thanks for the words,l barely sleep 3 hours per night ,am waiting for the luck and being at the right place,right time

13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    if you are GOOD OR VERY TALENTED or POPULAR... maybe... But most of the time ... so so
    Gracias sinyorita

Search Comp PM
    Willingness, patience, and correct monetization will help you in this. The main thing is to learn from the best.

15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Daniel-J View Post
    Willingness, patience, and correct monetization will help you in this. The main thing is to learn from the best.
    do you mind highlighting some great personalities that you know?

Search Comp PM
    Taking this question with a big pinch of salt and say: Short answer No. You might make some money if you entered the industry as a grip or best boy though! Hard, graft and beg Martin Scorcese for an internship during summer might help. Short of that win the lottery!

17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by azmoth View Post
    Taking this question with a big pinch of salt and say: Short answer No. You might make some money if you entered the industry as a grip or best boy though! Hard, graft and beg Martin Scorcese for an internship during summer might help. Short of that win the lottery!
    thanks man,hopefully ,you are doing well in lnstabul

Search Comp PM
    win the lottery!
    Probably better odds compared to this goal.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    win the lottery!
    Probably better odds compared to this goal.
    you are a legend my friend

Search Comp PM
    Probably make more "giving away" million$ "for a small fee"!
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?

21. Then as a followup you can create world piece, eliminate hunger, and save the environment.

22. Misspelled piece. Shouldn't it be peace? (a state or period in which there is no war or a war has ended.)
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan

23. LOL, yes, peace! Or maybe he can go to prison, sentenced to hard labor, where he can break the world (rocks) into smaller pieces.

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Probably make more "giving away" million$ "for a small fee"!
    You are. Ajoker aren't you?

25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    LOL, yes, peace! Or maybe he can go to prison, sentenced to hard labor, where he can break the world (rocks) into smaller pieces.
    How old are you mate?

26. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The people who are billionaires have people work hard to make money for them, Working hard is only going to get you a decent wealth such as a crook politician, an actor or any kind of talented creation. If your parents are not billionaires, chances are you will not be one.
    In the extreme cases with a very good luck it's not impossible to become a billionaire if you are smart but by then you will be too old to enjoy the money, however your kids will have a different life than you had.

27. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If your parents are not billionaires, chances are you will not be one.
    Not really true, if you look at the data. The Wall Street Journal ran a story just three days ago (2019-11-20) showing a chart which breaks down the source of all billionaire fortunes, worldwide. Europe has, by far, the largest number of billionaires who inherited their wealth, but even there it is only 1/3 of the total. In the USA, 2/3 of the billionaires created their fortune by working for it, either as a founder or senior executive (40% of all USA billionaires); or through capital management (25%), something which includes investment banking, venture capital, and hedge funds. Yes, they had people working for them (no one makes big money all by themselves, even musicians like Taylor Swift), but they were the people who took the risks and had the drive to make it happen.

[edit]
    Here is a link to the WSJ article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-fewer-billionaires-could-mean-for-the-rest-of-us-11574267129

It is behind a paywall, but I think they may permit a few free viewings per month, like the NY Times does.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 23rd Nov 2019 at 13:31. Reason: add link

28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Not really true,
    If If your parents are not billionaires, chances are you will not be one. is not true that means: If your parents are not billionaires, you will be one.

Are sure about that?
    You are quoting me as if I said If your parents are not billionaires, you will never be one. You must be drinking some cool aid.

29. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Not really true,
    If If your parents are not billionaires, chances are you will not be one. is not true that means: If your parents are not billionaires, you will be one.

Are sure about that?
    You are quoting me as if I said If your parents are not billionaires, you will never be one. You must be drinking some cool aid.
    Huh? I think you need a refresher course in basic logic. Learn about converse, inverse, contrapositive and syllogisms.

https://www.varsitytutors.com/hotmath/hotmath_help/topics/converse-inverse-contrapositive

Your may think your logic sounds clever, but it actually gives you the wrong conclusion.

Also, I quoted you by hitting the "quote" button and did not alter your words. When you say I quoted you "as if I said ..." that implies that I changed your quote. I did not.

It also obscures the facts in the article I linked to and also violates what most of us know about entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs (and most other famous startup leaders): they were dirt poor and had no inherited wealth, at all when they started out. Gates came from an upper-middle class family, but his family was most certainly not any richer than any other family fed by a garden-variety attorney (which is what Gate's still-alive father was during his career).

The last ten years of my career was spent consulting with startups and working to get them funding with venture capital firms or wealth entrepreneurs (who had cashed out and were looking to invest their money).

Of the over 100 clients I had during that time, not one of them had a dime in the bank.

All of this has nothing to do with the OP's desire to make money making video, which was a perfectly logical and appropriate question to ask. He has been met with a lot of snark because he posed the question in a provocative way (i.e., making "billions"), but the fact is that you can make quite a lot of money shooting video and I know quite a few people who make well into six figures (American dollars) shooting still photos, and others who shoot video. The key is to do the work for people or organizations who have deep pockets. That is why I recommended that he find clients outside of Kenya, a country with very few people or organizations who fit the profile I just described.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If your parents are not billionaires, chances are you will not be one.
    Correct.

In the USA, 2/3 of the billionaires created their fortune by working for it,
    or senior executive (40% of all USA billionaires);
    No. They alone created nothing. They made their fortunes off the backs of their employees. It's a major reason income inequality is a major political sticking point now.

or through capital management (25%), something which includes investment banking, venture capital, and hedge funds.
    These people are mostly parasites, feeding off others, often destroying lives to make their bucks.

but they were the people who took the risks and had the drive to make it happen.
    No. Many people take risks, have drives. The main difference is your socioeconomic circle, and luck -- something the 1% vehemently detest hearing, because it shatters their fictional narratives ("eBay was for a little old lady trying to buy/sell/trade Pez dispensers", etc). It takes money to make more money, almost nobody starts from broke.

even musicians like Taylor Swift),
    To use your example, Taylor Swift's dad is/was a stockbroker for Merrill Lynch, her mother the same (but could afford to quit). The girl went to private schools, etc. She came from money, and just made more money. Her parents did not start off with millions/billions, but it was still closer to the 1% than not. "Risk" and "hard work" probably were not as steep as you'd think. She's never known anything but luxury since she was in diapers, and it shows. She is a b!tch, a total cvnt. In terms of her thin skin and lashing out at others, she's Trump with tits.

The Wall Street Journal ran a story just three days ago (2019-11-20) showing a chart
    Here is a link to the WSJ article:
    WSJ is a conservative rag/tabloid these days. The idea that "anybody can be rich too!" is a conservative nonsense talking point, one that they use to sucker in lower-caste voters. When not starting from money, it's near-impossible to overcome entry.

also violates what most of us know about entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs (and most other famous startup leaders): they were dirt poor and had no inherited wealth, at all when they started out.
    Exceptions to a rule do not overrule the rule.
    Rule = Most wealth comes from wealth.
    Exception = Poor person got rich. (ie, Steve Jobs)

The key is to do the work for people or organizations who have deep pockets. That is why I recommended that he find clients outside of Kenya, a country with very few people or organizations who fit the profile I just described.
    Again, this is where socioeconomics comes in. You have to travel in those circles to get that work. Getting into said circles is not an easy feat if not already within its ranks.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 27th Nov 2019 at 12:12.