VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi
    I start to rip my 3d bluray for my plex,Kodi and my LG c6 3d 4k tv to half-tab or half-SBS.
    I notice something strange when I play the 3d mkv rips straight through usb on the tv. The movie starts and auto switch to 3d but if I disable the 3d I see 2d only one image. Should be 2 images sbs or tab? Am I missing some settings? This is not happening when I play on android box with kodi or plex. Disabling 3d it will show 2 images. I try it on an LG tv 3d from 2012 and the same thing happens.
    Thank you

Search PM
    If your mkv rips are using mvc instead of tab/sbs, that would make sense. Especially, as you say it "auto-swiches" into 3d.

Scott

3. Hi
    other rips that I downloaded are auto switch to 3d but disabling the 3d I see to images sbs or tab. And the TVs are not recognize mvc as far as i know.
    Thank you

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Scarredjoker View Post
    ...Should be 2 images sbs or tab?
    I wonder. I can imagine, that when you disable 3D on a TV, it will not show in 3D, but can still recognize the input as "3D". And thus will put out a "proper" 2D picture.

5. Yes. But I said I have downloaded quit a lot of half sbs and half tab and disabling 3d on TV it will show 2 images in 2D as it should be. But not with ones I rip with bd3d2mk3d. If the rip I make will be full sbs it will make more sense maybe. And this it happens only when I use external drive to the tv. I fill like is a setting that I missing. My concern is do not end up ripping 100 movies and are not playable on all devices.
    Thank you

Search Comp PM
    YBut not with ones I rip with bd3d2mk3d...
    And this it happens only when I use external drive to the tv.
    Ah, I think from your first post I couldn't make out or understand that it was only the ones directly from usb to tv, and created with BD3D2MK3D.

7. Yes that's right. Only the ones directly through usb to the tv and created with bd3d2mk3d.I have 2 LG TVs one c6 2016 and one from 2012. The same thing to both. Playing them through kodi or plex on nvidia shield I dont have this issue.

Search Comp PM
    Right off the bat, there are two things I would think of. First, can it be in the filename? I can imagine software, dealing with 3D, reacting on that. I know hardware can.

Secondly, maybe it's in the headers of the mkv? You can compare (and edit) the headers of two differently behaving files in mkvtoolnix's header editor and see if there's any differences.

9. Ok I will check the headers this afternoon with mkvtoolnix. The filename on the ones I make is H-TAB and I left it like this because the TV recognize it and auto switch to 3D and ofcourse kodi and plex too.

Search Comp PM
    OK. To be "safe" I would suggest using "working copies" of the original files.
    When "playing around" with headers, I can imagine the possibility of ending up with a corrupted file.

11. Ok. What exactly you mean working copies? Sorry I am just quite new to ripping 3D movies

Search Comp PM
    I meant making working copies of the 3Dmkv files in case you would go editing the headers for testing purposes.

So, as in: don't go tinkering with your original files, but with a copy of them.

13. Thank you. I will compare two 3dmkv with mkvtoolnix this afternoon and let you know

14. I compare two movies with headers editor but I didnt see anything different in values. I also try to leave the video track and audio and remove everything,subs,chapters track names but nothing changed. Still have a normal 2d image when turning off 3D. Image
    [Attachment 50920 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 50921 - Click to enlarge]

Search Comp PM
    Right now, I can't think of a reason why this would only be with mkv's that are created with BD3D2MK3D.

But, may I ask what your goal is to to put both views via usb on the tv?

16. I was just looking the movie "Goosebumps 2015" 3D H-TAB made by someone with bd3d2mk3d 0.65v and Is exactly the same thing. So I suppose this how bd3d2mk3d encodes. I don't have a goal only i concern is my rips to be playable to all devices. I dont want to start rip 100 movies and find out after that will not play on most devices because of this "issue" if it is actually an issue.

Search Comp PM
    ...with bd3d2mk3d 0.65v...

So I suppose this how bd3d2mk3d encodes...
    Latest version atm is 1.17 I believe. And I doubt if it's in the encoding. I think it's about the pictures for both left and right eye being in the same frame.

...that will not play on most devices because of this "issue" if it is actually an issue.
    And with "most devices" you mean "non 3D" and "3D" capable mediaplayers and/or tv's? In that light, I highly doubt whether SBS and TAB were designed to be backwards compatible with 2D viewing. My non-3D mediaplayer plays the double picture in case of a SBS/TAB file. When I feed it an ISO of a 3D bluray, it will play in 2D fine. Because 3D bluray is compatible with 2D (it works with separate, full HD streams for each eye). Only a 3D player would recognize 3D is this case.

FYI there can also be 2D playback issues with 3D players. My first Mede8er (still have it) when set to "2D-mode", puts out the double-picture. My guess, it's a firmware bug. Luckily in this case, my 3D TV is "smart enough" to recognize input to be 3D and set it to proper picture in 2D-mode. But you can imagine the issue when playing on a non 3D tv.

So, is this an issue indeed? These "most devices" each run on their own firmware, OS or whatever, each with their own bugs and difference in interpretation.

18. Yes I mean most for the 3d capable tvs,mediaplayers,projectors,ect. I dont mind if is like that,only concern one day maybe I will change the tv and every 3d that I rip with bd3d2mk3d will not be playable in 3d. It can be a firmware as you said from the moment kodi on nvidia shield shows correctly the 2 images when 3d is disable.

Search Comp PM
    Then you should indeed watch out what kind of device you get. Friend of mine bought this big *ss, brand new UHD "smart" TV, with all bells and whistles, but no 3D playback capability. I can imagine having problems them, when playing 3D.

Search PM
    Here is what I think is going on...

Knowing that:
    1. The TV internally may or may not have a 3d-capable general media player.
    2. If it does understand 3d, it may or may not understand 3d encoding and/or metadata.
    3. If it understands 3d encoding, the prime form of service-compatible encoding would be mvc. If it sees sbs or tab, etc, (which are merely frame-compatible forms), only the fileformat headers or supplemental metadata would denote 3d to the app.
    4. Mk3d is the only container that has well documented 3d metadata.
    5. Hdmi 1.4b+ input should allow 3d-compatible streams in multiple forms (framepack, tab, sbs, 1/2tab, 1/2sbs, checkerboard...).
    6. Regardless of those streams (except framepack - which is explicitly for 3d), it is the SEI signalling metadata stream that lets the tv know to switch automatically into 3d mode (and assuming is formatted correspondingly, it should pick the proper format.
    7. Mkv did not originally explicitly support 3d, and have since changed the 3d metadata standard, twice, I think.
    8. A similar variety of playback capability exists on the pc side, with some players explicitly supporting 3d (stereoscopic player, potplayer, bino...) and some implicitly supporting 3d but perhaps sporadicly (vlc, kodi...), others only supporting specific 3d formats (powerdvd...).
    9. Said players may or may not support various forms of 3d, various forms of mkv/mk3d, as well as various features of hdmi 1.4+ 3d streams.
    10. To say nothing of the various capabilities of the video card & its drivers, re: hdmi 1.4b+.

I would venture a guess that you have a mixture of some mvc encoded mkv (mk3d) files, some sbs/tab encoded new-form mk3d files, some sbs/tab encoded old-form mk3d files, and some sbs/tab encoded standard (2d-equiv) mkv files.
    The files that are of the first 2 types might show automatically as 3d on a 3d tv when using a capable player, and will show as standard 2d on a 3dtv using same player. Less capable player might still know how to handle mvc encoding (3d auto, but std 2d fallback), but will only show sbs/tab as 3d in auto mode yet show raw sbs/tab in 2d mode. Less capable players will only show auto 3d with mvc but must manually engage 3d & choose layout when using sbs/tab.
    You can test this matrix of options (format vs auto/manual vs local/hdmi vs player...) but it will take a while.
    Or you can just roll with it.

Scott

21. Yes all the 3D mkv (mk3d) rip by me or others with bd3d2mk3d are showing 1 image when 3D is disable. The other ones I have they will show 2 images when 3D is disable. I dont know what soft they used as is no details in mediainfo.i think I read something similar about this and had to with the aspect ratio settings to be set 2:1in bd3d2mk3d for some LG tvs. But that settings are only for "full" sbs or tab. Maybe I am totally wrong and has nothing to do with it. The good thing is the 3D is playing without any issues on TV and shield.

Search Comp PM
    ...I am just quite new to ripping 3D movies
    BTW, I don't know if you are aware that re-encoding (to whatever form of 3D) is not necessary? If you would do a rip yourself from a 3DBD, would you re-encode to save storage space? If not, you can choose to keep the original streams (and quality) to a "movie-only" 3D mvc mkv. Or 3DBD iso. Compatibility differences between several playback-devices may help you choose the right format.

23. Yes I know I tried one mvc remux that I rip with makemkv from iso but the tv and my nvidia shield didnt recognize the 3d. I could play them only on 2d. So this is why I decided to go with tab or sbs. I dont mind for the size. I want them to have the best quality possible so I use the crf to 15.

Search Comp PM
    You can remux to 3DBD movie only iso.
    Maybe BDRebuilder can do this as you can set it to movie only. But I would not know for sure it supports 3D.

I always do remuxing to 3D manually in tsMuxer. It's a bit of learning, not really difficult though. Beware that tsMuxer (and BDRebuilder) will not decrypt your disc. For input, you'll need a decrypted ISO or BD folder structure.

Maybe you want to give it a try and see if your hardware supports this.

Search Comp PM
    Sorry, double post
    Last edited by Ennio; 20th Nov 2019 at 23:59. Reason: double posting

26. I try already with makemkv iso and remux mkv but tv and shield don't recognize them as 3d. I try through plex too but not luck. So solution will be get a new media player that will support iso and mvc mkv but I will be limited to play them only from there. Or make tab sbs with a very low crf to get a very good quality and be playable on all devices.

Search Comp PM
    I didn't know that MakeMKV could create 3DBD iso.

28. Sorry about that,it will create a BD folder of your disk. Just choose backup disk and it will decrypt to BD folder and after you make an iso with it.with a soft of choice.

Search Comp PM
    Ah, ok. You did use the right settings for BD Video ISO file? I mean as for data-type and file system? Don't know it for sure, but I can imagine mediaplayers and tv's not accepting ISO when these settings are wrong.

30. Yes I did. I even try m2ts file made wit tsmuxer but It didn't work had only the 2d. I dodnt think is anything more compatible than tab or sbs if you want your 3d to play everywhere. I will keep for the moment bd3d2mk3d and try to make them close to the original size of the 3d bd track.