VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using my faithful Lite-On iHBS112 for years to read/write DVDs and BluRays without any issue. But today I bought one BluRay that is giving me some trouble. It's a simple BD50, nothing out of the ordinary. However, when inserted Windows doesn't detect any disc in the drive and I have no idea why. I've tried other BD50's and everything still works like a charm, what could be wrong with this disc?

I don't think it's related to encryption or anything, because the disc doesn't even appear. I've tried with and without AnyDVD-HD to make sure, but nothing. Should I return the disc for an exchange?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1st try restarting your computer and then try your Bluray disc.
    if that fails, then try uninstalling your PC's Bluray drive, restart your computer
    and let windows reinstall the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well you put me on the right track there, I found out there was a firmware update for the drive. After running it the disc could be read, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I'm having a similar problem, but as my user name suggests I'm not tech savvy enough to know if it's the same issue. I'm trying to make digital back-ups of my physical collections and I had a couple of discs give me an issue. One of them is the standard blu-ray of Cabin in the Woods. I've done hundreds of rips at this point and this is the first one to give me an issue.

I put it in and it won't load. Plain and simple. MakeMKV tries but nothing ever happens. The disc is clean and the drives are new.

I've tried it on both of the following drives:
    1. LG WH16NS40
    2. ASUS BW-16D1HT

Would this issue be solved the same as above? Thanks for any input.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can try updating the firware of the ASUS by downloading the BIOS update here https://www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/HelpDesk_Download/ (you only have to execute the file). But it could also be an issue with MakeMKV. Or a form of copy protection. Can you access the disc in your OS?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TechnicalPhilistine View Post
    Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I'm having a similar problem, but as my user name suggests I'm not tech savvy enough to know if it's the same issue. I'm trying to make digital back-ups of my physical collections and I had a couple of discs give me an issue. One of them is the standard blu-ray of Cabin in the Woods. I've done hundreds of rips at this point and this is the first one to give me an issue.

I put it in and it won't load. Plain and simple. MakeMKV tries but nothing ever happens. The disc is clean and the drives are new.

I've tried it on both of the following drives:
    1. LG WH16NS40
    2. ASUS BW-16D1HT

Would this issue be solved the same as above? Thanks for any input.
    it sounds like makemkv cannot open the disc, you might want to try dvdfab and see if that program works.
    dvdfab is always updated to handle the newest copy protections.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ZetaStax View Post
    You can try updating the firware of the ASUS by downloading the BIOS update here https://www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/HelpDesk_Download/ (you only have to execute the file). But it could also be an issue with MakeMKV. Or a form of copy protection. Can you access the disc in your OS?
    I updated the firmware as you suggested, no luck. And no, I can't open the disc in my OS. Granted, the only media player I have installed on my machine is VLC. I don't know if that supports playback straight from a blu-ray disc?

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    it sounds like makemkv cannot open the disc, you might want to try dvdfab and see if that program works.
    dvdfab is always updated to handle the newest copy protections.
    I was thinking of doing this. I've ripped just under 200 discs from various companies and manufacture dates with the hardware I'm using, and I've only had 2 discs fail to read. My initial thought was trying a different software but I wanted to be sure before I spend the money. I'm not super tech savvy so I wanted to consult the experts before I committed to any action.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Quote Quote