VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I watch Danish TV (DRTV) VOD from abroad. Many of them are open files free to watch worldwide. But I don't speak Danish, so I have to turn subtitles on to understand the content. However, unlike many other TV websites (Norwegian NRK, Swedish SVT, German ZDF), their subtitles can't be translated on the go by Google Translate (in-built next to address bar in Google Chrome). They are not hardcoded but I think they are YouTube type.
    I decided to extract them via Inspect and then translate them. I typed timedtext, subtitles, undertekster, vtt, srt - you name it - in Filter. But - no go. Example: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/ekspeditionen-_-paa-sporet-af-vitus-bering_85168. This is an open video, no VPN needed. Any ideas, folks, any workaround via Inspect? I'm by no means an advanced user. So I doubt I could learn to use youtube-dl, CCExtractor and the like.
    Also, ARTE TV VOD often only have in-built French or German subtitles. Are there any ways of translating hardcoded subs?
    Computer gurus, thank you all in advance.
    makepeace@sfletter.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strangely, I've been trying to figure out the exact same thing the past couple of days. I finally got it, but it's not as straightforward as I've found it with other sites, like RTVE, Prime and Netflix. Maybe for experts, but that's not me.

Anyway, it seems that the way the player works is that it downloads the video as lots of smaller discrete files. Similarly, the subtitles also download as smaller separate files. The only way I've found to get all of them together is by letting the whole video play, then searching the filter field for "subtitle". That search will definitely work when the video has played long enough for the files to start downloading.

I speak enough Danish to struggle through the videos, but it'd be a lot more enjoyable if I could read the subs beforehand. With the amount of work involved, I'll probably just continue struggling through.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TSDoctor will extract them as SRT and do a lot more if you have a need
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote